“Friendly and Modern hotel”

Hotel Nikko Dusseldorf
Ranked #51 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We recently stayed for a long weekend travelling as a family visiting the Christmas markets. After a rather long and delayed journey due to heavy snow, we were delighted to be upgraded to an executive room when checking in. The Receptionist was very friendly and gave us free wi-fi for the duration.

Our room had plenty of space for us all especially with 2no excited under 5's. The decor was very modern and looked like it had recently been refurbed. We had a king size bed with a sofa bed for the kids. Lovely big windows so it was very bright and airy. The only downside was that we didn't have a bath. We didn't use any of the hotels other facilities in our stay as we used it as a base really but if the pool had been free use, we may have taken the children.

The hotel is based 5/10 mins walk from the train station and weeze airport coach drop off. Just one tip regarding the airport - if you fly into weeze airport, it is an hour away from the hotel which we didn't research too well. We flew cheap with Ryanair and didn't realise there is an airport closer to the centre. We were quoted 120 euros for a taxi transfer but instead caught the nice airport coach for 14 euros per adult.

We enjoyed our stay at Nikko and would recommend it.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)

Reviewed December 12, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Only had one night here and found it to be comfortable, efficient and generally good value for money. Unfortunately, I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers - charging 15 Euro for access to the Spa/Gym is fine if you're intending to spend half a day in it - we only wanted a half hour swim and we therefore were not prepared to pay a total of 30 Euros! We also wanted to use the business/internet lounge to print off our board cards - another 2 Euro for 15 minutes access - wasn't prepared to pay that either!
In all fairness, they did provide a token for two hours free WiFi in the bedroom which is presumbaly in response to issues raised by other customers.
The bedroom itself was fine - a little dated but comfortable; except if you wanted to watch the TV which was situated in a large cabinet with wide doors. Open the doors and you can't see the TV unless you sit on the bed. Not much point in having two armchairs. This could easily be rectified if they mount the TV on the wall or just stand it on top of the cabinet.
Apart from the above points, I quite liked this hotel.
Food in the Bistro area was good value, interesting and provided me with my first taste of Wagyu beef. OK, it cost a bit more but I enjoyed it. Basic house white wine (a Rheingau Riesling) was up to scratch and reasonably priced at about 6 Euros a glass.
Easy walk (less than 10 minutes) to the station makes this a very convenient hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
hotel_nikko_dus, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Nikko Dusseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear dmg31,
thanks for your overall nice review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. And I promise to check up on this TV issue you mentioned!
We hope to see you again some day.
With best regards,

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I am currently staying this hotel but sadly enough I cant change it as I am on a business trip. Let me start with the facilities of the room.

1. Pillows- they can hardly stand their own wait and will compress even before you put your head on them. So thin that you dont even feel that you are using them. I wake up 3 times every night and havent slept properly from the day I have reached here.

2. Iron - Its a business hotel and guess what there is no iron in the room. Upon requesting, i got to know that they are out of stock and i have to write my name in the waiting list. Its a business hotel and invariably you need to iron your shirts and trousers in the morning. After insisting a lot, I got to know that there is a common iron room where you can go and iron your clothes. Now every tiime I want to iron something in the morning, I have to go to 6th floor just to iron my shirt.

3. unresponsive - there is no toothpaste and shaving razor in the room. I requested for toothpaste one of the mornings and the phone kept ringing. Next day, I called them again in the morning and the person on the call acted as if have asked for something which I am not supposed to get and even though she said she is goingt to send it, I waited for 15 minutes and it did not come. I had to leave for office without brushing my teeth. I had to buy everything by myself from a local grocery shop the next day.

4. Wifi- Its a business hotel and generally wifi is part of the room and if not, there is a nominal charge. One day wifi charge is 24 euros!

5. And one time we wanted to drink the whiskey which one of my collegues got from his country, rather than sitting in the rooms, we deided to sit in the lobby and drink it and we were not allowed to do that which was quite surprising to me!

All in all, not recommended for business trips.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dasdasd d

Dear dasdas d,

I am honestly shocked to hear about the experiences you made at our hotel. Let me assure you that those incidents do not at all meet our high standards concerning guest relations. Things like those you mentioned must not happen ever. Thanks for your honest review which helps us to find (and eliminate) sudden weak points.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Nikko hotel for two nights and the overall impression was positive. The Japanese front desk staff were extremely helpful and friendly, it really felt like being in Japan where customer service and hospitality are second to none. We will be back. Hopefully next time there will be free WiFi and no fees charged for using the gym/spa.

• Stayed: December 2012
hotel_nikko_dus, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Nikko Dusseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear superstereo,
thanks for your kind words regarding our hotel and service. We greatly appreciate your feedback. And who knows? - Sometimes sudden upgrades do happen for apparently no reason...
Best regards from Düsseldorf - and see you soon!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stay regularly at the Nikko and mostly because of its very good breakfast, only point to criticize is the charge of 6,50€ for a fresh squeezed orange juice, and the beautiful pool on the top floor, see photos. I am happy they charge 15€ for the use of pool and sauna, so the pool is mostly quiet and you can relax :-)

Rooms are not very big, but beds are large and I cannot complain about the pillows. Many rooms have been remodeled, so everything is up to standards of a good business hotel. Staff is friendly and competent. Location is central, good connected to the underground.

I can fully recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
hotel_nikko_dus, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Nikko Dusseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear StephanBrux,
thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are very much pleased about your kind words on our accomodation facilites. We have recently finished a soft-renovation of all 301 Comfort Class rooms. Good to see that it's actually being recognized by our regular guests. We are proud you like coming here. See you soon (hopefully)!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is situated near the main railway station. You can walk to the hotel from the station in about 3 minutes if you take station exit completly opposite the taxi exit and you also will avoid an irate taxi driver annoyed about a 5 euro fare. The hotel is modern and fairly minimal in style has a good Japanese restaurant and a pleasant bar. The area surrounding this hotel has many other Japanese shops and restaurants. The hotel is an easy ten or fifteen minutes walk from the town centre and its interesting microbreweries and river restaurants. All in all this hotel provided a comfortable and convenient stop-over in Dusseldorf.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
hotel_nikko_dus, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Nikko Dusseldorf, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear GingerCheetah,
thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review on our hotel. We greatly appreciate this and hope to see you again some day.