“Good value”

Novum Hotel Excelsior Duesseldorf
Ranked #60 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The exterior of this hotel is not as glamorous as shown in the professional photo - in reality it is located on a busy street (Kaiser), surrounded by commercial buildings.

It is, however. well located once you get oriented. Hofgarten (an urban park) and the Melia Dusseldorf hotel are down the road on Kaiser Street, a short walk away. Altstadt ("Old Town") is also nearby if you go down Kaiser Street and then take the Maxmillan-Wayhee Allee, which turns into Ratinger Street once you are in old town, and the very popular "Im Füchschen restaurant is almost the first one that you will come upon on Ratinger. Ask for a street map and take more than one copy with you to check out the neighborhood.

Hofgarten is a lovely park in itself, with good walking paths. To reach Tonhalle, go down Kaiser then go around the Melia hotel on Inselstrasse, near the end of that "street" you will have Tonhalle to your left and the Museum Kunstpalast (well worth a visit) to your right, with the Rhine just ahead of you. You can walk along the Rhine on a paved path.

I arrived at the hotel before noon and was given a room before check-in time, for which I am grateful. I heeded others' suggestions (thanks!) and asked for a quiet room. But, not wanting to wait for one that overlooks the courtyard, I settled instead for one that had a roof top view and which I think faces the kitchen, judging from the cooking odor that wafts into the room in the morning. Even so, there were some tall trees that can be seen outside the window; it wasn't all bad, and the room was quiet. (I was only there for 2 nights in the middle of the week -- the noise level on a weekend may be completely different.)

Speaking of courtyard, the only one I saw is one that can been glimpsed through gauzy curtains in the breakfast room. It is tiny but charming. The breakfast is excellent. Unlike other places, there was some small variations in the side hot dishe served along with the ubiquitous scrambled eggs. On my first day there was even fresh orange juice (you squeeze it yourself using a machine) to be had. And as someone else mentioned: you can even have cakes if you so wish.

The internet connection is free and works well except that frequent log-on is necessary, which calls for the entering of your room number and last name each time.

The beds are comfortable enough. As someone else mentioned, the pillows are soft and odd-shaped - see photo.

The room that I had (336) was a "comfort single" and very roomy, and the bathroom seems to have been recently remodeled - see photo. It is luxurious and Euro-chic, complete with a built-in makeup mirror. The shower enclosure is huge and has glass French doors, and is probably meant to be state-of-the-art. However, it seems to me that there are some design issues. Perhaps it is the latest in German technology, but the single drain hole is on the back wall and it does not take away water fast enough, especially if the shower is on full blast. On my first night I was not aware of this and, because the door is not water tight and is level with the rest of the bathroom floor (with a slight incline towards the drain), water oozed out all the way and made a mess. Furthermore, the shower floor is covered with the same tiles as for the rest of the bathroom, with no etched-in grooves nor rubber mat to prevent slips. In the U.S., this set-up would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I find it a minus that there is no coffee shop immediately nearby, so that getting a cup of tea to bring to the room is almost impossible. I really wish European hotels would provide free tea and coffee a la American hotels.

Another minus that has been pointed out is the poor lighting beyond the bathroom - dim desk lights make it difficult to read anything that is not electronic. And there is no central light switch by the bedside.

The staff at the front desk were helpful to me, in spite of their no-nonsense demeanor.

The room has one window that can be narrowly opened at the top.

All in all, I think this is a good hotel and would consider staying in it again if I were to travel to Dusseldorf again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the kitchen vent.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The reception staff is terrible. The breafast staff more terrible. They dont laugh at all and talk to you with a nose-up ............. f b ,........ i have been visiting this hotel for business for several times and this year it was apeak. I will never come here again. I have a feeling that the staff is angry on the mstly international guests who come for husiness to Dusseldorf

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Georgie A
Marjorie M, Manager at Novum Hotel Excelsior Duesseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear georgiea5,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is a shame to hear that you left the hotel with such feelings. We are very disappointed to know that we did not meet your expectation regarding our services.

We put all our efforts in making each of our guests feel at home, so we are deeply sorry to learn that you did not feel totally the sense of hospitality that makes our reputation and for which most of our guests choose to return.

We bring to your attention that all our staff has many years of experience advising our international guests and we have never received a complaint like yours. Nevertheless, we present our apologies for the inconvenience.

We wish you all the best in your future travels.

Yours sincerely,

Marjorie Megyaszai

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were three friends staying here for two nights. Our room was reasonably spacious, service at the reception was very good. There is also a quiet and nice bar at the reception area. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the downtown area, and it is a similar distance to the Railway station. Wifi functioned well both in the lobby and at the rooms. Breakfast was good, but not impressive. Can definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This hotel is an excellent choice in Düsseldorf and here are the reasons why:

* Location - the hotel is about a ten minute walk (slow) to get to the River Rhine and then it is about another five - ten minute walk (again, slow) to get to the Old Town. The hotel is also about 30 seconds walk to the Nordstraße underground station, which connects you directly to Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof, where you can catch the S11 directly into the Airport Terminal. If you are not a walker (I walk absolutely everywhere, did not use public transport once while exploring the city) then the proximity to the underground is useful for getting around.

* Value - for such a well located hotel, and one so well presented, it is very good value. Breakfast is included in the room rate and there is more than enough of a selection (eggs, bacon, meatballs, cakes (for those who like sweets for breakfast) and pastries, cold meats and cheese, yoghurt, bread, cereals. Free WiFi is available throughout the hotel and works well. It is worth noting that you need to log in again after a certain amount of idle time, but it is a very good signal and for a free connection, no complaints from me.

* Service - the staff were always friendly and helpful, but there was a slight downside in that they weren't as knowledgeable as I would have expected. I asked one of the front desk staff if he could direct me to the "Cartwheeler Fountain" and after some initial confusion he told me that was just a symbol and there was no statue or fountain. In fact there is. It is well known and a popular meeting place for friends but I found it on my own so no harm done. One night, I asked for stamps and the front desk attendee told me they do not sell stamps and then could not direct me to where any were available. The next morning, another lady told me she only had stamps available at €0.45 more than normal international stamps and she could not tell me of anywhere that sold stamps on a Sunday. In fact, after purchasing the stamps and posting the cards, during my walk that day I discovered a postal stamp machine by a postbox not even 5 minutes walk away. It turns out there are a few machines around Düsseldorf with this function. Apart from these little hiccups, though, I found the front desk staff friendly and helpful indeed.

* Rooms - clean, comfortable and spacious enough for me. New bathroom with lovely big shower and a big bed (albeit two twins adjoined) that was comfortable. The pillows were a bit too soft but the comforters were lovely and the room had a comfortable temperature. I experienced no troubles sleeping at all as there was very little noise. There is an inroom safe but do note you need €1 coin to use it - something I have never encountered before so I was caught short when I did not have a coin on me. The next morning, I was able to swap some loose change for one but just do note that you need this. The keys to the safe and the room are bulky and the safe key is heavy. Please note these things for when you are out and about. Not a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination but things I like to know for myself when I am travelling.

All in all, this is a fine choice for a hotel when you are in Düsseldorf. I would have afforded it five stars had it not been for the three minor issues I pointed out but apart from that, I would most definitely stay here again if I were ever to return to Düsseldorf.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Krinkles28
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The Excelsior is an old fashioned German style hotel in a great location just 10 minutes walk from the Altstadt but with plenty of public transport options just outside. On-steet parking is also available around the hotel. Welcome at reception is rather... German ...but efficient. The rooms are large but with dated bathrooms. The hotel is very clean and well run with an excellent breakfast buffet. Overall a good 3.5 star independant hotel and highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent hotel good price and service clean and tidy with good breakfasts. Friendly service. hotel has a range of rooms including two apartments next door with three rooms. Although hotel was fully booked not at all noisy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Just returned from a three day stay while attending the boatshow Boot 2014. Overall excellent stay. Breakfast very good, location great (easy connection to light rail train and 15 min ride to Messe), 10 minute walk to Old town area, also some excellent close restaurants frequented by locals, staff very helpful, nice bar for nightcap, clean adequately sized rooms. All good.

I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business