All reviewsclose to the airportdowntown dusseldorflarge balconynice hotellight sleepertram stopshort staywalking distanceeurostaxitramlinebedconnection
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have regularly stayed here on business as it's close to the airport and to my employer's Dusseldorf offices. I have always found the welcome to be friendly, and I like the spacious rooms, with big beds, as well as the well equipped bathrooms. This is not a luxury hotel, nor does it make claims to be, but it is a good standard, clean, pleasant, well maintained. The bar is small and does not do food in the evenings unless you want a snack not a meal, but there is an Italian and a Chinese restaurant within 5 minutes on foot, or you can get a train to the airport and eat there (train cost is €2.40 or you can walk in around 15 minutes), or you can catch a tram to the city centre and seek out something to eat there.

Breakfasts have always been good when I have been there. Things do run out but they are topped up reasonably promptly (and if they aren't you can always ask), and there is a good choice of cold meats, cheese, fish including gravad lax, rolls, breads, cereals, yogurts, coffee, tea and eggs. Yes, it's not the cheapest breakfast around, but again, if you are on a tight budget there is a bakery a couple of minutes away on the high street where you can have a light breakfast without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: I would agree that if you are a light sleeper, you should ask for a room on the side of the hotel that faces the tram stop rather than the side that overlooks the tramway itself. That is the noisier side and also overlooks the street (though that it very quiet in the main).
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed here for one night just before our flight back to the states. I chose this place because it was relatively inexpensive compared to the other hotels near the airport. It was surprising that even though this place is five minutes from the airport they do not provide a shuttle service. This might be a common thing in Germany, I'm not sure though. We had to take a taxi which typically costs 9 euros (Our driver got lost and charged us 21 euros. Make sure your driver knows where this place is before he starts driving.)

The staff was relatively friendly and spoke acceptable English. We asked them for a restaurant recommendation and they sent us to El Gato Verde, just an 8 minute walk away, which had pretty good Italian food for about $12 euros a plate (not including wine).

We paid a base rate of $74, plus $43 extra guest fee (there were three of us) and $8 in taxes. The room was modern, spacious, and clean. At first sight it seemed quite nice. But I changed my mind after being there for a few minutes. First of all our room faced the tram rail line which was about 60 yards from our window. Every time the tram rode by you could hear a noticeable rumble. This definitely lessened the luxury feel of the room. Like most hotels I've stayed in you could also hear activities in adjacent rooms, including when toilets were being flushed upstairs. I will say however that it wasn't as loud as in other hotels I've stayed in Europe. The thing that bothered me most though is the bed they put in the room for the additional guest (Me). The room was large enough for a real bed with a normal mattress, but instead they gave me an air mattress. It was a nice one with a built-in electric inflation system. However, throughout the night the mattress lost about 20% of the air in it. Needless to say my back wasn't very happy in the morning.

The next morning we got our wake up call about 8 minutes late and when we got up we skipped the 16 euro breakfast that seemed expensive to us. I didn't see what they served so I can't comment on the quality of the food.

If it hadn't been for the tram and mattress I would have rated this hotel a 4. Maybe you'll be lucky and get a room on the other side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side opposite of the tram.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stayed here on business in Feb and found it very comfortable. About a 5 minute taxi journey from the airport and the nearby train station also offers a direct service to the airport.

Receptionist was very friendly and I was checked in easily. I was also given a wi-fi code - free wi-fi is great and the connection was fine throughout my stay.

The room was large, very clean and comfortable with a huge bed. A desk-space/working area and also comfortable chairs and a small coffee table. There was also a balcony which was nice to get some 'fresh air' though being early Feb it was rather a bit too fresh. Bathroom was on the small side but it didn't really bother me as a single traveller. There was no bath but the shower was of a good pressure and always hot.

There is no restaurant at the hotel which I was unaware of when I arrived, they do serve a kind of savoury tart in the bar but it didn't look particularly appertising from the pictures. However, the hotel are more than happy to recommend a nearby restaurant or for you to order a take-away to your room and they provide menus from the local take-aways in your room. These menus (as you would expect) are all in German and as I'm a little ropey on the language found some difficult to translate. One of the Italian restaurants has an online order service and my order was with me in approx 15mins which was great.

The hotel is in a quiet area but there is a tramline that runs alongside it. The noise from this wasn't very loud but you could still hear it at times. If you are a very light sleeper I would request a room on the other side of the hotel.

The bar area in the hotel is nice with plenty of choice drinks-wise and at reasonable prices.

Breakfast is plentiful with all the usual continental bits on offer as well as an option of eggs cooked to your liking.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Hotel is a little bit expensive for its provided value. The room is absolutely standard and they claiming that tricky chair in it is worth of calling it "design" hotel. However room was very comfortable and clean. I had just a problem with number of flies behind bed which I had to kill before sleep. Its not located very close to airport so you have to take a taxi (its not expensive even for German standards). I had to wake up early morning so I didnt had a breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I'll start by saying that there isn't too much wrong with this place as a bed for the night. It's very clean and the staff are friendly. The lift to the floors is very small however - one person plus suitcase in my opinion. There is a bar - though I can't comment as I didn't use it.

I stayed in October, a last minute decision to visit an exhibition. The hotel is convenient for the airport (though I was charged 12 euros for the trip from airport to hotel and 7 euros for the return trip 2 days later. Likewise my trip to the exhibition centre was 17 euros to Messe from the hotel (with the most unfriendly taxi driver I've ever come across - I may not speak German, but I know what "that" word means) and 8 euros return that evening. Again, the hotel is convenient for the exhibition centre.

The biggest problem is the price and that's why I can only give it 3 stars. I had a nice room (with some whacky furniture) and the bed was comfortable. But at over £250 a night (breakfast was extra!!!) it's a lot to pay for a bed.

Another reviewer has said that the breakfast room ran out of things when they went for breakfast at 10.15. I stayed two nights and breakfasted at 7.15 and 8.15 (approx). There was the same problem at that time with empty baskets of bread etc. The eggs were good though. Never did find any of these restaurants within easy reach as the weather was bad throughout my stay.

Overall, it's a room with a bed. And on that basis, very expensive. Sorry but I think I'd find somewhere a bit cheaper next time.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business