“Review of K21 building only: what a building!”

Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen
Ranked #21 of 178 things to do in Dusseldorf
More attraction details
Owner description: The city's premier art museum features works by greats such as Picasso and Matisse, as well as works by local talent.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

It is only now after reading other reviews on tripadvisor that I understand that I was visiting just one of several seperated buildings, K21 (where are the Picasso's I have heard of?2. "In building xx"). That could, perhaps should, have put me off giving an Excellent rating, but I was so wowed by firstly the building (the best exhibit of all), the challenges posed by the resident exhibitions (if you don't want contemporary art to challenge you, don't go), and the extensive Klee visiting exhibition, that anything other than excellent would have belied my feelings as I left the building.

From outside it is an impresive old building in a park shouting the question 'what should we do with this out of time out of place building?'. Inside a few reminders of an elegant past expertly woven in, but mainly an open light white space of modern walls and steel and glass roof. A pleasure just to be in the building.

One little downer. The 'bar' looked great for food and drink, but seeing a glass of sekt (a good choice for the surroundings) priced at 8 euros, more than most of the surrounding smart places, I wasn't about to find out whether the delivery lived up to the looks. Again, could have put me off, but still I walked out of the building feeling 'that was excellent', so the score is 'Excellent'.

I haven't uploaded my photos yet, so look at the museum's website for pics.

1  Thank David E

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Well organized, polite and well-dressed security staff. Such a difference to the hooligans they employ at gigs in Sweden!
Staffed wardrobe was free, can you imagine. And the 1-EUR lockers gave money back, what a great service.

3  Thank sunjan
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Close to the transportation, this has a collection from a number of masters. The art is varied and at times breath taking. This is a place one must visit when in Dusseldorf. The museum had Gilliam Wearing's collection in their artist wing. She is thought inspiring and worth the effort to see.

2  Thank MaximumVelocity
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This museum is very large and shows art from the 20th century to the present in galleries that seem to go on forever. Great modern masters in depth and breadth. Multiple works by Picasso and Mondrian for example. The spaces are beautifully proportioned and there's plenty of room to see things. It also has a nice little cafe.

4  Thank OutofKansas
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I went to K20. Handily located to transport links. Good mix of artists too. Picasso,Dali etc. I particularly liked the Duchamp and Matisse pieces.

A must see in Dusseldorf, especially when the weather is wet.

1  Thank MysticManc