“Good food and Interesting beer”
Review of Braustelle

Braustelle
Ranked #318 of 2,591 Restaurants in Cologne
Cuisines: German, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Recently came to Braustelle for the first time with a group of 10 people on a Friday night. It was pretty busy, but they do take reservations. Food is typical German but has a very home cooked feel. The main reason we chose Braustelle was for the Beer. The selection is as diverse as you are likely to encounter in Cologne. If you are longing to try something a little different from Kölsch, it is worth making the trip. Service also seemed typical German. We were asked at one point to ensure we ordered drinks together so the waiter did not need to make as many trips to our table. The request was an unusual one, but it didn't distract us from enjoying the highlights of the evening: Beer, food and a cozy microbrewery which is worth checking out.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I always enjoy coming here. The food is always good (especially the bread), and prices are reasonable. The staff is friendly but the for me, the best part is the beer. There one of very few German pubs of Cologne that offer more than the generic koelsch and pils. Their homemade brews are delicious and they usually have offers of unique beers as well to try.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The place is nice, the staff is friendly, the prices are ok, they were even playing one of my favorite bands: Fabulosos Cadillacs, and the beer is really nice -specially the seasonal one (with elder flavour)- but I would give this place an average grade because of one detail: We order the "grill dish", it is a mixture of grilled pork and chicken with paprika and onions, it was supposed to be served with wedges and cabbage salad.
Taking out the fact that the meat was too fatty for my taste, the wedges were nowhere to be found, and when asked the staff, they answered with: "everything is mixed in the dish, so they have to be somewhere behind the chicken", but no...
At the end, the waiter offered to give us home made bread, which I thought was an offer instead of the wedged we missed, we accepted and ate the bread - btw it was really tasty - but at the end it appeared in our bill, and although it was not expensive, I didn't like the fact that they charge it, even when we didn't actually ask for it and it was an offer instead of the wedges we didn't get.
That's the reason for my average grade; maybe I'll come back to see if I get a better second impression.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been to Cologne for once and wanted a place with good beer and decent food, which is usually either this or that. However I was happy to found Braustelle.
The interior just it, like a place for locals. However this is a brewery and not a normal one for Germany with boring lagers, but they brew their own Imperial stouts and a lot more interesting stuff. Even Kolsh is tasty there (and I'd say nearly only there).
The food was very very good, not something fancy, but tasty and suitable for drinks. It also had disgusting names in German (made my colleagues laugh), which I really don't care. The place was overcrowded but the waiters were able to cope very well.
Must visit for true beer lovers.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I like the place: simple, friendly, local people, affordable tasty food and great home brewed beer (love their wheat beer).