“Quite ok, but a little rough on the edges”

Hotel Villa Achenbach
Ranked #1 of 240 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed in Achenbach for two nights. The rooms are very well appointed, as are the shower and toilet facilities: the building is rather old, but very well renovated. Its location is convenient as well: we both walked and took public transport to the city center and found both very doable.

A couple of things draw me away from giving top marks though.

1. On Saturday morning, there was carpentry going on within the building at 7:45 AM, which woke me up. This continued for several hours. Hotel staff were friendly and apologetic about it, and assured me that it was not happening within the hotel, but probably happening at one of the neightbours. The hotel itself only takes up half the building, which obviously limits the influence hotel staff have on what happens in the other half - not something they can really help, but still something I feel is worth mentioning.

2. Sound isolation between rooms wasn't all that brilliant. Probably due to the structure of the old building, the neighbours' ventilation system was quite audible, as well as them staying up rather late.

3. While quality the breakfast was quite good, I found it somewhat disappointing that, on the Sunday, the quantity of food left for lazy weekenders at 10AM was somewhat limited. I noticed other visitors complaining about the scrambled eggs running out. Staff reacted promptly, and a plate was (quickly!) delivered - without re-stocking the supply on the buffet though.

I found especially the third pattern symptomatic:the staff are absolutely very friendly and enthousiastic, but this doesn't really translate in a ripple-free experience for the customers. Things in a place like this should 'just' work well, without asking - if they manage to reach that level of professionality, Achenbach will be a proper gem.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dabutcha76
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Achenbach

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My mother and I enjoyed Villa Achenbach very much, because of the atmosphere: a small luxurious hotel in an old mansion in a quiet street (very close to three tramways going to the centre of Düsseldorf). Our room was beautiful and spacious and the bathroom luxurious. The breakfast is wonderful, again in a beautiful room. The service is excellent. It was like being on a visit in a private home where we had our own big room. A comfortable feeling. A place to come back to.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Karina E
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We enjoyed staying at this family hotel outside the centre. It's in a lovely tree lined street which is quiet and the trams in to the centre were a great part of our holiday! Breakfast is excellent, though I could have done without the faint burble of the television which was on the far wall, but I could turn my back on it. Not sure what purpose it serves.... The twin room was very clean and the bathroom was luxurious. Good value I think. The owner helpfully printed out our boarding cards for us. He doesn't speak English, but the young managers do.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cityjaneLondon
Reviewed October 23, 2012

On a side street but very close to the city center.

Housed in an old mansion, restored and designed with amazing attention to detail.

Very attentive, friendly staff.

Best value for money in Duesseldorf. Not only the hotel itself, but e.g. their breakfast is hands down one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had in years (seriously - even the way it is arranged is absolutely royal) and costs only five dollars.

Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GeorgC
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights and were glad we did. I asked the tourist board to recommend a hotel suitable for me and my sister and were disappointed to be offered two hotels in the busy Altstadt. After a little searching online we found the gem that is the Achenbach Villa. Not only did we find a wonderful clean hotel with friendly staff, we also paid about 200€ less than we would've staying at either hotel recommended by the tourist office. We had a slight hitch when we checked in as we'd got a double instead of the twin room I thought I'd booked, but it was fine. The included breakfast is plentiful and fresh with lots of choice, you won't go hungry. The hotel would appear to have a small bar in the lounge/library but we never found out how it worked, self service vs staff service. Great location, a 25 minute walk or 10 minute bus/tram ride to the old town, on a very punctual, regular public transport system. The hotel has been renovated to a high standard but doesn't have a lift, which I think actually adds to the charm. Well worth a visit and I would actively recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 4, 2012

For anyone as me travelling a lot for business and used to soulless business hotels, this beautiful hotel is really a refreshing experience. The location is beautiful, close to city center but in a quiet high end residential area, the hotel looks recently renovated and everything looks perfect, it is an old villa refurbished with great taste, the rooms are very large, bathroom and room decoration very elegant and comfortable, the room for breakfast and the adjacent reading room elegantly decorated with library are exquisite, breakfast food selection is good quality even if not a huge selection. Free wifi working well in the room, complimentary water. Personnel was very helpful (helped me finding a closeby place to eat and providing me with a power plug adapter).
Only con: I stayed at second floor and had a heavy suitcase, there is no elevator and I had no one to ask for help carrying it as personnel was only ladies as me.
Next time I have to travel to Dusseldorf I will surely come back.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so consider it in case you cannot make stairs or have lots of luggage.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2012

the hotel offers:
- free wifi (accessible from anywhere, not just lobby like some hotels)
- breakfast was included in price (very good selection of german breads, cold cuts, yummy fried eggs and boiled eggs (which are hidden in a warm pocket) plus fruit, yougurt, croissants etc. all you can drink coffee and tea, and also seems nespresso (but i didn't ask)
- free bottle of water on arrival
- helpful and friendly staff
- it was recently tastefully renovated in a traditional style
- free cable tv (with so many channels that there is no time to look through them)
- located on a nice quiet street not very far from gardens which also have Opera and Goethe museum

If you dont have much luggage it's an easy trip from the airport on S-Bahn and about 10 min walk from the train station Wehrhahn which is the last stop before Hauptbahnhoff. If you have luggage then probably the best option is to catch a taxi as the airport is not that far away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo