“perfect place for Düsseldorf”

Hotel Villa Achenbach
Ranked #1 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed June 24, 2013

very nice Hotel with perfect Ambiente - internal decoration very stylish - extra parking places in front of neighbour house available - breakfirst Extended Version of Food supply - easy Access to Düsseldorf downtown by tram

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carsten L
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Achenbach

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel is OK in many ways but interestingly I would not stay there again and neither would my colleague for his own reasons. The problem is, it’s all about what they expect of you, with little understanding of hosting skills.

For example, I walked into a very hot room that would have benefited from prior ventilation. I started the fan that short circuited the fuse board. The fan was replaced swiftly and fuses reset which was appreciated. But and here is where the issue is, somehow I was made to feel by the Manager/Owner that it was an inconvenience for him or even my fault.

I did open the door and window to get some fresh cool air in but neither had any way of being secured in the open position. I placed carefully the net curtain to hold back the window and a chair to hold the door open.

The same Manager/Owner told me off as if I was a child for holding the window open in this manner. He further pointed out that this is what other customers do and it damages the net curtain. I did point out that if I was responsible for any such damage that I would be more than happy to cover the cost.

Simply I feel the customer is not trusted here and needs directing to understand the hotel ethos.

All a bit of a shame as this place could be excellent if they are prepared to take on board some of their customers concerns.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dusan B
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I thought I had reviewed this hotel but I don't find mine. In many respects it is just fine and I understand that others rate it highly. The street is quiet and even pretty. My room was fine if a bit small. My complaint is that the staff was very rigid. My client - a major German company - booked the hotel and came for an hour's meeting. The staff just couldn't deal with that. First, they barked about parking a car, even though we made it clear we would move it. Then sitting in the empty breakfast area was call for many warnings about leaving it neat. When I checked out the next day I was asked how I enjoyed my stay. I said fine except for the difficulty the day before. Given the chance to repair the damage, the manager launched into criticism of me and the Germans who (had booked me in and) dared to come meet for an hour. So the hotel is fine, but watch out! I stsyed st another hotel the next time I was in Dusseldorf. Less Sturm und Drang!

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank RobLaw47
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It was very nice and beautiful hotel with own warm atmosphere!
Quite small hotel, but with big rooms situated on the quiet green street. It is not in the city center, but not far from it. We took a car (it is convenient to use a car or tram as city is quite big), so it was not a problem for us.

We were impressed by the well thought interior: all elements are in line with each other,
In a one style. I would name it artistic classic. Clean rooms with quality furniture made from natural materials. No cheap plastic etc. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We met the owner of the hotel who told us about the city and gave a couple valuable tips). So I would recommend it if you stay in Dusseldorf.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anselm83
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I found this hotel online based on its proximity to the airport, the downtown area & its price. It is truly a winner. It is in an old residence that has been restored to perfection, with fine tapestries & wood accents, large bed, desk, etc. with a very modern bathroom. Johanna, at the desk was incredibly gracious & helpful. Center of the city is a short tram ride or 20 minute walk away from this hotel. The airport is 20 minutes by taxi. This was a great experience.

Room Tip: I believe any room in this hotel would be great
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Randolph F
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I were in Düsseldorf for a business trip in early March 2013. My wife had spotted this hotel in Tripadvisor and had decided to book a room there. She made an excellent choice, and I can only confirm the other positive reviews from travellers. Besides the amusing slightly kitsch interior decoration that makes you feel like the special guest of some bygone German dignitary, the abundant rooms, the flawless bathroom etc., I would like to make mention of the extraordinary quality of the bed. Beds are usually the weakest point of many hotels, yet are the essential ingredient of a quiet night, but the Villa Achenbach has the most comfortable bed ever. Firm, not soft, straight but not rigid, we slept a perfect night away and felt refreshed the following morning.
Yes, parking seems a bit improvised, but in European city centres this is to be expected. My wife had informed the hotel we were coming by car and expected to park it safely - which was the case for us. For the price we paid I don't see how other hotels could out-compete Villa Aschenbach if you want quality with atmosphere and Zeitgeist.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Spikoss
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Business trips usually mean you end up in some hideous box in beige with beige food and by the end of the week youve forgotten the hotel name and deservedly so.

This one is different and well worth trying if your fed up with the usual.

Give it a go, well worth a try and I reckon youll be very pleased with the experience

Room Tip: get a room at the front
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business