$165
  • Room Service
$117
$101
  • Pool
DJH Jugendgaestehaus Adolph Kolping(Dortmund)(Great Value!)
$97
$76
Hostelworld.com
  • Breakfast included
$124
$107
Priceline
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscar park chargetram stationcity centrean italian restaurantroom was spotlessly cleanone nightcontinental breakfastchoose this hotelnice hotelper dayeasy accessbudget hotelbusiness tripsignal iduna parkihghixbarrier
Reviewed August 11, 2015

The hotel was an odd cross between an American Holiday Inn Express and a European hotel with the worst of both types and few consolations. The room was supposed to have A/C but it looked like no A/C controls I’d ever seen and didn’t work. The breakfast wasn’t any better than a US Holiday Inn Express with none of the consolations of a cooked breakfast which I thought was de rigueur in a European Continental hotel. The room was closet size, and the bathroom had an odd feature. The bathroom door doubled as a door to close off the toilet. There was no shampoo provided, just squirt bottles on the walls that were supposed to double as shampoo and hand soap at the same time. This hotel offered ice but no ice buckets. Unlike most European hotels there was no restaurant, just liquor sales in the lobby of all things! No family atmosphere here. To add insult to injury we had to pay for parking. When we were coming back from dinner having to pause to put the token in the machine to get back in the parking lot caused our recent model car rental, a Skoda Octavia, to cut off.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dortmund, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2015

Dear LCargillTucson,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas like the size of the room and parking issues and we take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dianne L.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 5, 2015

In general I really like HI Express Hotels because they are everywhere the same. So you really know what you get. Breakfast is ok but nothing special, rooms are not that big but for me really perfect for a short stay. There is coffee/tea maker in the room and everything you need for a comfort stay. We stayed two nights and after arriving we realized that the air-con in our room was not cooling. The staff on the 31st of July (11 pm) was really great. They checked the air con and because it was not working we got a new room with a working one and they were really friendly.
In the morning of the 1st of August we had breakfast in the hotel and as we were in a hurry I packed a mini-croissant in a napkin and took it with me in order to eat it on the way. The staff this morning was not a quarter as good as the staff the eveneing before. Her name was Nadine. She told me that I was not allowed to take this croissant with me. I was surprised because in other hotels this has never been a problem. I explained that it would be a pity to throw it away and that I had unfortunately no time for eating it in that moment. She didn't care and repeated that I have to lay down this croissant because I'm not allowed to take something with me.
I got really upset because that's crazy. To trash a croissant just because it is not allowed to eat it on the go? I mean I would have eaten it in the hotel but I simply had no time. So I had to leave the croissant and I was asking myself why do these hotels make great environmental policy (not changing towels etc.) for then generate waste out of things that are fit to eat? That's absurd. And this it what Nadine and especially the Holiday Inn chain should think about! Because I'm really disappointed because of that behavior and that kind of policy!

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dortmund, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2015

Dear guest334299hdzzdh179,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you liked the room amenities and how quickly our staff rectified the problem with air conditioning unit. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to the breakfast policy. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations in this area. Your comments have been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 3, 2015

If driving across Germany wanting a good hotel in the Dortmund area this is good. Normal German Holiday Inn Express quality. I can't say breakfast was a massive choice, being summer you wouldn't want alot. Frest fruit was a bit lacking and the kiwis were like hard boilled eggs.

Car park charge. Well appointed rooms. Quite location. Good wifi internet access.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
Ralf B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dortmund, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2015

Reviewed July 2, 2015

The location is a little out of town centre but nicely located to be in the opposite flow of traffic for me to get to my work site so the commute was fine especially with the roadworks.

The hotel is exactly what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express, nice room, mine was very quiet. Breakfast in the morning was better than I expected and had good tasty options available. The reception staff were great on arrival allowing a quick and painless check in.

In terms of eating there are few good restaurants near "Phoenix see" (short drive away) but worth a trip. Personally not a fan of the Italian restaurant round the corner.

Some of the restaurants in the area do not take credit cards.

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled on business

Reviewed June 11, 2015 via mobile

Convenient for everything but convenient for nothing in particular

In the middle of no where

Has a bar with no atmosphere in a business park

A nice italian resteruant is within walking distance.
Very good if the location fits your needs as a stopover

Stayed: May 2015, traveled on business