“Comfortable, but dated decor”

Renaissance Duesseldorf Hotel
Ranked #50 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, but dated decor”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I used to be a regular visitor to the Renaissance, but this was my first visit in at least 5 years.

The hotel is a long way from the centre of Dusseldorf. We travelled by tram from Königsallee and it took about 20 minutes, and then a short walk.

As always, the welcome was friendly. The hotel is comfortable and clean, but nothing has been updated. It all feels very dated. Our room still had an old cathode ray TV and a radio controlled by knobs on the bedside table. The bed was big and comfortable, and there was tea and coffee in the room. There were some English-speaking TV stations (CNN, BBC World, Sky News), which is rare in German hotels.

Breakfast had both hot items (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages) and the usual continental selection of cheese and cold meats, bread rolls, fruit, pastries and juice. It was well-stocked, and as we stayed there at Easter, we were also given a large bar of Milka in the shape of a bunny.

The hotel has a bar, and drinks are served with a nice mix of nuts and crackers.

There is nothing wrong with this hotel, and I am sure it was lovely when it opened, but it really could do with a refresh if it wants to compete with better-located upmarket hotels. The decoration is the only thing which lets the place down. Everything just feels a little bit 1980s...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I could not have been more impressed by the service from the staff at this hotel. I arrived after my all-night flight for check-in at 9am, doubtful that a room would be ready. But Fabian placed a call to housekeeping, and an hour later I was in my room. Not to mention that he connected my 1-night reservation with the separately booked 3-night reservation of my travel companion who was arriving a day later so that I wouldn't have to change rooms after 1 day.

The next day, after my companion's baggage did not arrive with him in the morning (merci, Air France), we checked with Christina upon our return to the hotel that night. The bags had not yet been delivered, so Christina promptly called Air France on our behalf. It so happened that 2 of his 3 bags were delivered while Christina was on the phone with the agent. With the 3rd bag still missing, Christina left a note for the front desk staff to follow up on our behalf the following day (which they did).

As for the property itself, it was in much better shape than some of the other reviewers described. It hardly seemed dated to me... perhaps it had been recently renovated? Housekeeping staff was top-notch and was able to converse with us in English. Only thing missing from the hotel was a fitness center. Otherwise it would have a '5' rating in my book.

Location was great. Not downtown, but easily accessible to both the city center and the airport. From the airport, I bought a ticket on the S11 train (don't take the S1), took it two stops to Dusseldorf-Derendorf, then transferred upstairs for the streetcar one stop to Heinrichstrasse. 5 minute walk from that stop to the hotel. One-way ticket with free transfers was 2.50 Euro. All-day pass was just 5.90 Euro. Trip from airport was about 20 minutes. The streetcar ride into the city center was about 10 minutes and super-convenient with frequent departures.

In all, an enjoyable experience in Dusseldorf made more enjoyable by the superb hospitality of the Renaissance team.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mike J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Very dated hotel in def need of a refurb.
Even reception looks dull and dreary!

Rooms are spacious and the bed was comfy but that's about it.

I only stayed one night and that's more than enough.

Surprised Marriott group will have that hotel on there portfolio.

Flatten it and start over!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

As almost all the reviews suggest, this hotel’s décor is extremely dated. The last time it was genuinely stylish, its country was called West Germany. I have to agree with other contributors that the room furniture is not just old but rather depressing. And these days who has a TV shaped like a box?

My room also had other minor issues. The curtains didn’t close tightly, which was rather a nuisance as there was a large amber spotlight just outside my window which was still shining brightly at 1am in the morning. (Environmental awareness, Renaissance?) I solved the problem by using some sellotape (in my luggage luckily) to tape the curtains shut: but should this have been necessary in a 4* hotel? There was also some mould on the ceiling, an attempt having been made to disguise it by applying paint to it. The aircon was ancient and never got the room quite as cool as I wished.

So that’s the negative stuff about the room. On the plus point my double bed was exceptionally comfortable and I had 2 nights of excellent sleep (not something I always get in hotels). The TV system also had lots of British TV shows so I wasn’t restricted to CNN and lots of unknown films. Sound insulation was quite good and I wasn’t bothered by the adjacent autobahn.

The hotel has a swimming pool and spa on the top floor. The pool is OK but the hotel is missing an opportunity to make the experience a bit special. The lighting is poor and the windows are quite dirty. The Renaissance adds an additional 12Euro charge for each use of the sauna and steam room. As it happens, my weekend rate was excellent but if I was paying top dollar for my stay I would expect the spa to be complimentary.

Eating at the hotel was a mixed experience. I had a perfectly nice Asian dish one evening, although I suspect that something of similar quality would be available in a downtown restaurant at perhaps half the 17Euro price. The breakfast was a bit disappointing and, as a previous reviewer said, nowhere near as good as that offered by the Swissotel nearby.

Staff were all helpful and pleasant.

For all its outdated character, the hotel has a ground floor with quite a grand setting and, with some investment, could be quite special. Although my stay was average, I paid only £50 a night for a weekend stay with breakfast included so I was hardly short-changed. Plus, as I mentioned, I did get decent sleep thanks to the comfortable bed. But a hotel at this star level should be quite a lot better and Dusseldorf has many other places offering good weekend deals without the flaws of the Renaissance. I will wait until the hotel is fully refurbished before considering whether to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in November of 2012. It was fairly close to public transportation but that's it. Walking into the hotel felt just like we stepped back in time. It seriously feels like the 1980's like other reviewers have said. The rooms are old with depressing furniture and a moldy smell in the bathroom. There wasn't even a flat screen TV in the room. Time to upgrade because you would expect much better from a Marriott hotel, especially a Renaissance.
The only other positive was the staff. They were very cordial and helpful. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mjelahi
Reviewed February 28, 2013

If I had to pay cash for a room at this hotel I would not have stayed. Since I was using my points, I grin and bear it and later regret it. The hotel lobby is old and dated in to the mid 1980s. Looks like it still has the original decor when it was opened in 1985. The hotel room was roomy; the bathroom smelled like sewer; looks like the original TV from 1980s; and raggedy elevator - I actually got stuck in one of the elevators on the far left side for few minutes which to me seem like eternity. I am still traumatized from that. The Summertime Restaurant had good dinner and service. Took a long time for the dessert to arrive which caused me to miss going for a evening swim at the pool upstairs. The breakfast buffet was good. There is parking garage attached to hotel.

For those who are platinum members or have executive lounge privileges, you have free access to everything in the minibar in your room and breakfast included because there is no executive lounge at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 27, 2013

stayed in this hotel in Jan. Very convenient access to Dusseldorf airport, about 10-12 minutes by taxi. But hotel does not offer shuttle. Restaurant has very limited choice for vegeterians. Rooms are clean & staff are efficient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business