“Comfortable and good value”

Courtyard Duesseldorf Hafen
Ranked #49 of 237 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Switzerland
“Comfortable and good value”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I booked this because of a competitive weekend price that included breakfast and was very happy with my stay here. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the hotel offers a range of services useful for both business and personal travel.
My spacious king-bed room was on the 5th floor overlooking a courtyard (!), very quiet, in excellent condition and clean. There was plenty of room to spread out and a wide range of TV channels in English. One thing that could be improved was the mini-fridge in the room which was a bit mildewy and didn't keep things very cold.
Breakfast was a nice spread, with breads, meats, cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc plus a 'fresh-squeezed' orange juice machine. You can also order eggs/omelets/pancakes/sausages from the grill. All in all, there is something for everyone and I appreciated the service, as there was not really much else in the immediate neighborhood. There was also a decent bar in the hotel, although I didn't use it.
Location would be pretty much the only downside to the hotel. Although it is walking distance to the old town in nice weather, when raining there is not a very convenient way to get there by public transportation. In general, I was a bit disappointed with the Medienhafen area as it seemed pretty dead on the weekends. I was expecting a buzzing trendy neighborhood with cafes and restaurants but it was mostly hotels and offices, so felt a bit away from the action on a fall weekend. The architecture is interesting, and at least there was not a lot of street noise, but it's not 'in the middle of things.'
Then again, I had no problem with the hotel itself, and wouldn't hesitate to stay again if I was in Dusseldorf. Especially with included breakfast, it was a great deal.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Visited the city last year with some friends and had a great weekend, so decided to go back as a couple and have another look (travelled on bank holiday weekend August 2013). My wife and I will definitely visit again. The hotel Courtyard Marriott was excellent value for money. When we arrived at the hotel we were given a room with a harbour view but on the other side of the harbour without the city view as well. I asked the reception staff if it was possible to change the room to the other side of the hotel and they did it within seconds. The staff were very helpful and the hotel was spotless. We had a room on the 5th floor with a harbour/city view. It looked great at night when the place was all lit ip. My only moan would be that the bed was to small for 2 people. In the first room we were taken to the bed was at least a queen size. When we moved the bed was probably a little smaller than a double!! The view and the rest of the hotel made up for that though. Its in a great location and the Altstadt is a very nice 15 min walk along the lovely waterfront.
The Altstadt is great for cafe's, bars and restaurants and even shopping along the Konigsalee.
Try a river boat trip, we paid just 12 euro's each for an hour and a half's boat trip which included all drinks! brilliant.

Will definitely visit again and stay at the Marriott. Love the town and the atmosphere and the food (currywurst my fav) oh one more thing I forgot to mention the Weissbier !!! You have to have the Weissbier!!
To many wonderful bars, cafe's etc to pick a best from however, the river front bar/cafe does a fantastic currywurst pome frittes and a great weissbier.

If it helps the cost of our weekend was 240 euro's in total. We flew with Ryan (flights were 40 euros each return) air to Weiss airport then got the train from there to Dusseldorf (15 euros each) then walked into the Altstadt (5mins) Had some lunch then taxi to the hotel (took about 3 mins 8 euros)
Hope this was helpful

Room Tip: The rooms with city/harbour view have the best outlook, however make sure it has a proper double (or...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Colin F
Mountain View, California
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel is a typical Courtyard hotel, clean room, nice layout, in good location. I got a room on top floor facing harbor, with quite nice view, the gym is decent size and well equipped. The internet signup process was very disappointing to say the least: you would have to log in, select the plan, then call the front desk to activate internet access, then log back to browser, and hope it already worked. And then repeat this process for each individual device need internet access (phone, ipad, laptop etc), really bad process at minimum, and would also be a time drain for the front desk staffs. One other glitch is that the heater didnt seem to work initially, though fixed eventually.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor with Harbor view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Customer service is excellent. Breakfast buffet is plentiful and tasty. Location, although a bit remote in it's immediate position, works very well if you like to walk. I arrived at nearly any point within the old city boundaries within 20-25 minutes of leaving my room. I could reach any variety of restaurants and shopping easily by foot. Starbucks is within 5 minutes, if that means much. If you need direct access to the rail system or have problems walking, this is not the place for you.

If you want a very clean, very well maintained, simple, quiet room with some views of either the Rhine or old harbor (Hafen), you'lll like this place.

If you don't want to spend the really big bucks, need an "American" chain hotel AND fairly easy public transportation access, I'd suggest the Raddisson, Hilton or the Renaissance. I've stayed at all. All are within a couple blocks of the light rail, but none have as good a position to old town as the Courtyard.

Room Tip: The rooms looking North offer a better (farther) view than those facing the Hafen (harbor). Even tho...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Courtyard Marriott is a decent hotel with decent value for money. The rooms are standard like any other Courtyard so you know what you get. Breakfast is good, but note that you can save some money by not going for the cooked breakfast and ask for the "small breakfast". If you don't ask for it, they will charge you for the big version regardless if you eat your omelet or bacon and eggs, or not.
Plenty of parking readily is available cross the street in open air.
Surrounding is nice with several good restaurants in the neighborhood, so go out instead of suffering from the horrible hamburger they serve.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel a couple of days ago. We booked a special offer room rate for two nights which was to include parking and breakfast plus a free gift and welcome drink. When we arrived we asked about the parking and staff just said they were sorry but the garage was full. They made some excuse of that they tried to keep a space free for us all day... They did not come up with an alternative until I suggested that we were to be reimbursed for parking across the road (which was outside and not as secure as the hotel parking) after leaving us waiting to speak to a manager they agreed to this. We then checked into our room and got two single beds. Me and my husband asked if we could change into a different room but this was not possible as they were booked out. This was disappointing considering there is no way of selecting what kind of room you would like at time of booking. Finally settling in we could not sleep all night as the couple in the room next door clearly had a great night and there did not seem to be any sound insulation between the rooms. When we got up for breakfast on Sunday morning (which was supposed to be served from 7-11am) at 10:15 the waitress informed us that there were no seats and just looked at us as to say that we won't be getting breakfast. I was not happy with this and informed her that breakfast was included in our room rate. She then was clearly annoyed by this inconvenience but managed to find us a table. There was no introduction to where to find anything at breakfast which is something as basic that you even get it in a premier Inn. Before returning to the hotel that afternoon I checked my bank account and noticed that money had been removed. I remembered that at check in the receptionist had asked to see my credit card however as I don't have a credit card I made her aware of this and showed her my visa debit card. She did not make any indication that she would take a large security deposit of this account (nearly twice the price of our stay) we asked the receptionist about this as we returned and she then made us aware that she did take money off without informing me about this. She just said we always do this. Considering i have never stayed with them before and it did not mention this at time of booking there was no way I could have known about this. So overall I would not return. The decor in the lobby is nice and modern the rooms however look a bit tired and old fashioned. The only good thing I can think about was that the hotel was very clean and I did manage to get a glass of red wine instead of beer for my welcome drink. I won't be back and would not recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Dancingme
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by the warmth and hospitality of Marriott staff...

The room size are perfect with a lively setup. The breakfast spread is very good and the restaurant staff ensures you have a great time!

Overall a great property from Marriott.

• Stayed May 2013