“Wouldn't stay again”

Novum Hotel Madison Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #163 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a pretty basic hotel that's a very short walk from the main train station in Dusseldorf. My first impression is that it reminded me of hotels I have stayed at in Asia, where I paid about half the price as here for a similar scene - lobby full of shiny surfaces, then small but fine rooms upstairs with dated red carpeting and a gloomy elevator. I'll just break it down into pros and cons for my stay in room 519, which faces the street:

PROS
bathroom was very clean and room generally so, too
free WIFI that works well
decent breakfast buffet
friendly desk staff

CONS
loud street noises such as sirens, trams and nonstop traffic
no air conditioning to allow you to shut windows at night to reduce said noise pollution
construction work in a nearby room with hammering at 8AM
no hot water in the shower one evening
phone in room didn't work so i couldn't call down to complain
one morning had water that alternated between scalding and just right (not good)

The location is good and hotel average. But I would not stay here again. From walking around town today, I am convinced there must be better places to stay in a similar price range.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to road noise, ask for the least noisy room. No clue if such a room exists b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Terry W

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I booked this hotel for a group of 5 people staying for 2 night. At the lat minute one of the party couldn't make the first night but would be arriving the following day.

When I checked in I advised the hotel that one guest would be arriving and checking in the following day. Upon his arrival he was advised that his room had been given away and would have to stay at another hotel. He was offered no assistance to travel to the other hotel or reason for his room been given away. As the rest of the part had left earlier to watch a football match by the time he had found the new hotel, checked in, and travelled to the football match he miss most of the first half.

I have since been offered a refund of just £20 and not the cost of the night resold to another guest I have requested. They have offered my an upgrade the next time i stay however given the experience this will never happen.

Take my advise, stay at another hotel and enjoy Dusseldorf

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wildthing180
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was always taught that if you can't say something nice say nothing - in the case of the Madison I am breaking my own rule. I travelled with two friends who had booked a twin room, when we arrived they were told there was only one double room available "because they were last to check in", I have heard of check in restrictions before a certain time but checking after 5 which means they give your room away is new to me. What the girl on reception actually said "what do you expect me to do" I always assumed that the managing of the hotel was the responsibility of the staff. Truthful they could not have been more unhelpful. When I got to my room it was quite large, and it seemed even bigger because it had the least possible furniture, one bed, one straight back chair, one wardrobe and one small desk. Dont waste your time looking for a kettle or a fridge there not there, 4 star - I think not ! The breakfast was what could only described as Spartan, the only warm food was some boiled eggs, the rest consisted of some really cheap ham and cheese. Honestly you will be better of if you splash out and spend 3 or 4 euros on a superior breakfast. All together those points I think would have been enough to knock two stars off the Madison's rate but the thing that did it to me was when I asked for an iron and an ironing board to be sent to my room. Normally I would expect them to already be in my room in a 4 star hotel - but of course sometimes not, so I asked from reception and I was told they would not send the iron or the ironing board to my room but if I want something pressed I needed to do it in the luggage room beside the reception. I am sure you can appreciate that was somewhat of a surprise especially as the luggage room was full of - case what ? - luggage. The actually iron was so cheap I thought it was a toy. Again the staff really did not care, the usual take it or leave attitude, very, very disappointing. All together a very bad experience, Dusseldorf is a really nice town please don't spoil your visit by staying in the Madison hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are slight quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Frank O
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel is not on a road just on a tram track so hard to find. There are no facilities to give it 4star status. I am writing this at 2 0'clock in the morning unable to sleep AGAIN noisy, stuffy and basic .

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Irene G
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Hotel is literally a 5 minute walk from station. Room albeit not very big, was very clean with fresh towels daily. TV had 14 different stations with only 1 (CNN) english speaking. In line with the below reviews, the room is very warm at night with no air con which is a drawback. The pillows are very thin which doesnt help to sleep either.

Breakfast is grand, all types of cereals, breads, crossaints, eggs, meats etc and is served from 6.30-10.30am.

Outside is the tram stop which is very handy, tram 704 or 709 takes you to Konigsallee Street which is main shopping district for the rich!! The hotel is a 10 minute walk from this street or 15 minutes from Alstadt which is old town where there are 250 bars and restuarants to choose from.

Located within 1 minute walk of hotel are Pizzaria, few shops, sex shops and small Bar called Balla Balla which is grand for a few drinks.

All in all this hotel exceeded our expectations, it was nowhere near as bad as others make out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Staff very helpful. Location is great if you seek a hotel which is close to the train station. Rooms are big and clean and the bed is comfortable. Breakfast more than sufficient. The only dowsides were the street noise and the outdated public areas. Overall exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Location ok. Hotel at avarage. rooms are clean and functional. no air condition. each time the closing of a door of my neighbors was loud. breakfast functional and sufficient. overall hotel ok. service ok.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com