“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #52 of 237 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Bath, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I only ended up in this hotel as the normal corporate chains were booked up or charging exorbitant rates due to my stay overlapping with one of the business fairs.
It's actually a rather lovely hotel with a little bit more personality than I normally get to see. It's in town (a bit of a pain for me, but a benefit for most people not having to travel out the business parks to work).
I got a spotless and large room on the top floor with a balcony running down the edge of the roof. Friendly staff who were genuinely pleasant and helpful. Great breakfast thrown in. Free Wifi - no forms, no codes - it was just there.
Oh - and vending machine on each floor selling beer at a very reasonable €1.5 (if memory serves).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Andre_Vestert, Leiter Front Office at Novum Hotel Excelsior Duesseldorf, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Dear goldcd,

many thanks for the detailed and fantastic feedback.
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the time at Hotel Excelsior Düsseldorf.
We are looking forward to welcome you again very soon.

Sunny greetings from Düsseldorf,

Andre Vestert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We wanted a hotel within walking distance of the Christmas markets and the Excelsior was just that. We had problems with our flights on both the outbound and homewards journeys and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

We travelled with our two daughters so had a 2 room suite - it was typically European - comfortable but slightly stark on soft furnishings, however it was very quiet (we had a courtyard facing room) and we slept very well.

The restaurant was only open for breakfast which suited us as there were some good restaurants within a short walk. The selection at breakfast was excellent - both cold and hot. There was a hotel bar which again was very comfortable.

Would definately recommend.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear FlosFamily,

thank you for the positive feedback.
It was a pleasure to had you staying with us and we are looking forward to welcome you and your family again.

Sunny greetings from Düsseldorf

Great Wakering, Essex
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Our second stay at The Excelsior, Cannot fault anything about it, Special mention for excellent staff and great Breakfast.

Ideal for Museums, shopping and Altstadt.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

2 Thank petiteetoile47
Dear petiteetoile47,

thank you for the fantastic feedback.

We hope to see you back soon.

Kind regards

The Hotel Excelsior Team
Yarmouth, Maine
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My wife, daughter and I stayed for 4 nights last week and really enjoyed the hotel. As noted on other reviews, the staff is excellent. They provided many great recommendations and were very helpful with my flight check-in when there was a problem with the airline. Wireless LAN is now free and worked perfectly. We had a suite-style room with 4 beds (although we just reserved a triple). The room was spacious and viewed the courtyard behind the building, so it was quiet. The only noise occurred 3 out of the 4 mornings at about 8:30 - 9:00 in a room above us that was having construction done. We considered it our wake up call and figured it was time to get our jet-lagged a$$es out of bed. Location is good - just a 5-10 minute walk to the Aldstat. The Italian restaurant across the street was very good and there is a subway stop just 2 minutes away. The included breakfast was very good, if not excellent. scrambled eggs, a variety of bacon and sausage, as well as cold breads, cereals, cheeses, cold-cuts, coffee, tea and juice. There didn't seem to be that many guests staying there when we were there, so it was possibly misleadingly quiet, but we enjoyed it very much and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank VTXMatt22
Dear VTXMatt22,

thank you very much for your positive feedback.
It was great to had you staying with us at Hotel Excelsior Düsseldorf.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family again!

Best regards

Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We were in Dusseldorf for a wedding in August. The weather was very hot and the room did not have air conditioning but they did provide a fan. The room was comforable and clean. The breakfasts were included in the price of the room and had a lot of variety. There was cereal, meats, breads fruit and scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage. You can find anything you wanted. Of course there was coffee and tea. The receptionist/desk clerk was very helpful and friendly. There are a lot of stores and resturants within walking distance. There even an ATM.
Our flight out was very early and the staff provided us breakfast even though service for breakfast didn't start until 6am. We would definitely recommend this hotel because of the staff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Andre_Vestert, Leiter Front Office at Novum Hotel Excelsior Duesseldorf, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear nativcagal,

thank you for the fantastic feedback.

We hope to see you back soon.

Kind regards

Lexington, MA
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I had a four-night stay at the Excelsior while attending a conference in Dusseldorf and am happy to give it a good review. I arrived mid-morning after an overnight flight and my room wasn't ready yet, but the front desk clerk asked housekeeping to expedite its cleaning and then invited me to have breakfast while I waited. And in half an hour my room was ready! All of the hotel staff I interacted with during my stay were similarly friendly and professional.

My room was fine -- not plush and luxurious, but certainly very comfortable. High ceilings gave it a spacious feeling and there was also a desk and a large closet. The bathroom was good with plenty of flat surface space for my make-up and toiletries. There were plenty of cable channels on TV including a few English-language channels. The only thing the room didn't have that I really wanted was a full-length mirror.

The breakfast buffet was really nice and included in the room rate. Offerings included cereals, meats, cheeses, breads, fruits, scrambled eggs, and even crepes filled with cream cheese or apples. The servers were very efficient at providing coffee and keeping things restocked.

The location is on a busy street, but the windows are quite soundproof. Luckily the weather was not too warm so I was able to keep the windows closed and get a good night sleep. The underground is only a block away and the city center and main train station are only a couple of stops away. The hotel's immediate neighborhood does have several stores and restaurants within a few blocks as well.

I didn't have the problems with the WiFi that others have mentioned. I did notice that my laptop had a harder time acquiring the signal from the bed than from on the desk, but once it had acquired the signal, it worked from the bed as well.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Excelsior and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 31, 2009

This hotel was our last of our 15-day tour of Germany. The room we had slept 4 of us, with two separate rooms with two beds in each. This is a rarity in Europe. There was also a nice long hallway to the left of the door where we could store our luggage out of the way, which was very nice, and another hallway to the right going to the bathroom. The bathroom had a nice sized tub and shower, towel warmer and toiletry essentials.

There is internet for 4 euros for 24 hours, but it was spotty during our time there. I told this to the man at the front desk at checkout and he took it off our bill, which I appreciated.

The hotel is old and is showing signs of its age but it is very clean. There is no AC, which meant that we had to leave the windows open and it was noisy during the night, which kept my husband awake. The room did have a fan though, which helped.

The breakfast was okay, not the best nor the worst we had.

The ladies working the front desk when we checked in were extremely helpful, but the man working the overnight shift was less than friendly. I told the nice man who took over in the morning about him, and he told me that wasn't the first negative comment about that employee. I guess it's hard to get good help overnight.

In all, this was an okay establishment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family