“Is this a hidden gem?”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt-Süd
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Situated tucked down Marslistein just off the Neumarkt. A South African themed restaurant that had been recommended by a local resident and business colleague of a friend. It did not disappoint. Nothing extravagant nor particularly expensive but excellent quality, pleasant helpful service with English spoken [if required!] and a busy bustling atmosphere all evening we were there.

1  Thank Dja40

Reviewed November 22, 2011

They must have learned from earlier comments - our service was excellent. Can only agree with the food and atmosphere comments of other reviewers: highly recommendable.

Reviewed September 20, 2010

Finally made it to Bobotie a few weeks ago. The food was great. Nice variety on the menu, cozy atmosphere. Didn't have a bad experience with the service like some people here have said. We'll definitely go back.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

We were very excited as our hotel recommended the food at Bobotie. We needed an early dinner as we had an early morning flight. When we arrived at 6pm the place was empty. They gave us a table (without reservation) and we were impressed with the decor and atmosphere. We waited quite a while to order(20 minutes before we were approached initially after seating) thinking maybe we were a bit too early and they weren't prepared yet.

We ordered drinks, appetizers and main courses off the menu with no questions. Having traveled all over Europe and South America, we love food and try not to be the typical loud american tourist. Here, it didn't matter. It was obvious from the get go that our waiter did not appreciate our patronage. Which wasn't great but we didn't speak fluent German so we weren't offended, until it became uncomfortable and a tad too obvious. We had to ask several times for more drinks and even that came with sighs and huffs. It was obvious that we were not welcome.

Which was a shame because the food was AMAZING! My husband has the Springbok which was wonderfully prepared and not gamey at all. It was delicious! I had the Kingship and shrimp in a coconut curry sauce which was truly fantastic! We started with the samosas and the biltong. The meat somasas were great, the biltong, which my husband is a fan of normally, was just "ok" in his opinion. Overall, the meal was great.

The service however was so appalling and rude that I was disugusted. I know that it can be tough to wait on a tourist (having done so myself), but I have never in my life been treated as rudely as we were tonight. The waiter did nothing to make us feel welcome from the moment we walked in, yet seemed to great local customers much better. I will say that there was a female server who did not share this negativity and I wish we had sat in her section.

The way we were treated tonight overshadowed the food, which is a shame. The food was truly wonderful.

I would recommend this place to locals. I would not recommend this place for general tourists, especially tourists from the US.

1  Thank Angiebella
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Delightful place, creative decor and delicious cocktails. Flavorful food for those tired of sausages and pretzels. Highly recommended.