“Ticks the boxes but questionable value”
Review of Hilton Duesseldorf

Hilton Duesseldorf
Ranked #26 of 241 Hotels in Dusseldorf
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed here twice in December, and it's difficult to fault the hotel in terms of services provided as a business hotel.
The rooms are comfortable, clean and have a modern fresh look to them. They have nice flat screen TV's with a decent choice of English channels, comfy beds and desk chairs, and fast internet.
Location is a good compromise, the old town can be reached by metro or by a 3 km walk, but it also offers easy road access to the airport and major roads. The hotel provides a shuttle to the fair when it is in operation.
This property does come into question over value though. On my first stay I had a deluxe room including breakfast for €190. In my view this was poor value, especially considering the additional money spent in the expensive bar and restaurant.
The second time I stayed I took advantage of the December sale and managed to book an executive room at €140. The room didn't really offer anything of value over the deluxe room, however it did provide access to the executive lounge which provides excellent value. They provide snacks in the evening, which if you have a small appetite are sufficient for dinner, and they have a good breakfast in the morning, saving the cost of breakfast in the restaurant.
The parking is also expensive, but there is free on-street parking nearby (near the Radisson).
So there are two sides to value at this hotel, at normal prices it is in my view poor value, however if you hold status with Hilton properties which gives lounge access and can get a better rate, then it can be justified staying here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
HiltonDUS, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Hilton Duesseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on your stay at Hilton Duesseldorf. We are glad you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms while staying with us in December, especially that you mentioned our Executive Rooms with access to our Lounge as good value for money. Our valued HHonors Gold and Diamond guests receive complimentary upgrades to these rooms and of course access to the Executive Lounge so it is definitely worth enrolling to our HHonors loyalty program. Please contact us if we can be of assistance.

We are looking forward to your next visit to Duesseldorf and remain

Torsten Weller
Director of Operations

Reviewed December 17, 2011

The location is very convenient to the airport, but it does require a taxi because the hotel does not provide a shuttle service. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. I am Hilton Diamond, but did not get upgraded to the executive level the first night of my stay. The staff in the Executive Lounge was very nice and moved my luggage to an Executive level room the second night of my stay. The hotel was very clean and the room was fully equipped / functional. A little on the small side when compared to many of the other Hilton's that I have experienced. The wireless worked well and was complimentary for Hilton Gold and Diamond members. The only food that I tried was in the Executive Lounge and it was exceptionally good. The best part of the stay was the exceptional service from the staff in the Executive Lounge.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
HiltonDUS, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Hilton Duesseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at the Hilton Duesseldorf via Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were especially satisfied with the service provided by our Execuitve Lounge staff. We are looking forward to another opportunity to welcoming you in the future. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

Kind regards

Your Hilton Duesseldorf Team

Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel is conveniently located with good service and a friendly staff. The check in was quick and the food at the hotel was quite pleasant too. As a non German speaker, i did not have any problems interacting with the staff. The only little complaint would be somewhat exorbitant charges for wifi internet access. For a business traveller such as myself it mattered, but it may not to those who do not need it. overall, a good stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on your recent stayat the Hilton Dusseldorf. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. In regards to you comment on the internet charges we are glad to inform you that we will provide free internet access in public areas of the hotel starting January 2012.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Kind regards

Reviewed December 8, 2011

The most important thing to me about any hotel is the service. Yes, the quality of the rooms, the location, and the price are important factors too, but service is what keeps me coming back to a hotel.

In this case, the extraordinary service actually began long before I arrived!

I post quite a bit on a bulletin board for frequent travelers and I mentioned on that board that I was going to be staying at the Hilton Dusseldorf. As it turned out, Jil, the assistant to the hotel manager, also posts there and she offered me any assistance that I might need.

I took her up on that offer. Hiltons, throughout the world, charge quite a bit for laundry. In fact, I have found that for small items (socks, t-shirts, etc) it is cheaper to buy new ones than to have them cleaned at a Hilton. I asked Jil if there was a same day laundry in the area and she called around and found one for me.

In later correspondence I told her that I will be driving from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt and have rented a car from Sixt for one day. I said that I would have rented it for my entire 4 day stay but the 22 Euro per day parking charge made it a bit too expensive.

What did Jil do? She went to the Sixt office in the Hilton and arranged for me to get free parking from Sixt if I take the four day rental! That, truly, is going above and beyond the call of duty,

When I arrived at the hotel, I found that I had been given a room on the Executive Lounge floor with free access to the lounge. I am a Gold HHonors member, and Lounge access is not guaranteed to us (as it is to Diamonds).

In my room I found a bottle of wine and some chocolates waiting for me, along with a very nice personal note from Jil.

Jil, however, is not the only one at the hotel who emphasizes friendly and helpful service. The people in the lounge are fantastic. When I checked in, the young woman at the reception desk saw that I had a lot of luggage and insisted on helping me take it to my room.

The service, apparently, even extends to non-Hilton employees who work in the hotel. The car that I got at the Sixt office in the airport did not have enough room in the trunk for all my luggage. I had to put one suitcase in the back seat. This did not bother me when I drove, but I was a bit concerned about having my luggage visible when I was going to park the car for some hours on my way to Frankfurt.

I went to the Sixt office in the hotel and asked if I could switch to a car with a larger trunk and, if so, how much more it would cost. I was not only given a larger car (one that usually costs $125 per day more than I am paying) at no extra charge, but it also has a GPS and winter tires thrown in.

Then, to top it off, the Sixt representative looked at my reservation, saw that I was getting Delta SkyMiles for the rental, and told me that I can get both the SkyMiles and HHonors points -- all I had to do was tell him my Hilton account number!

In summary, I am getting a room on the Executive Lounge Floor, entry to the lounge (which means free breakfasts, free light meals in the evenings, free drinks from 7 am to 11 pm), free internet access, free parking, and a car which is far superior to the one I paid for.

My room is, admittedly, a bit small but it is beautifully decorated and, as I am staying by myself, the size is not a problem.

Of course, I hear you saying, this is a Hilton so all of this is costing me a fortune, right?

Wrong. It is not costing me anything (except for the car rental). It is an award stay, paid for by points from my HHonors account.

You can't beat that!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay at the Hilton Dusseldorf on tripadvisor.com. It is our pleasure to read that you were absolutely satisfied with your stay and the service we provided. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dusseldorf! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

Overnight stay in Düsseldorf. This hotel was very easy to get to from the airport and convenient for my meetings the next day. If you are a Hliton Honors Gold card member you get an upgrade to the Executive Level (11 / 12) and you have complimentary access to the Executive Lounge (free drinks, food and breakfast). Gold card holders get free Wi-Fi too.

Very comfortable beds. Modern and very clean rooms.

Fantastic welcome form Julia on the front desk - the most enthusiastic check-in I've experienced and a big smile to go with it.

Will definitely use this hotel again if I have to visit Düsseldorf however not too sure how good it would from a location point of view be if you are here to visit the city on a leisure trip.

2  Thank textlad
HiltonDUS, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Hilton Duesseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay at the Hilton Dusseldorf via tripadvisor. It is our pleasure to read that you were absolutely satisfied with your room and that you enjoyed the service provided by Julia at the front desk.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dusseldorf!

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Just came back from 3 weeks in Europe. I travel regularly and try to stay in Hiltons, but this hotel was exceptional. Rooms, service, location, but above all I have to comment on the staff. Always smiling, helpful and in a seemingly genuine way. Been traveling on business for almost 20 years and the staff here wins hands down. breakfast buffet is unbelievable too.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
HiltonDUS, Personal Assistant to Gerneral Manager at Hilton Duesseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments on your recent stay at the Hilton Dusseldorf. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much appreciate your kind comments on our staff.

We are looking forward to another opportunity to welcoming you in the future and until then remain

with kind regards

Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed for 5 days in Hilton Düsseldorf. The staff is really nice and helpful. The bed is big and comfortable. Everything is very clean, esp. the bathroom. Prices in the MAX Restaurant are pretty high (30€ for a Schnitzel?!). The U-Bahn lines 78 and 79 are really near to the city and main station. There were tea, cups, coffee and water heater in my room. The doors are thick enough, you don´t here people walking on the floor.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
HiltonDUS, Personal Assistant to General Manager at Hilton Duesseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on your recent stay at the Hilton Duesseldorf. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments on our staff. Regarding our prices in the restaurant and bar we conduct regular surveys on our local market and I would like to assure you we find ourselves to be competitive here.

We look forward to hopefully having another opportunity to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dusseldorf.

Yours Sincerely,