“Traditional food and good prices”
Review of Picasso

Picasso
Ranked #977 of 1,845 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Traditional food and good prices”
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

We ate here as it looked traditional, the restaurant was not full so had no issues with the service as per previous customers. The snails were delicious and the seasonal white asparagus was good. Wine was average but the cost of the meal was very reasonable.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milan
“Ruined a special occasion Tourist Trap”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I had the misfortune of falling in the trap this restaurant is, simply out of wanting to quickly find a place to eat that was central as we were very hungry. It seemed busy so we were seated. I can't start with how rude the waiter was with my girlfriend deciding to talk to her only in german and ignore me and always misunderstanding her and never putting effort to rectify it, pressuring us in to quick orders. She just ordered the snails and I ordered the fried anchovies and then the "Argentinian" steak. I wasn't even asked how I wanted it cooked. The anchovies arrived and seemed like a mess just thrown on to a plate with a tiny side of sauce, finally bread arrived and we were told the butter would shortly follow, it took over forty minutes by which time we had finished our meal. The snails were over cooked, few and just looked like a tiny shriveled prune covered in oil, she was very unhappy with this and I asked her if she wanted anything else and she clearly had no intention of having anything to do with the menu anymore. My steak arrived, a thick steak cooked and recooked through, no tenderness, none of that lovely juice a steak should have... oh... and the cold french fries that don't even come with the meal. I have never been to a restaurant that just throws a slab of meat in the middle of a plate with nothing else, a desolate sight. I still let hunger have the best and accepted I had brought this on myself by going to a tourist area but things got so much worse when I tried to ask for the bill. It took another forty minutes of asking over and over again to pay and at one point the waiter told my partner: "Why does everybody want to pay at the same time!!" When I finally got the bill, a completely soggy piece of paper the waiter explained to my partner that there was a problem and we had been billed for another tables items to and that we had to go through the bill and he would scratch things off. She did patiently in German while I ran out of patience and asked him to fix it properly and return with a real bill. He got aggressive and told me that it was a real bill, scribbled a new price at the bottom and told me to pay. Things got heated and he started pointing a finger at me saying "Please Please" and telling explaining it was his way or the highway. Fed up I decided to pay and then realized I had been taken advantage that the price wasn't even right as I had paid taxes on the original full amount for two tables... Sometimes it is inevitable to be the unwary tourist, in this particular occasion I really felt anger towards their arrogant behavior. Mc Donalds would have been a much better choice.

• Visited April 2012
4 Thank 737CFI
“Expensive and soulless, helped only by the restaurant's location.”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Horrible food, rude and pretentious staff. Too expensive for little quality. Stay away!

2 Thank randomintelligence
Pomaro Monferrato
“You can find better place !”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

When I stayed there, the restaurant was very crowded and that could be the reason of a lot of mistakes.
After choosing our dishes (only one couse for each of us), the waiter came for proposing a couple of dishes with Patanegra ham (in my opinion it was not Patanegra) that was very dryed, served with good olives; after that came again leaving a bottle of medium level red spanish wine at "only" 29€, but we preferred to drink beer.
We ordered entrecote steaks with backed potatoes, but the waiter came with fried potatoes saying that no more backed potatoes were available, and only for 3 people (we were 4). I stayed waiting for at least 15 minutes for my entrecote, while the waiter was serving steaks to other tables. I asked for a medium cooked, and arrived a rare...but arrived!
At the end of the dinner, the "brave" waiter asked directly us for a tip, explaining that the bill didn't included the price for the service at table! What service?

• Visited November 2011
London, United Kingdom
“very good food, non expensive wine, nice people.”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed in Düsseldorf last week and had a bad experience at a restaurant that I placed a review for last week.

This week the same, one night in Düsseldorf for an early flight in the Morning. I was travelling with the same colleague as last week, so he experienced the restaurant trauma with me last week also.

The concierge in our Hotel recommended Picasso. Picasso is in a little walking side street just off a main walking street in what they call the Old Town. The whole area is very interesting and well worth a walk and taking pot luck in many of the bustling places to eat and drink.
Picasso is a Spanish Restaurant as are most of the restaurants in the small side street. Picasso was quite full and the outside tables were all taken. But they found a table inside next to a big open window so we could watch the world walk by.

The place we ate in last week was so expensive for wine ( and the food) . So I was cautious this week and looked at the prices first. No problem there, they were all reasonable. So I ordered a litre of the house red wine at €19.50, very good value and was a very good wine.
For food I ordered Gambas a la Plancha (grilled king prawn) for starters. My friend ordered the Picasso Salad, which looked like a very good salad niçoise, minus the small potatoes. My prawns were very good, I was disappointed that I had finished them, and promised myself I would go back and have a larger portion for a main course with one of the very reasonably priced bottles of white wine on the list. My Friend made similar complementary comments about his salad. Oh forgot; when we sat down they gave us complementary, a large glass of dry sherry with a few nibbles, the sherry was very welcome, and nice, so after finishing it, I asked for another which they bought without any hesitation.
Main course we both ordered the same. Boringly we both went for the 300 gram fillet steak (sollomio). I think this was because of the bad experience we had on the quest for a good steak last week in Düsseldorf. Both of us asked for medium. It came with some sautéed potatoes and some broccoli. It was all very good, and the steak was extra good.
It cost €89.00 for the two of us, and I left a €10 tip. Left the place with lots of Buenos noches and hasta la wego from the staff. Would I go back? Absolutely yes. Would I recommend the Picasso? Absolutely yes.

• Visited August 2011