“Good Hotel for a Night or Two, Convenient”

Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel
Ranked #34 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel was fine for what it was. The room was clean and quiet (even though it was right across the street from the airport), and it served its purpose for 2 jetlagged Americans.
Location: The hotel’s location had mostly positives. It was right across the street from the airport (literally, you walk outside of the terminal and cross the street) and you’re there. It was sitting on top of the rail line that runs into Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof station in 12 mins (2.40 Euros). (From there you could either way—a bit of a distance, but all flat—or take a taxi to Konigsallee the main shopping street or down to the waterfront promenade.) The only negative is obviously being outside of the hustle and bustle of the old town and the waterfront, but for spending a night between flights with only one day to enjoy the city anyway, it was ideal. It also worked out well because we arrived and spent our first day in Dusseldorf and then rented a car early the next morning from the airport right there for the day and drove to Burg Eltz Castle and returned the car back there before our flight that evening.
Overall: Overall, the hotel served its purpose well. There was nothing “above and beyond” about it, but for a night at an airport hotel it was pretty nice. The entrance was nondescript for a hotel. It was just a sign on a door across from the airport and a hall with elevators that you took up to the lobby. The lobby wasn’t huge, but it had some couches and a few computer terminals in it for guests’ use. I wouldn’t recommend the breakfast since it didn’t look very exciting and the price was exorbitant for what it was (we skipped it).
Hotel Staff: The staff didn’t go out of their way to be helpful, but if asked, they provided whatever information you needed. No one was rude, and check-in and out were fast and easy.
Room: The room was fine for one night (the bed was a bit hard for a Sheraton but otherwise nothing really wrong with it). It was clean, as was the bathroom. The room wasn’t huge, but once again, fine for one night. It had a window looking out on a little grassy area planted outside of it which was actually kind of pretty. I was just happy to find that it was quiet considering that it was right across from the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Julisch, Executive Secretary at Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear meghan429,

I am delighted that you were staying with us in August and you obviously have enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to have written such a detailed comment on tripadvisor.
You have summarized the facts very well and certainly the direct airport location is unbeatable, just like the excellent access to public transport.
Because of a few mentioned advantages our hotel offers travelers an uncomplicated, comfortable stay and provides a pleasant feel-good atmosphere.

I want to thank you again for your positive feedback, and we look forward to maybe see you soon in our Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel, if your travel plans again take you from New Jersey to Dusseldorf.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had been in Amsterdam on business and was flying back to Miami from Dusseldorf, on the early morning flight ad decided to spend the night in Dusseldorf. I stayed at the Sheraton at the airport.
The airport is very modern. The hotel is connected by a two minute, undercover walk to the departures hall at the airport.

Hotel s all on 1 level. Rooms are what you would expect, nothing to write home about, but won't disappoint you either. The in house restuarant has a decent menu. All staff were very professional and courteous. Handy bar in the reception area. The barmen, who hails from Sri Lanka was very engaging and interesting, made a nice change from typically impersonal business hotels.

I would stay here again by choice if I was transmitting through Dusseldorf again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Julisch, Executive Secretary at Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Terry G,

a friendly hello to Florida and thank you so much for your positive evaluation on tripadvisor.
An absolute motivator in your comment are the positive words about our F&B Team, especially about our bartender. I forwarded your feedback directly to our F&B Manager who will be more than happy to share your impressions with her team.

I Think it is great that you felt so well cared for!

Terry G, I wish you a wonderfull Christmas time and all the best for 2013 and we will be more than happy to welcome you again when travelling brings you back to Duesseldorf!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Very clean, excellent service, great location for airport and rail link into town.
Room quality was good, bathroom a little small, but very clean. Good breakfast in a room with a spectular view (of the motorway!!!) Staff very helpful.
On the down side, its a characterless property. But it does what I would expect for an airport hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear DKBNZTRAVELLER,

thank you for your honest words and for sharing your impressions on tripadvisor.
I'm really happy, that you have felt comfortable during your stay in our hotel and you felt well cared for. The view of the restaurant is really nice, therefore the name "OTTO - dine with a view".
Unfortunately, you wrote that you found our hotel without character, which I can not quite understand, because to a large part the employees give heart and soul to a hotel. The Sheraton Duesseldorf Airport Hotek with its 198 rooms is rather a small hotel and the interior is largely determined by warm colors. From every room our guests have a view of the countryside and even 17 water turtles live in our sky garden.

Dear DKBNZTRAVELLER, I would be glad if you could explain this to me closer at your next stay, because the feedback from our guests often helps us see things from a different point of view.

Kind regards and a wonderful Christmas as well as an outstanding New Year!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Spacious, clean rooms and direct access to the terminal..

It was all very pleasant, the breakfast buffet was great and if I had a bit less alcohol, I'm sure I'd have woken up feeling as fresh as a daisy!

My only slight grievance was that they offer a fantastic nespresso machine in each room, but they undermine this generosity by charging €4.50 to bring you milk.. I know its petty to complain about it, but equally as petty to charge it when you're already paying a considerable amount to stay there...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hjpkt
Julisch, Executive Secretary at Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Harry P,

thank you so much for your good evalution on tripadvisor and I am very delighted that you felt comfortable during your stay at the Sheraton Duesseldorf Airport Hotel.
I also would like to express my thanks to you for taking the time to share your experiences.
I already shared your suggestion concerning the milk for the coffee with our F&B Manager. Your information will allow us to improve our service continuously and to work on our service quality. Surely we will find a solution in this matter in the near future.

Dear Harry P, I wish you a Merry Christmas and an outstanding New Year!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

When I review this hotel from the location point of view as "Excellent", you have to remeber that it of course means in the terms of the access to the aiport and not to surroundings! In contrast to some other "aiport hotels" this is really in/at the airport and you can walk in directly to check-in area. They have decent breakfast from early morning hours (for convenience) and nice although small bar for evening. Personally I would spend more time in Cologne or other nearby cities in the evening and only sleep and breakfast in this hotel. Service was excellent, above the Sheraton standards, i would say, and the hotel has nice round-like architecture. I definitely would stay in this hotel for my next stay departing from DUS even if it was not at too early hours.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank K H
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Great location in Terminal but rooms were very warm and the toilet had a very bad smell. Fast Internet was fixed at 20 euros and I queued at reception for 30 mins at check in and 10 mins at check out.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank kwatt83
Julisch, Executive Secretary at Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear kwatt83,

thank you very much for sharing your impressions of your stay and your open words on tripadvisor.
I am really sorry that you didn't totally felt comfortable during your stay and the listed points are definitely factors that limit the overnight experience at a Sheraton hotel. Please be so kind and contact our employees at reception, the will be more than delighted to find a solution.
Concerning the mentioned waiting time at reception during check-in and check-out I already talked to our Front Office Manager to make sure to avoid that in the future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Hotel room is quite acceptable. Bathroom is rather small and the hotel experience [overall] is a bit "cold" but it serves the purpose. Overall, the place gives you a bit of an impersonal stay but when in a layover, one may not care...

I had to few hours to spend, which allowed me to catch up with email (@ EUR19). I still don't get why internet access has to be so expensive in Europe. Doesn't make sense. Charge everyone in their room 50c more and you're out of the cost. Strange...

Location is great however. I was able to return the car the night before so I had a smooth check-in experience the next day.

I would stay here again during a future trip [considering the price is right].

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank RCGenk

Dear RCGenk,

I am very glad that we could welcome you as our guest in November, although your stay had layover reasons.
I am very sad when I read that you felt not perceived at our hotel. This is actually what distinguishes our particular Sheraton Service and we attach a lot importance to this. Now that I have read your comment I know that we have to start here again.
Concerning the mentioned internet charges for our guests we offer free internet access in our Link@Sheraton Lounge in our Lobby. It is directly next to our bar "on chocks" so you actually would have the possibility to order hot or cold beverages and for example check your mails. Next time you stay at any Sheraton hotel all over the world please do not hesitate and ask our front desk employees, they will give you immediatly support.

Executice Secretary