“A little bit overated” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 236 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Piastow, Poland
“A little bit overated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

Hotel is a little bit expensive for its provided value. The room is absolutely standard and they claiming that tricky chair in it is worth of calling it "design" hotel. However room was very comfortable and clean. I had just a problem with number of flies behind bed which I had to kill before sleep. Its not located very close to airport so you have to take a taxi (its not expensive even for German standards). I had to wake up early morning so I didnt had a breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Harrogate
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I'll start by saying that there isn't too much wrong with this place as a bed for the night. It's very clean and the staff are friendly. The lift to the floors is very small however - one person plus suitcase in my opinion. There is a bar - though I can't comment as I didn't use it.

I stayed in October, a last minute decision to visit an exhibition. The hotel is convenient for the airport (though I was charged 12 euros for the trip from airport to hotel and 7 euros for the return trip 2 days later. Likewise my trip to the exhibition centre was 17 euros to Messe from the hotel (with the most unfriendly taxi driver I've ever come across - I may not speak German, but I know what "that" word means) and 8 euros return that evening. Again, the hotel is convenient for the exhibition centre.

The biggest problem is the price and that's why I can only give it 3 stars. I had a nice room (with some whacky furniture) and the bed was comfortable. But at over £250 a night (breakfast was extra!!!) it's a lot to pay for a bed.

Another reviewer has said that the breakfast room ran out of things when they went for breakfast at 10.15. I stayed two nights and breakfasted at 7.15 and 8.15 (approx). There was the same problem at that time with empty baskets of bread etc. The eggs were good though. Never did find any of these restaurants within easy reach as the weather was bad throughout my stay.

Overall, it's a room with a bed. And on that basis, very expensive. Sorry but I think I'd find somewhere a bit cheaper next time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel (room 108) the 27th of August. Nice and clean room, nice people!
The only thing we didn't like was the breakfast. We went for our breakfast at 10:15 AM.
the buffet ran out of everything. Had to ask for scrambled eggs; buns; orangejuice, everything was gone. € 16 a person for this kind of breakfast wasn't what we had in mind in a four-star hotel.....
Small elevator!

Room Tip: Watch the U-bahn! Noisy when they come around the corner! In our room (108) we did hear it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

My 15 yr old grandson and I completed our ten day trip to Germany and France in this little gem. The room was the largest we had in our ten days, extraordinary clean and a bi-lingual staff.. O"ne caution, you need to turn the correct direction when you leave the train station. turn toward the little restaurant right by the train and walk 400 meters. look to the left. Great value

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank viajahn
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

small hotel, I wouldn't give it 4 star rating, but my stay was quite pleasant.

Super friendly and helpful girl at the front desk (I checked in on Apr 23)

I had a bit of a problem finding a food, the only thing available at the hotel was pizza, which had only one topping and was pretty expensive, but there is a little cafe right next to the hotel.

Didn't eat the breakfast, because I had to leave early in the morning

FREE WI-FI in rooms!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Carmel, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed here because of a morning flight back to the States. Location is great---5 minute walk from the S-bahn, 15 minutes from Duesseldorf main train station via S1 or S7 lines, 2 minutes from airport by S11. Taxi to airport was 5.90 Euros.

Hotel is modern and clean. Room was spacious. Price of room was good. We had a "Deluxe Superior Room", as I was travelling with my parents and we needed 3 beds. Unfortunately the 3rd bed was an AIR MATTRESS. Our room was located in the back of the hotel and the floor shook every time a train left the adjacent train station.

My biggest gripe was the service...when we arrived in the evening I spoke German to the clerk (I speak enough to get by) and the desk clerk switched to English. Great! She asked if we would like breakfast in the morning. I asked the cost and was told 6 Euros per person. My mother heard this as well, and when my dad walked up I asked him (in front of the clerk) if he wanted to pay 6 Euros for breakfast or get something at the airport. We decided it would be easier to buy the breakfast at the hotel. I know we talked about 6 Euros for breakfast several times in front of the desk clerk. Imagine our shock upon checking out (after breakfast) that the price was actually 16 Euros per person! 16 Euros for a roll, some cheese, a glass of juice and a piece of dried out bacon? What a rip-off! My mom and I told the morning clerk that the evening clerk told us it was 6 Euros each. She said she couldn't give it to us at 6 Euros each, but she did take off the price of one breakfast, bringing the cost for breakfast for 3 from 48 Euros to 32 Euros--still ridiculous, but I appreciated that morning clerk tried to help. Morning clerk said the evening clerk was new but she knew the price of the breakfast. The evening clerk may know the price of the breakfast but she doesn't know the difference between SIX and SIXTEEN in English! A desk clerk at a hotel near a major international airport needs to know her numbers in English. At the airport I found you could get a heck of a good breakfast for 16 Euros, which didn't help my mood any. Also we asked the evening clerk about places to eat dinner. She said everywhere was closed (Good Friday) but there were several places we could order from that would deliver, or we could eat at their bar. We just took the S11 to the airport and ate there but we noticed that the only restaurant we passed on the way to the train station was open.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front of the hotel. No breakfast
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Kinston, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Take the S11 train one stop from Terminal 3 and you are a short walk away. Or, if you drive it is easy to find and there is plenty of parking. The two hotels attached to Duesseldorf airport are expensive. Stay here one time, and you will want to come back again and again. This is a small hotel, around 15 years old already, but it never shows its age. It is well-managed and well-maintained. Because it is small it fills up very quickly whenever there is a trade show going on. Book in advance.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank KorbinDallas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dusseldorf
Lindner Hotel Airport
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,182 reviews
Hotel Destination 21
Hotel Destination 21
#68 of 236 in Dusseldorf

Been to Avidon Art & Design Hotel? Share your experiences!