“A good hotel with a central location”

Novum Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Dortmund
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Unique Hotel in Dortmund for 3 nights just before Christmas after booking a good deal on easyjet holidays. The hotel itself is very conveniently located, it is a 5 minute maximum walk from the main train station so good for airport links and also very close to all the main sights and shops. We specifically went for the Christmas markets, Dortmund has the world's biggest Christmas tree and one of Germany's biggest market! The staff at the hotel are very helpful, especially when I managed to wipe the the room card after one day :). Our room was large, the bathroom (in particular the shower/bath) was excellent other than the fact that the vanity set box was empty and the free toiletries weren't great however a hairdryer was provided. There was an good selection of tv channels and the view from our window of the Dortmund 'U' building was great. The 'double bed' was typically two beds pushed together and strangely had two single duvets instead of one double but the mattress was comfortable enough. My only criticism would be there were a lot of weird banging noises which was quite strange. The room was also cleaned every day. We had breakfast included, which was continental, I don't think they offer cooked breakfast. It was of a good standard. I really liked the slightly bizarre marble decor in the foyer area, it was unique and draws attention in a good way. They had a bar with some attractive cocktail deals but we spent most of our time drinking gluhwein at the markets. The adjoined restaurant to the hotel is one of the highest rated on tripadvisor also! If I was to come to Dortmund again, I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: We had room 305 that had a fab view of the Dortmund 'U'.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Let me start by first commenting on the decor which seems to take up a lot of the comments regarding this hotel. Yes it is "grand" with the possible overuse of stone and with the furniture being somewhat baroque in nature. Add to this huge chandeliers suspended from the ceilings and fish tanks built into the walls and they may have gone a little over the top. However when push comes to shove the decoration is very personal thing and whereas one person may find this depressive or Gothic or even tacky others may love the plush opulence of it all. It really is just down to personal taste. I for one love it ! I found it to be none of the things mentioned above and allowed myself to sink deeply into the opulence of it all.

The bedrooms were large, clean and generally well maintained. The desk staff were both polite and helpful. Not having eaten breakfast at this hotel I cannot really make comment on the save the breakfast room always seemed to be quite busy.
Now there is however one BIG CON. They do not provide all that is necessary to make morning Coffee and I for one am unable to start my day until I have in by the in at least 3 cups. As a result I found it necessary to order a large pot of coffee from room service. So if you are one of those that need to start your day in a slow and relaxed manner with one or 2 cups of coffee this appears to be the only way to go. As somebody who lives in the United States I found this, though normal it seems in Germany, to be an inconvenience. Elevator is take you to all floors.

There is one other thing that may confuse some travellers staying at this hotel. On exiting the elevator the hallways appear to be pitch black. The Germans are very conscious of the efficiency of power and have installed a sensor system to light the hallways. So on exiting the elevator just march bravely out into the hallways and lights will turn themselves on.
Although there is a bar there is no restaurant. However attached to the Hotel is a restaurant with German cuisine named Peffercorn. The quality is reasonably good though never fine dining and the prices are quite reasonable. The main PRO of this place is there is no need to go hunting for somewhere to eat if you have just arrived and it is a little late in the day.

You can pull up at the front of the hotel and I was told that it is possible to park therefore 2 to 5 hours but rarely did I find that any of the parking spots were vacant.
As mentioned the Unterbahn system is very close. I think for me the main attraction of this hotel is its close proximity to the pedestrian shopping precincts. There are numerous bars and places to eat all within a short distance.
So to sum up. Luxurious (others would say tacky) hotel clean, polite staff and all one would need for a stay in Dortmund. Were I to be in Dortmund in the near future I would do have no hesitation but to stay there again though may consider bringing my own coffee and a peculator to ward off coffee withdrawal.

Room Tip: Check out prices on line before booking as they tend to vary.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had this hotel booked for me recently whilst visiting Dortmund for a meeting. Pretty horrible hotel inside, a little like a time warp, fine if you like marble and gold furniture..... the bed was hard and the bathroom tired. What made a fairly average stay worse was that dortmund were playing Arsenal on the night of my stay and lots of non-residents took it upon themselves to sleep in the hallways of the hotel..... no security at the hotel obviously.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel was in a great location literally minutes from the U Bahn station right across the road and about a 5 minute walk to the main train station which was superb. There were other U Bahn stations close by one leading to the market. The market was great lots of shops and a indoor main shopping centre, plenty of eating places so you were spoilt for choice. Our room was good spacious, tv, hairdryer, tea and coffee facilities, cushions on the bed, safe, loads of cupboard and wardrobe space to put your clothes and best of all a huge bath tub !! What I have to complain about is the staff attitude. Our safe didnt work on arrival so I went down to reception and they said they would send someone up. I waited and called like twice before someone eventually turned up. They made up the rooms quite late in the afternoon so if you went out in the morning and returned just after lunch chances are the rooms hadnt been made yet. On two occasions when we arrived back they were doing them so we had to go and return later as to not get in there way. Also they didnt seem to be able to understand too well when we were trying to explain anything to them. My sister phone was out of action and they said it would be fixed but she could only dial but not hear the person speaking on the other end. So overall the hotel itself was good but the staff manners I'm afraid not !

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Fantastic entrance lobby with stunning central stairway straight out of a movie scence set the tone for this splendid hotel just a stones throw from all the action that Dortmnd has to offer in the build-up to Christmas. , Large, comfortable rooms and the par-for-the-course Continental breakfast make it an ideal base for Christmas Market lovers, like my wife.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I asked for a quiet room as the hotel is on the main street and was given a nice room at the back. The room was spacious, with good furnishings. One problem was that on opening the door for the refrigerator there wasn't one there! Did have a safe and tea and coffee making facilities though. I didn't find the bed uncomfortable or too hard but perhaps that is because I do like a hard bed. Breakfast was the usual continental spread and except for the two male staff, I found the staff in the Breakfast room non-communicative and like the Receptionists not very welcoming. There is a Mall directly opposite that leads to many shops and food courts.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Hotel is located less than a 10 minute walk from the train station. There is also a U bahn station Westentor across from the hotel. The shopping street also begins in front of the hotel. Check-in was friendly and quick. The lobby is huge, it is from a bygone era. The room was huge, large marble bathroom, great water pressure in the shower. There is also a flat screen TV and free Wi Fi, there was also an in room safe. My room had a large desk for working, however no plug for using one's computer. I had to arrange to work on a small night stand next to the bed which did have a wall plug. For such a large room there was only a desk chair, so if two people were sharing, one would have to sit on the bed, or stand. An extra chair of some type would be useful. The bed was probably the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on. It was like sleeping on a piece of plywood. Absolutely no give or take to the mattress. There was also a peculiar smell in the room, and only by opening the window would it dissipate. Breakfast was not included in the rate. It was a pretty good buffet breakfast with a variety of foods. Because of the miserable bed, I will not be able to give this hotel a high rating, after all a good nights sleep on a decent bed is very important.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo