“Culture”

and up
Classical City Segway Tour in Dusseldorf
Ranked #42 of 178 things to do in Dusseldorf
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular performance center once served as a planetarium.
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This concert hall gives the right atmosphere for any classical piece. Watching the Orchestra of the Robert Schummann School was brilliant - I don't think any professional orchestra could have done a better job.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great atmosphere, fantastic building, sitting in circle is something very special, good acoustic. Very good selection of concerts, sometimes acoustic sets of known jazz, pop, rock artists.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

The last thing I expected was culture shock.

I turned up to a conert starting at 11am on a Sunday morning expecting a very moderate crowd - but this is Dusseldorf where they do things their way. The hall was 90% full.
I asked for a ticket at the back of the hall. 34 Euros. Wow! I have never paid that much for a music ticket in my life. Well, I thought to myself, in for a penny.....

First you cannot enter the hall wearing a coat. All coats must be checked in and not just anywhere. There is a cloak room for each door, mine was D. I dutifully did this and reappeared at the door. I was directed to my seat. Silly me, I expected the numbers to go 1,2,3 and so on. No, one side of the aisle they start 2,4,6,8 and the other end of the row 1,3,5,7. I asked the girl why and she said ' I dont know, I did not design the place'.

I entered the hall 20 minutes before and there were a few double bass players wearming up. At the start time the manager came on and greeted everyone and spent about 5 minutes discussing the programme for the year and thanking various people to rounds of applause.

When the players came in everyone tuned up and the lead violin stood up and faced the orchestra. She indicated to the flute who gave out the A. After the wind had tuned she then played the A on the violin and the strings tuned, When the conductor came in he shook hands with the lead violin and for some unknown reason the violinist next to her.

This is indeed a lively orchaestra. Only problem was I found it far too loud for the relatively small area of the hall. Londoners please imagine and area half the size of the Festival Hall with a 100 piece orchestra. My ears hurt. I decided to sit out the second half in the most interesting area below the hall where the music was piped. The ante room contains an exhibition of the development of music performance in Germany since WW2. There are large size black and white photos of composers and artists. Very impactful.

They make a big thing of the interval with coffee etc available. A very nice touch. When the time comes to assemble for the second part they play a few bars of music. Nothing so vulgar as announcements. After the concert there was a champagne bar, and a buffet for 16.50 Euros.

So this is not just a concert hall but a complete social occasion. Gangnam style? Most definitely.

1  Thank Brian-Snellgrove
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This music hall had very professional acoustic technicians, combined with a challenging architecture. It is absolutely worth listening to a concert at Tonhalle or, if you have the opportunity, to give a concert on this stage.

1  Thank Matthias L
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Even if there is no concert, a visit to the Tonhalle is more than worthwhile. The building is the former planetarium into which has been magicked the most superb concert hall: so atmospheric, with wonderful sound - and if you can hear the Dusseldorf Symphony Orchestra, so much the better. Booking on-line is expensive as there is a booking fee, but it is rarely totally full!