“Lovely food, great service!”
Review of maiBeck

maiBeck
Ranked #34 of 2,859 Restaurants in Cologne
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have been here for lunch and it was amazing.

The staff was very friendly and the sommelier Christian very competent.

We had the maibeck in 4 courses for an unbeliveable 50 euro per person, which is an absolute bargain for what was delivered. Each course really great and well balanced.

We also had a bottle of great natural wine. The wine card in general had a few good options for orange/natural wines.

We stayed there for about 2 hours and the pacing of the courses was perfect and our glasses never empty.

We are much looking forward to visit this restaurant again!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (343)

Reviewed July 13, 2019

We had two michelin star dinners on our stay in Cologne (the other one was Maximilian Lorenz) and couldn't be more different.
MaiBeck has a very limited menu but we didn't found that a problem because there are not many things we don't eat. Strange is that this place does not work with a fixed or tasting menu. The only menu choice is a 4 course surprise menu for 49 Euro wich is a bargon. We however went for the a la carte option with a 3 course menu. Food was very good and the service even better. Very friendly staff, specially Marcel ! All in all it went a bit quick for us but had a very good price/quality meal.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 28, 2019

We made a reservation for an anniversary meal and luckily managed to get in. We experienced a very pleasant and tasteful evening. Inside a contemporary and well balanced decor but more important; the friendliness of the restaurant team makes you feel very welcome and at ease. The food is well prepared, nicely presented and not over "worked". Nice and tasteful. Small choice on the menu, enough to find something for all. Not to fast nor to slow service and a less formal feeling than we have experienced in other Michelin star restaurants We certainly would return here when/if back in Cologne.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed June 23, 2019 via mobile

If you like to get smth instead of sausages, visit this place. High quality of food is guarantied. I tried starters and veal for the main course, tiramisu was good as well.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 13, 2019 via mobile

They got it perfect! Exceptional service and stunning food. There is a really relaxed feel to this place despite having a coveted star which immediately put my son and I at ease. Then came some delicious dark rye bread with salted butter. For starters I had herring with enoki mushrooms and white asparagus. My son had beautiful al sentence gnocchi with bouillabaisse. It’s not a massive wine list which I think is a good thing and my waiter recommended stunning wines that went perfectly with my food. I had medium rare salmon with cabbage, pear and a delicious side of potatoes also with cabbage and butter. Sublime. Served with a delicious glass of chilled Riesling. My son had sea bass with pancetta butter which was cooked perfectly. I was going to pass on dessert but along comes my amazing waiter and subtly suggests a tiramisu with a glass of Rivesaltes. Oh my god! That there was heaven in a bowl and glass. The rich dark coffee soaked biscuit with smooth creamy ricotta washed down with a glass of wine with complex fruit and then coffee notes - wow! My son had a rhubarb tart which he said was delicious whilst I was getting lost in my tiramisu and Rivesaltes. Around about €100 for a top, top food experience. Oh, nearly forgot, it’s right by the Rhine so great views too in between courses.

Date of visit: June 2019