“A bit aged...”

Ranked #33 of 236 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Zurich, Switzerland
“A bit aged...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have stayed here twice this year and it is OK if you are just wanting to sleep and not expecting anything exceptional.

The front desk staff in general is not very welcoming. Check-out seem to give you the feeling that they can't wait to get rid of you and don't even thank you for your stay.

The rooms are tiny and the TV is very small. Thankfully I was tired enough on both nights to not use it.
They did not refill the toiletries at all during the second day which was a joke because the shampoo and soap are about the size of a thumb.

The location is ideal as it is a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport and not too far from the train station.

Breakfast buffet is filling.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear l_lv_travelling,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you found the hotel's location ideal for your stay and the breakfast to be a great starter for the day. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Room: The room was thoroughly average hotel fare. I found the bed to be comfortable. The TV was small and outdated, though that did not bother me. The bathroom was spacious, but again fairly average otherwise. There appeared to be some mold on my sink drain. The included amenities were good, including a razor and body spray.

Location: For Düsseldorf, I found the location to be very good. The hotel is located a few minutes walk from the hauptbahnhof (main train station) making it very easy and quick to get around town. The airport is only 7 minutes from the main train station. The hotel is also a 15-20 minute walk from some of the more interesting places in town to shop, eat, and sightsee.

Service: I found the staff to be very friendly an helpful, though I did not interact with them much.

Overall, I was hoping for more, given the price. When in Düsseldorf again, I would look elsewhere, though I would not be upset to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear arkleseizure,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am pleased you liked our convenient hotel location as well as our friendly staff. I am deeply sorry you found the overall value of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Second night in Dusseldorf and second hotel...

The good:
- location near the train station (follow the Ibis sign)
- clean
- quiet (no noise from the train station)
- large room

Nothing exceptionnal, just a good hotel at a resonnable price

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hastings
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Close to station, car park underneath. Room were big and well presented but starting to show signs of age. From the general condition, I would say it will be up for a refurb in a couple of years to maintain its status. Outside of convention dates, you can get good rates and Dusseldorf is worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Southcoasters
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Hotel is located behind the main station. Waking distance to the city center is about 10-15 minutes. Staff at the reception were very helpful and polite. During my stay, there was quite a lot of people in hotel but everything ran smoothly. My Room was spacious, clean and quiet, there was no noise from train station. TV set in my room was a bit old and I have missed some TV programs. Breakfast offered a good choice of different food.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

The Holiday Inn Duesseldorf is located just behind the main station, directly opposite the Ibis. Having stayed in all IHG properties in Duesseldorf (the HI at Koenigsallee, the Interconti, the HI Express in Derendorf, plus the HIs in Neuss and Ratingen), I can categorically state that this one is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of value for money and service. Whilst it may not have the concierge boasted by the Intercontinental, the incredibly friendly front desk and bar staff make up for this and they have helped me out on many occasions with tips and suggestions.

The rooms (and bathrooms) are a little dated in places, as are the corridors, but everywhere is impeccably clean and well looked after.

Whilst not usually one for hotel breakfasts (I find them rarely worth the money AND, with Duesseldorf station on the doorstep with its myriad of eating options, there's no real need here), on the few occasions I've found a cheap inclusive rate, I've always enjoyed the breakfast. The bar area sits in the foyer (between the reception desk and the restaurant), yet still manages to be cosy and open plan at the same time. I've not eaten a meal in the restaurant itself, as I prefer the beerhalls of the Old City (and, in particular, Schumacher Stammhaus at Oststrasse, one stop on the U-Bahn or a 15 minute stroll from the hotel).

I have stayed at this hotel in excess of 20 times, and will carry on returning for many years to come.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel can be quieter, and a few have balconies overlooking the central cour...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Like seemingly many hotels this property is complacently relying on a steady stream of trade fair / convention traffic to pay inflated prices to stay at a chain property, it desperately needs a refresh of the rooms, with some decent flat screen TV's (and more channels). In other cities it would need this to stay competitive, but not so in Dusseldorf!
I was pleased to receive an upgrade on arrive (I am Platinum Elite), but really I still felt like the nightly rate was outrageous (it does seem to fluctuate a lot with demand).
The hotel is right next to the main station which has metro to the centre or you can walk easily. The traffic can be quite bad for getting out of the centre though.
I paid for the expensive Wifi (at least it is quite fast), but didn't pay the vast sum for breakfast. I could have claimed this as a work expense, but in my view €24 for breakfast is more than my company should pay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BritBronco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dusseldorf
NH Duesseldorf City
#27 of 236 in Dusseldorf
Savoy Hotel
#20 of 262 in Cologne
Altstadt-Süd
Mauritius Hotel & Therme
Mauritius Hotel & Therme
#126 of 262 in Cologne

Been to Leonardo Hotel Dusseldorf City Center? Share your experiences!