“Convenient and Clean”

Ranked #38 of 237 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Convenient and Clean”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Initially difficult to find as 7a is not that close to 9 and 11, its on the other side of a Multi-storey parking lot. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised when I walked inside. Nice reception area and the friendliest greeting yet. Very helpful receptionist who explained all to me and spoke English as well (I'll never improve my German at this rate although they will speak German to you if you ask). Once up in the small lift, the room key was a strange fob where you had to press the button on the door handle first and then put the fob up against it, but it worked every time so was able to get in. The room was small -although I had booked a single so can't complain- clean and functional. No free water in the room €3.50 a bottle if you drink it, and a view out to a brick wall. I've come to learn that unless you pay €150 + in German cities, don't expect too much!
Quite a few restaurants nearby but I opted to get some food from a small supermarket and stay in my room (how sad!). Free WiFi helped to pass the evening and relieve the boredom of German Television. After some initial noise the hotel was quiet and I slept pretty well.
Breakfast the next morning was nice and again the staff were very helpful.
I'd return again but this time book the double!

Room Tip: Book a double! The back rooms don't have a view, the front ones might be noisier as they look ou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Brisbane
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel is in the perfect location for whatever you want to do in Dusseldorf, close the the restaurants and pubs and very close the all the great shopping Dusseldorf has to offer. It is a short 2 min walk from the Rhine and around 10 minutes walk to the Rhine Tower and 15mins walk to the Media Harbour.

The staff are super helpful in answering question on how to get around.

The hotel room itself was very clean. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daisygirl_79
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

If you want to be walking distance to the Altstadt, this is a great hotel. We stayed here on a Germany trip with our three teenage boys. It was clean and spacious, our room backed into a middle atrium so road noise was not an issue. It was not a highlight hotel, nothing special, but pleasant. The breakfast was also very good with lots of variety.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the big A + A show in Dusseldorf. Please take into account that Dusseldorf is a city I visit often (will be back again next month) and therefore have a pretty big base for hotel comparisons. Read on for what I saw as the Great, Good, Bad and Ugly with some bottom line-type comments, and then I will close by answering THE hotel review question. Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Location: When you stay at the Carathotel, you are steps from the heart of the Altstadt (Old town) and, by extension, Dusseldorf itself. I rate this location as being 'very good' as a base to visit the Messe Fairgrounds but 'outstanding' for experiencing Dusseldorf itself. I have been to Dusseldorf many times before (and like trying something new every time) but have NEVER stayed at this ideal of a location. It is also worth mentioning there is a neat open air market just outside the hotel's door - especially useful in the morning. So, while you are at the heart of things here, I disagree with others that there is a downside. I did not experience any unbearable outside noise at night. of course, I stayed in November - perhaps outside noise is worse in warmer weather. Still, just TRY to top this location.

GOOD

* Service: I found the staff to be exceptional at this hotel - above what I tend to experience at other Dusseldorf hotels. I arrived too early for check-in and they graciously kept my bags in a safe place and allowed me access to an area to change and shower so I could hit the fairgrounds and begin work.

* Guten Morgan: I was pleasantly surprised to learn my reservation included the extremely generous breakfast buffet, which goes over and above the basic yogurt and bread you will encounter at most other hotels. It was great to eat as well as I did as I generally walk for nine hours straight in the fairgrounds halls. It was much appreciated.

* Room Within: While space in the hotel lobby, grounds, etc. is somewhat sparse, I found the room size itself to be relatively generous for a Euro hotel of this class. The room was clean 'enough' and generous. I stayed alone but the room size would have been okay with someone else.

BAD (Room for Improvement)

* Temperature Control: I left after a four day stay still unsure if the temperature control system ever really worked. It was an vintage radiator dial control that I set or re-set multiple times and was never really sure if it worked. It was November and chilly - the room was always warm enough but there were a few times in the morning I would have liked some kind of noticeable heat boost that never seemed to happen. Not a big deal, but it could have been under different circumstances.

UGLY

* Das television war zu alt!: There was a time not long ago that I would give a hotel extra credit if my room featured a nice flat-screen television but . . . that was then. Now, I think it counts against a hotel if my room is absent one. Yes, my room featured a small old 'cube' style television. I did not watch much television and this older model worked well enough but . . . this is a review and there is some updating needed here.

BOTTOM LINE

* While I feel many reviewers of this hotel get a little carried away at times, the fact is that reviewers of hotels on Tripadvisor are inherently negative - that the Carathotel Dusseldorf has so many reviewers singing its praises here speaks volumes. It is a very good hotel.

* I recommend staying here equally on personal time or while in town for a show. The Konigsallee U78 (messe fairground line) stop is a several minute walk. It's very manageable.

* Now, for THE ultimate hotel review question . . . when (not if) I return to Dusseldorf will I stay here again? While I like to try a different area as a base every time . . . yes, I just might make the Carathotel Dusseldorf my first multiple-time hotel stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ShoelessJeff
Padova
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Very nice hotel, excellently located. I stayed twice in room 103, on the first floor and looking over the market, so I had to keep the window closed and use the AC. A small room with a single bed, but quite confortable and well equipped. Breakfast with a good choice of cereals, yogurt, different types of cheese and spreads. A bit limited, for the hotel rating, the choice of juices and drinks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Port Ewen, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights before heading to other places in Germany. Arrived into Dusseldorf about 6 AM and grabbed a cab to the hotel. It's nicely situated right near old town, so didn't need to rent a car. Upon arrival there was no room available, which we expected. They gladly took our luggage until the room was ready and invited us to have breakfast. Breakfast was the typical European assortment of breads, eggs, meats, fruit, etc. Very filling, there seemed to be something for everyone. We didn't leave hungry.

The front desk spoke very good English and told us about the area and what to see. Then they gave us a bottle of water each and off we went sight seeing.

Upon arriving back later in the day, room was ready and we got our luggage and checked in. WiFi in room worked well and room was comfortable. They also had candy and coffee to go in the lobby for those who didn't want to stay for a full breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank donutking1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Very good location for Dusseldorf old town. 15mins away from airport. Reception staff speak good English. Free WIFI. Room is OK, has AC, TV, mini bar, ok shower. Hotel feels a little dated, nothing special but fine for a business stop over at a reasonable price.
I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2013