“Best steak...”

Cuisines: Argentinean, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt-Süd
Description: You immediately feel at home when you enter El Gaucho. A hearty welcome in a warm, country-style setting, a juicy steak, fresh salad, a good wine and friendly service - all this will make your stay in one of Cologne's most renowned restaurants not only pleasant, but an unforgettable occasion. The El Gaucho is the first and oldest Argentinian restaurant in Germany. For over 40 years El Gaucho has served its guests with genuine, Argentinian angus steaks, prepared on a central, open grill. Watch and enjoy the taste of these Argentinian specialties - just like gauchos in the pampas. El Gaucho not only stands for quality dining, but is also a part of authentic Argentinian culture in Germany.
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Nice casual argentinian steak restaurant where open fire grill gives nice flavour to steaks. Easy dining where the main incrediens, steak, has main role.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

2nd visit in 2 years, well worth it. Steaks are absolutely gorgeous, cooked exactly as you want. Booking desirabkle because it does get busy especially at exhibition times

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Took customers to Gauchos during a trade fair. Awful experience. Waiter was rude and bad-tempered. Took nearly an hour just to get a beer for my guests. When the steaks came (about 2 hours after we sat down), they were fine. Waiter said that he couldn't serve us because he was the only guy working downstairs. I thought 'this isn't my problem'. Then he asked for a tip ....

4  Thank Sami C
Reviewed May 28, 2012

While this was not the best steak I have ever eaten, the Champany Inn and Keane's in New York share that honour, this was certainly up there. Eating steak should be a luxury, an indulgence,not perfunctory and this place reminds you of that. After both my wife and I had a huge slab of perfectly cooked, soft fillet, accompanied by wonderful blue cheese sauce, chimichurri and copious amounts of Quilmes beer, we exited this lively, vibrant restaurant feeling suitably sated. tremendous!

1  Thank kenny m
Reviewed May 27, 2012

For sure top quality Argentinian meat. I try to avoid mean as much as I can, but if once in couple of months I allow myself to sin, this is the kind of meat that justifies it.
However place was busy when we came and took more than 50 minutes to get the dishes. waiter forgot stuff, also with the table next to us.
if you come in a busy time, have patience or don't go...