“Great room and location, but for 5 star, misses critical items”

Steigenberger Parkhotel Duesseldorf
Ranked #8 of 237 Hotels in Dusseldorf
GreenLeadersBronze level
Amsterdam
“Great room and location, but for 5 star, misses critical items”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed one night at Steigenberger in Dusseldorf during the week-end of the Japanese Day. In chronological order: the welcome was good and checkin fast. However, we should not be asked if we want help with the luggage with hesitation, it should be taken to the room, it is a 5 star hotel, that is the least ! The room was great, large, very nice bed and sofa, nice TV, comfortable bathroom (little small though). The black dots are: no free internet in the room and no coffee/tea making facility. With its standard and its location, this hotel must receive a lot of business travelers; therefore I cannot comprehend that Internet is an extra/paying option in the room. And please a kettle and some tea bags, that is so basic. How dare they put this in the room service for 4,50 euro. we ordered dinner in the room and the food was quality (besides the fries, unfrozen and not fresh). The breakfast as included in the room rate which was good but I cannot recall what I have eaten! If I tell you I remember my breakfast from 3 years ago at Novotel Aachen, I think you get my point. Oh, and the cappucino was worse than the one I get from my coffee machine at work, this I remember.
The review might sound critic but all in all, i would still recommend it. location and room are worth it. But with little costless improvement (internet, kettle and tea/coffee, better breakfast), this would have been a truly 5 star-experience.

Room Tip: There is currently construction work all over the place. Our room avoided that but the view was noth...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MaBoyOmar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We spent in this hotel a weekend for the celebration of the Japan Day in Düsseldorf.
The pluses: friendly front desk staff, large rooms, good location, good breakfast

The minuses: no coffee/tea making facilities in the room (and a tea costs 4.50 euro), no free internet connection in the room, a HUUUGE construction site just in front of it, making very difficult to access the hotel by car (it took us 1h on a 10-min traject), limited parking (10-12 places).

I appreciated most the size and the flawless cleanliness of the room and the hotel's central location. The decoration was a bit outdated to my taste, with huge pieces of furniture, gives more of an impression of a castle than a hotel, but given the size of the room it didn't look cramped. The breakfast was fresh and with a lot to choose from, however nothing beyond the usual hotel food (juices, cereals, cold cuts, pancakes..).

Once we unloaded our car we were greeted by a bored employee who saw our only piece of luggage and asked almost annoyed if we needed help with that (which we didn't, but in my opinion, in a 5 star hotel he should've helped no questions asked). Then the front desk staff was really welcoming and the nice room made us forget about the initial annoyances.

After watching the fireworks in the really chilly evening, it would have been quite nice to be able to make a hot tea in the hotel, I could not believe they hadn't any facilities.

Internet was free in the lobby only, but after taking a shower I was very comfortable in the bath robe, I wouldn't want to dress up again and go down just to read emails.

We have ordered dinner in the room and the food arrived promptly, it was well prepared and a feast for the eyes. Many thanks to Nina, who helped with the ordering (a french accent when speaking English in Germany appeared to be a problem).

All in all a great weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Make reservation for tables with a view!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank anda_holland
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for Christmas market.
The hotel has very nice location in the very center of shopping area, by the old city. You can reach by 20 mimutes walking any shop at Ko allee and any restaurant in Alt Stadt ( old part of the city).
The service at the hotel done by old germal ladies, so it adds charm to the old-style decoration of the hotel.
Maybe hotel is not new one, but quality and charm on the high level.
Maybe little bit expensive, but try to look special offers - I saved more than 30% by applying it.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Vereshchagin
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The first time we visited Steigenberger was in December 2009. We stayed in a deluxe room which was a beautiful,spacious,light blue room.In our second visit we stayed in a superior room which was very good too. Breakfast was excellent. A varriety of everything served in a neat restaurant with luxurious furniture.
The location is perfect.Downtown in koenigsalle where you can go shopping and a 5 minute walk from the old town which is a must when visiting Dusseldof.
The only drawback was the construction taking place in front of the hotel. We hope it will have finished by December 2011 when we have planned our next visit

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sophia i
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed here on business and found the hotel room and restaurant both excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My only complaints would be the price is a little high and you pay for everything as an extra (breakfast and internet) and the construction underway in front of the hotel made it a little hard to find the entrance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
oswestry
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Lovely hotel, great food and great service. The centre of Düsseldorf itself is pretty uninspiring but its business centre and nightlife make up for it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed here for two nights in the Robert Schumann Suite (room 320). I had an offer on this suite, for which I prepaid whilst booking it about 8 months in advance.

The suite was lovely. A huge bedroom, a huge bathroom, wardrobe, enormous living room, second toilet, a total of three TVs ... and all tastefully decorated. And the welcome that we received was also very warm, efficient and helpful. The front of house staff were all delightful.

However, the place is not without its issues. First was our bathroom. The shower looked wonderful, with three sets of jets. Unfortunately, if you turned them all on, you instantly flooded the bathroom floor. Even with just one on, it was necessary to wedge a towel up against the inside of the shower door in order to stop water leaking out. The shower enclosure was therefore of a poor design and the drain had not been properly cleared (I'm assuming that when the shower was installed, the water drained away quicker than it does now).

The taps on both basins also leaked (with water seeping out between their mountings and the surround).

We were obviously not the first people to have flooded the bathroom floor, since, upon standing by the sinks soon after arrival, a floor tile stuck to my foot. When heading out for the afternoon, I took this down to reception and presented them with it. Despite apologies, absolutely nothing was done about it for the rest of our stay.

The other problem with the bathroom was the TV enclosure. I didn't actually use the TV in the bathroom but if I had I doubt that I would have seen much. I have never seen such a dust-encrusted fitting in a suite in a hotel of this caliber. It was nothing short of filthy. There's a photo of it attached to this review.

When booking a suite, I do expect it to have a large queen or king size bed in it. This one came with twin beds, albeit twin beds right next to each other. I thought this was rather strange.

If you pay the full rack rate price for this suite, you are expected to pay just over €1200 per night. And for that, they then expect you to pay €5.50 for a bottle of mineral water in your room and €9 for 24 hours internet. If I pay €1200 per night, I would expect all these things (and more) for free. At the moment, this is nothing short of daylight robbery.

The breakfast is the usual buffet affair but they did have a note on the table to say that they could cook eggs to order (although this was not actually offered by the host). So, we ordered two plates of fried eggs and bacon - one with soft fried eggs and one with hard fried eggs. We took the time to explain to the host exactly what was meant by hard fried eggs (the yolk should be totally solid). She brushed this off with a 'yes, yes, yes I understand'. So, 24 minutes (yes, 24 minutes!) later we were presented with two plates of soft fried eggs. All this for €29 per person! Very poor effort. We skipped breakfast the following day.

The hotel has a perfect location but has some way to go if it wants to be as good as it thinks it is. Would I stay here again? I doubt it; I think that there are probably some better value hotels in Dusseldorf. I'm very happy with very expensive hotels ... but only if they deliver the first class service and experience justified by the expense.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple