“stay here if you can”

Hotel Friends Koeln
Ranked #121 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great hotel in the leafy suburbs of Cologne.
Very clean, very new, very quiet.
Slept so long we missed breakfast.
Internet wasn't working but we did without it for one night.
Stay here if you can !
It is good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ginovandevelde

Reviewed November 20, 2012

It is in a good position to reach the highway.
The breakfast is too expensive but nothing to complain about the food.
Unfortunatley there were hair in the sink. Same problem in my colleague's room
I suggest to go there only if you are traveling for business

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 11_marty
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Spent a few days at the Friends hotel, mainly because we were on a tight budget and it was pretty cheap. It is a little far from the city centre, but if you have a rental car (which we did), its ok. Wouldn’t stay here if we didn’t. Rooms are tiny, but clean. Hotel smells like smoke everywhere it seems. Staff were nice enough, but nothing over the top and they wouldn’t go out of their way for anything. Overall, would probably stay elsewhere if we returned.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Niamh G
Reviewed February 7, 2012

According to my experience, the hotel was quite good. My room was clean and bright. The shower room was too small but a person could fit in it. My parents' room was smelling like cigarette horribly!!!!!!! The breakfast was quite good. What i liked most about the hotel was the decoration, was really harmonic and relaxing. It was a long distance from the hotel to the city centre, which is a problem is you go on foot or by public transport, but if you go by car is not toooooo much.

Room Tip: If you are non smokers, of you are smokers but don't like a room smelling like ashtray just ask...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank flodelamaza
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because of a review that said the customer service was excellent, and please please stay here. I did, and the service was excellent.

The rooms are basic, but have a few nice touches to brighten them up a little. Having said that, for €59.00 per night I think they are a steal. Absolutely spotlessly clean, which is the most important thing for me. No tea making facilities in the room, but at this price I think you have no right to expect too many extras.

The staff were all without question really friendly, and made the stay more pleasant as nothing was too much trouble. The bar on the ground floor is really nicely laid out and very contemporary. Even with just a couple of people in there is still has a nice inviting atmosphere.

Food in the restaurant was very good, and again service excellent.

Overall I reckon this is the best 'value' hotel I have visited in over 20 years of business travel. Friendly, comfortable, welcoming and relaxed, with free internet and great service. It's a three star plus, and I reckon that is because of the rooms, because everything else for me is four star plus.

Room Tip: Don't go for the basic room options. They are fine and completely livable, but don't offer a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Usually I'm not the type of person who likes to ask the front desk for a room change.
At Friends Hotel, I had to change FIVE times until they got us a room that we could stay in.

Trouble was: Since my wife was pregnant, we had booked non-smoking and had the paperwork to prove it. Unfortunately, the hotel was not prepared.
The guy at the front desk gave us a room which was supposedly non-smoking. Only that there was a dirty ashtray on the table inside. He gave us another "non-smoking" room, which smelled like somebody had smoked inside with the windows closed.
The third room smelled of some cheap air-deodorant; except for the bedding, which smelled intensly of smoke. Non-smoking room no. 4 smelled o.k., but it was a single room, which might be romantic, but can also be unbearable if you're highly pregnant.
We were exhausted from hauling our luggage from room to room (the concierge didn't offer any help whatsoever), so we did not really care, that there was an ashtray in the last room as well. At least it was clean and smelled only of the above-mentioned cheap deodorant.
Stay there if you get a great rate, need to stay right next to Bayer in Leverkusen (it's next door) or like to smoke in your room. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zeitungsfuzzi
Reviewed March 5, 2009

We stayed for a couple of days in this hotel. It is a good hotel if you have a car. It is about 8km from the Dom. The good point is that the parking is free (in the center is about 18 euros per period!!!). So you can visit the center (and then use the parking lot) for a small amount. The staf is very friendly, and we have free internet access. I certainly recomend this hotel if the person is travelling by car.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple