“Pretty darn good!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Pretty darn good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed a whole week here while on business. Its a nice place! Friendly staff, clean rooms, good breakfast, nice bar - and close to the autobahn. Why would you look for anywhere else? The only grouse I have is that they put the barriers down in the parking lot, presumably to charge money. Lucky for me I drive a 4x4 Land Rover and drove over the grass verge to avoid the barrier. Way-hayyyyy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MvC_9, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for the nice comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cologne Mülheim.

It is pleasure to hear that your stay was as you expected it.

I will pass your comments to my team.

I am looking forward to welcome you back.

Mark van Coppenolle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I paid €160 per night for this hotel, while fair price would have been probably half of this. At a price below €80 per night I would have given it 3 points out of 5, at the price I paid it's just a rip-off.

This is a budget, no frills hotel, somewhere between Accor's Etap and Ibis range. I chose it because it was just off the motorway. It's fine for a short one-nighter but I would not want to stay there longer. My room was overlooking a busy road so I had to sleep with a closed window. There was no hairdryer in the bathroom. There was no restaurant in the hotel, I had to eat dinner in a McDonald's next door. Breakfast was very basic. The one positive was fast (wired) internet, which was however paid extra. There is parking space in front of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MvC_9, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Williamek,

first of all I would like to apologize for the late reaction on your comments regarding your stay with us and for having taken the time to share your thought with us.

I can assure you that the rate you have paid at the time of your stay was fair. Unfortunately there was a big exhibition in the city and this impacted the rates in the market.

Our rates outside of fair period / events are very competitive.

Thank you very much for your understanding and feel free to contact me in case you would need some more information regarding our rates.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Choose the hotel as stop over from UK to north of Germany. The hotel offered everything we needed without any extra wow -The hotel situated just outside main town, great for visiting Cologne; The hotel's lounge offered free internet which is a big bonus; The hotel has limited car parking; front desk staff is efficient without a smile; room is clean and bed is comfortable. Overall, the hotel served our purpose for our one night stay.

Stayed August 2012
MvC_9, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you very much for having taken the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cologne Mülheim.

I am happy that you were overall satisfied with your stay and your remark concerning the staff has been discussed internally.

Your comment is helping us to further improve our service.

Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We've stayed at a few Holiday Inn Expresses and have come to the conclusion that they definitely are identical wherever you go in Europe!

We stayed here for one night on route to Frankfurt and it was ideally placed just off the autobahn. Luckily we got one of the free parking spots (not that many available) so can't comment on the pay facility (it is right next to the front of the hotel).

The room and facilities were as per previous stays i.e. similar size with the same level of cleanliness and comfort. The bar and breakfast area was pleasant enough and the breakfast itself was a typical German buffet (worth paying for a coffee at the McCafe next door though!)

A few reviewers have questioned the area but personally I didn't feel unsafe at any point, even during the walk to the tram stop to get into central Koln. I would say it is around a 10-15 minute walk with young children and it is very difficult to go wrong (turn left out of the hotel entrance, immediate left down the street next to the hotel and then left at the T junction at the end)

Be aware that the trams only take coins so if there are a few of you, you need to prepare! I recommend getting off the tram at the Koeln-Messe stop and then walking over the rail bridge to the centre (the one with all the padlocks!)

Overall, this hotel was just what we wanted for our length of stay and reason for staying. If I was on a long weekend break to Koln, I'd probably stay more central but if you're on a budget then this hotel is perfectly fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stanleytic
MvC_9, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the Time to comment on your Stay with us.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Best regards

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel to be near to relatives. The hotel was clean, but rooms were extremely small. I truly mean that they were extremely small. The room we shared as 3 adults would probably qualify for a single in most hotels in the States. Breakfast was very nice. WiFi was problematic which stressed my husband a bit since he needs to be connected to his business 24/7.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank creativetraveler
MvC_9, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you very much that you have taken the time to share your thoughts from your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cologne Mülheim.

the size of our rooms are conform to the IHG standards and conform to a 3 star hotel.

In regards to the Internet speed I can tell you that we have resolved the problem, unfortunately we were not able to fix the problem at the time you were our guest.

Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back in the near future or whenever you are back in Cologne.

Germany/UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is just off the autobahn and very convenient for business travellers. It is also very convenient for coach parties so you might find a busload of tourists in the breakfast room at 6:45 a.m. when you had thought you would have had it more or less to yourself. Luckily, the breakfast room is large and when I was there the staff did a good job of clearing away the dirty dishes and replenishing stocks. LAN is rather expensive but there is free internet in the lobby. The large car park costs 5 EUR per night which is OK.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ian2109
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for the nice comments in regard of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cologne Mülheim.

your comments are motivating us a lot.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Savona, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

This Holiday Inn was suggested by one of my colleagues, it is actually nicely located between the city center and where my business is.
I'd say it is exactly what you expect from a Holiday Inn Express: clean, standard rooms, everything working properly, good breakfast, balanced price.
I must mention it's a very quite hotel.
Only point is that I had to pay for the car parking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank your for your nice comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cologne Mülheim.

It is pleasure to hear that our service did meet your expectations and indeed we are charging a parking fee of 5 Euro per night which is a very moderate price when you compare it to public parking fee in the neighbourhood.

thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.