“Should have been Hotel Beyer”

Novum Hotel Maxim Dusseldorf City
Ranked #86 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
“Should have been Hotel Beyer”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I feel I am writing a review on the wrong hotel. I had booked a night for myself and two boys in the Hotel Beyer through Booking.com but when we arrived there was a sign on the door saying the hotel was closed and to ring a number. There was NO notice from the Hotel Beyer and in fact I had emailed the previous day to book a car park space and there was NO mention of the change from them. Think it would have been polite so that we could have made other arrangements if we didn't want to stay at the Fuerstenhof.

Care when booking a car parking space. It costs €10 per night. We weren't told when we booked.

The hotel itself was ok. Cost £80 for a night for a twin and a single room which is good value. Location is central and breakfast was satisfactory. Overall ok place but just cross because of the change and no one told us. Have a suspicion that they are both owned or connected in some way.

Would I stay again. Yes but just bear in mind that it is BASIC and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ChrisWiggins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I transferred to this hotel from another , the hotel far from every thing but OK due to kind of that Greek lady at reception WiFi only in reception , Good breakfast , big room , kind staff - acceptable stay at Dusseldorf

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NC USA
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Someone wrote that it took 15 minutes to walk to the HauptBahnhof. I'm a slow walker and it never took me more than 10 minutes. I stayed 4 nights at the hotel and was pleased with the friendly staff, and cleanliness of the room. The breakfast was really very good, too. The downside was the terrible Wi-Fi connection. You had to be in the lobby to receive it, but even then it only worked half the time. This has been an on-going issue for the hotel, and the staff told me there were no plans to change the system. You absolutely cannot count on using the Wi-Fi at this hotel, and this made it very hard for me to stay in touch with business associates and family. The location of the hotel is safe, even when walking late at night. The rooms are smallish, but for the price it was very reasonable. The heat in my room was excellent, and quite controllable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Florence, Italy
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was there for the annual wine fair. Hoping it was close to the station and to the center as pubblicized on the site. It is not. It took me a good 15 minute walk (i walk fast) to get to the station and 20 min to the center. The room size was ok, but the bathroom was small, and after having mentioned that the light bulb was burned I remained in the dark for the remaining two nights I was there.
The blinds do not block the light completely so I suggest you bring a sleeping mask.
The breakfast was scarse. Not much of a selection and the 2 ladies working the floor were not extremely corteous, (I was taught that if you work with the public, the least you should do is smile!). If you arder an espresso coffee, be preparaed to be charged extra.
The website mentioned free wi fi en suite.
This is not true. The wi fi did not work at all, and I was invited to work in their conference rooom which is on ground floor near the entrance. The problem is that I could not concentrate, because peoplle kept enterening and exiting the hotel making it difficult to carry oon a confference call via skype or concentrate on writing and repllying to e-mails.
I was told that thy would call the technician, but they never did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Dusseldorf hotels

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here overnight for as I work in Dusseldorf and live quite far away.
Excellent Value, rooms are clean and warm, shower works well.

Reception staff was friendly and spoke English.

Would stay here again.

Hotel is well located close to the 707 and 708 stops so easy access to the Media hafen and close to the Train Station.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel recently.. It has funny shaped rooms full of dust.. When you go up the stairs you see linnens and dirty towels all over the floor in front of the stairs you have ti jump over them.. At check in we specifically asked for the wifi code as we needed Internet for business.. We were put in a room on the 2nd floor where we couldn't pick up any wifi signal, receptionist then told us the connection on the second floor is not very good... When we wanted to change the room to a room on the 1st floor, receptionist was very rude and started pulling faces as we used the bed in our room.. No apology or assistance offered for the room move and yet we were called liars as the receptionist thought the previous room was clean otherwise we wouldn't have got a new room!!! (Even though we only used the bad and told him that at the time) even if what he claimed was true customers should never be treated this way.. For the hotel management I didn't catch the name but this receptionist was on duty in the afternoon of 28th! He definitely needs to go on a customer service course.. This is from somebody who has been in the hotel industry for over 10 years...

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Emily0808
Sydney
Reviewed January 10, 2013

From the moment we arrived until our reluctant departure 4 days later, we were treated like family guests. All the staff from front desk, the bar, the restaurant and housekeeping were impeccable with their service and welcome. A beautiful and stylishly old hotel with old world values. Rare these days. Our room was spacious and very clean. Both the food and drinks were exceptional. It was a quiet time of year but none of the staff appeared bored. Well done on magnificent management! We will certainly recommend this hotel in Australia.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family