Novum Hotel Unique Dortmund Hauptbahnhof
  • Room Service
$79
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat hoteltwo sinkschristmas markettrain stationno air conpedestrian shopping arearestaurant next doorminute walkfour star hotellarge bathroomlots of shopscity centrehigh streetnight staygreat roomtea and coffeereception area
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I spend there only one night and that was enought. For 38euro a fantastic price, but the room wasnt worth more. Noisy and small with very small bed. It seems the mattress was on the floor. Again, the hotel fulfilled the purpose, but it wasnt a feel well stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TorroGuide
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel for several reasons - the location, the great offer they had for the dates of my visit to Dortmund, the spectacular photos in booking.com and the free wi-fi that they offered everywhere. Indeed, the quality of everything inside is superior and at it stands completely to the level required by the 4 stars.

The huge aquariums in the lobby are inhabited by various and beautiful exotic fish like the ones I have seen only in the Barcelona Aquarium. Everything in the lobby is high quality and looks (and surely is) expensive and luxurious. The rooms are spacious, clean, with nice bathrooms, large LCD TVs, well heated and with quality equipment. Maybe the style is a bit too ornamented for my taste, but I can recognize and appreciate quality. The only thing I would prefer to be different, was the bed, which was too hard for my understanding of comfort, but still was comfortable enough.

The wi-fi signal was strong throughout the floors and the connection was good. At least until the Sunday morning, when the router in my zone was not accepting connections. I mentioned this at the reception, but until the evening nothing had changed, so I complained again and they told me they cannot do anything before Monday (when I was leaving early in the morning), because the technicians are not available during the weekend.

Of course, I still had the option to use it in the lobby or on the sofa near the elevators on my floor, where another router was accessible, but that last evening the internet everywhere in the hotel was a mess - working in bursts of nice speed lasting just several seconds, followed by long periods of delays, packet losses, etc. Of course, this internet was a free service and free services tend to be neglected by their providers, but it doesn't take too much to keep that nice system in good working order - especially if you use it in advertising as a competitive advantage.

Otherwise the location of the hotel is perfect - next to a U-Bahn station, 10 minutes walking from the central train station, where you have a nice bus service to the airport as well, just in the beginning of one of the main shopping streets and 10-15 minutes on foot from the city center (the market and the Rathaus), so if I go to Dortmund again, I will certainly consider it as a preferred option.

Room Tip: Even the rooms overlooking the street are not noisy, if you keep the windows closed. Nice soundproof windows.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Ok, this place is definitely not like any other I have been before except in the far east in China or Cambodia. But it is fascinating and an experience at a price normal people can affort. I had a superior room booked, but ended up an Suite... I felt like only a harem is missing and I would be in a 1001 nights fairytale. Also i liked the location with an easy walk to the center of Dortmund.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The hotel per say is very nice, on ebtrance a grand staircase that is something to behold, the staff very attentive and speak English, if you give up trying to speak German, we booked on line and so the check in was painless, 30 seconds if that, not asked for credit card.
Breakfast is a supplement payable when/if you have it . 9 Euros per person.
The room was very nice, lovely and clean, queen size bed ,plazma tv, excellent power shower, fridge (empty) BUT no kettle, or tea/coffee and as one other reviewer has already mentioned very very warm with little or no ventilation, even though we had a window the scene was blocked off by plastic and so little air could get in. We took a fan with us, thanks to advice on this page and it was worth the effort.
Car parking is a premium they have a small underground carpark or you can park in and around the hotel but you must get a "parkausweis" parking ticket from the reception and be prepared to pay 12 euros a night for parking, there are other car parks around but we didnt use them so cant comment on price.
All in all not a bad stay, comfortable and quiet, but we were at the back of the hotel, the front could Im guessing be noisy as it is on the main ring road around the city.
lots of eating places nearby as you are a spit from city centre, and if i had a tip as you come out of the hotel turn right and cross the little road that leads up the side, there you will find an outside bar with a couple of benches and a servery, which sells local beer by the bottle of from the keg (vom Fass) 1euro/86p a bottle of pils or export very nice and very cheap !

Room Tip: ask for one at the back of the hotel, NOT over looking the main road. if of course you are given a choice
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here with a party of 11 people for our wedding. Although the hotel looked great and there were a lot of plus points, we were disappointed in many respects. Advantages of the hotel were as follows:

- convenient location
- English-speaking staff
- very well-laid out rooms, including jaccuzzi in the bathroom of the higher-priced rooms
- car park underneath the hotel
- friendly and competent cleaning staff
- spacious lobby and bar, which served cocktails

The above are only of limited help, though, under the circumstances we experienced. Granted, summer in Germany is rare and not usually over the 25 degree mark, but this summer it was over 30 degrees, often reaching 38. One might think that a four-star hotel would have air conditioning as standard, but no. It was impossible to escape the sweltering heat throughout the entire hotel. This - coupled with the blaring noise of sirens and drunken people on the ringroad on which the hotel is situated, which we might otherwise have heard less had we been able to close the windows - made it impossible to sleep properly.

While the reception staff spoke English and some of them were very kind and helpful, certain members of staff were anything but. One person had to be asked a number of times and told very insistently that we were neither liars nor idiots before being persuaded to look under her nose to find the greetings card that was waiting there for us (apparently, they don't file things under room number at the Unique, but rather by transfer protocol numbers, which had not been filled out correctly in this case). Common sense was just too much to ask.

In addition, when my then-fiancée (now wife :-) told the night porter that my mother's fridge wasn't working, he simply replied that fridges weren't standard in rooms anyway (there was one in all members of our party's rooms, though) and made no offer to have it repaired. The fact that the lights in front of the lifts in the second and fourth floors didn't work, rendering the lift area dark at night, promprted the response that nobody else had complained, as though the fact the we were complaining at that time didn't count.

On the day of the check-out, we had explicity booked a "late" (midday) check-out. We were awoken at 9am by my mother to be told that the night porter had informed her that this would cost an extra 10€ per room and that if we had a problem with that, we would need to speak to the manager. We went down at midday and no mention was made of this, but it again left a bad taste at the end of the stay, which is a huge shame considering the potential the hotel has.

I hope these points are addressed and the hotel turned into something fantastic, because it has real potential. At the moment, though, I simply can't recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid in the summer.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple