“Excellent central hotel”

Novum Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Dortmund
“Excellent central hotel”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Very Nice hotel situated centrally in dortmund. Spacious rooms with all mod cons. Reception staff very helpfull. Free parking available although it will probably full by late afternoon. Excellent hotel for a football weekend in Dortmund, about a 20 min walk to the stadion.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Martin J
NovumGroupHotels, Guest Relation Assistant at Novum Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and your kind words, regarding your stay in our Hotel Unique Novum.
We have gladly passed your positive comments to our employees.
We hope to welcome you again as our guest soon.

Sincerely Yours

Unique Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Katowice, Poland
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We choose this hotel for its location, price and free internet.
The hotel is old fashioned, rooms spacious but quite cold, so cant imagine how it is during the cold days.Rooms are clean, bathroom quite nice, got everything what you need, you will also get kettle upon request. Definately i will get back to this one as wont get any better for this price!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice Review.
We are delighted that you had a nice time in Dortmund.
We would be glad to welcome you again in one of our Novum Hotels.

Faithfully Yours

Unique Team
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The hotel is located 10 minutes away from Dortmund Hauptbahnhof on foot. They have 24 hour check out. And that is all good about it.

Hotel interior looks expensive at first glance but then I realized that it is actually tasteless and cheap. They just tried to imitate luxury. My room was standard, with an OK bed, enough space and a desk. Unfortunately, whenever I tried to open the window to let some fresh air in, I could hear the noise from some machine like compressor of fan or something. So, no sleeping with open window.

The internet connection was horrible. They say it is free but the signal was strong enough only in the main hall. There was only one spot in my room (somewhere in the middle of my bed) where the connection was strong enough to be used properly. One can imagine how hard it is to use laptop in bed.

Staff was neither very helpful nor very kind. Desk clerk rolled her eyes when she saw that I was from Serbia - I never saw that happening in any other hotel in the world no matter whether they like my country or not. There were no towels in my bathroom on my arrival, so I went downstairs to ask that very same clerk for some towels. This time she tried to convince me that I must be mistaking and that that she is certain that every room has towels. I got them only after I insisted.

I would recommend avoiding this hotel unless location is of the essence.

Room Tip: Some rooms have no good internet connection. Some rooms are exposed to noise from machines in the ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sstargazerr

Travelers are raving about these Dortmund hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Unique Hotel in Dortmund for 3 nights just before Christmas after booking a good deal on easyjet holidays. The hotel itself is very conveniently located, it is a 5 minute maximum walk from the main train station so good for airport links and also very close to all the main sights and shops. We specifically went for the Christmas markets, Dortmund has the world's biggest Christmas tree and one of Germany's biggest market! The staff at the hotel are very helpful, especially when I managed to wipe the the room card after one day :). Our room was large, the bathroom (in particular the shower/bath) was excellent other than the fact that the vanity set box was empty and the free toiletries weren't great however a hairdryer was provided. There was an good selection of tv channels and the view from our window of the Dortmund 'U' building was great. The 'double bed' was typically two beds pushed together and strangely had two single duvets instead of one double but the mattress was comfortable enough. My only criticism would be there were a lot of weird banging noises which was quite strange. The room was also cleaned every day. We had breakfast included, which was continental, I don't think they offer cooked breakfast. It was of a good standard. I really liked the slightly bizarre marble decor in the foyer area, it was unique and draws attention in a good way. They had a bar with some attractive cocktail deals but we spent most of our time drinking gluhwein at the markets. The adjoined restaurant to the hotel is one of the highest rated on tripadvisor also! If I was to come to Dortmund again, I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: We had room 305 that had a fab view of the Dortmund 'U'.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Let me start by first commenting on the decor which seems to take up a lot of the comments regarding this hotel. Yes it is "grand" with the possible overuse of stone and with the furniture being somewhat baroque in nature. Add to this huge chandeliers suspended from the ceilings and fish tanks built into the walls and they may have gone a little over the top. However when push comes to shove the decoration is very personal thing and whereas one person may find this depressive or Gothic or even tacky others may love the plush opulence of it all. It really is just down to personal taste. I for one love it ! I found it to be none of the things mentioned above and allowed myself to sink deeply into the opulence of it all.

The bedrooms were large, clean and generally well maintained. The desk staff were both polite and helpful. Not having eaten breakfast at this hotel I cannot really make comment on the save the breakfast room always seemed to be quite busy.
Now there is however one BIG CON. They do not provide all that is necessary to make morning Coffee and I for one am unable to start my day until I have in by the in at least 3 cups. As a result I found it necessary to order a large pot of coffee from room service. So if you are one of those that need to start your day in a slow and relaxed manner with one or 2 cups of coffee this appears to be the only way to go. As somebody who lives in the United States I found this, though normal it seems in Germany, to be an inconvenience. Elevator is take you to all floors.

There is one other thing that may confuse some travellers staying at this hotel. On exiting the elevator the hallways appear to be pitch black. The Germans are very conscious of the efficiency of power and have installed a sensor system to light the hallways. So on exiting the elevator just march bravely out into the hallways and lights will turn themselves on.
Although there is a bar there is no restaurant. However attached to the Hotel is a restaurant with German cuisine named Peffercorn. The quality is reasonably good though never fine dining and the prices are quite reasonable. The main PRO of this place is there is no need to go hunting for somewhere to eat if you have just arrived and it is a little late in the day.

You can pull up at the front of the hotel and I was told that it is possible to park therefore 2 to 5 hours but rarely did I find that any of the parking spots were vacant.
As mentioned the Unterbahn system is very close. I think for me the main attraction of this hotel is its close proximity to the pedestrian shopping precincts. There are numerous bars and places to eat all within a short distance.
So to sum up. Luxurious (others would say tacky) hotel clean, polite staff and all one would need for a stay in Dortmund. Were I to be in Dortmund in the near future I would do have no hesitation but to stay there again though may consider bringing my own coffee and a peculator to ward off coffee withdrawal.

Room Tip: Check out prices on line before booking as they tend to vary.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Guildford
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had this hotel booked for me recently whilst visiting Dortmund for a meeting. Pretty horrible hotel inside, a little like a time warp, fine if you like marble and gold furniture..... the bed was hard and the bathroom tired. What made a fairly average stay worse was that dortmund were playing Arsenal on the night of my stay and lots of non-residents took it upon themselves to sleep in the hallways of the hotel..... no security at the hotel obviously.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel was in a great location literally minutes from the U Bahn station right across the road and about a 5 minute walk to the main train station which was superb. There were other U Bahn stations close by one leading to the market. The market was great lots of shops and a indoor main shopping centre, plenty of eating places so you were spoilt for choice. Our room was good spacious, tv, hairdryer, tea and coffee facilities, cushions on the bed, safe, loads of cupboard and wardrobe space to put your clothes and best of all a huge bath tub !! What I have to complain about is the staff attitude. Our safe didnt work on arrival so I went down to reception and they said they would send someone up. I waited and called like twice before someone eventually turned up. They made up the rooms quite late in the afternoon so if you went out in the morning and returned just after lunch chances are the rooms hadnt been made yet. On two occasions when we arrived back they were doing them so we had to go and return later as to not get in there way. Also they didnt seem to be able to understand too well when we were trying to explain anything to them. My sister phone was out of action and they said it would be fixed but she could only dial but not hear the person speaking on the other end. So overall the hotel itself was good but the staff manners I'm afraid not !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family