“Great Value for Money”
Review of Brandenburger Hof

Brandenburger Hof
Ranked #72 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Great hotel with very friendly staff who speak excellent English. We stayed 2 nights. Rooms very adequate with good en suite and very clean. Breakfast fantastic choice and eat as much as you like. Quiet location but only 5 minutes walk from station and Dom cathedral. Easy location to visit all 6 Christmas Markets which were fabulous. Had a thoroughly lovely time in Cologne and would recommend this hotel as excellent value for money. Reception is manned with electric front door opener which does bang when opened but all was quiet by 11.30pm

Room Tip: Room 9 was at front of hotel with en suite with twin beds
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We accidentally found ourselves here at 1am after our hotel overbooked and sent us here. We were unimpressed with the original place but received only friendly and understanding help and a very warm welcome. The rooms are relatively roomy, the beds very comfortable and the breakfast is fantastic. We were there for the Christmas markets which are less than 10mins walk away for those at the Dom. From a frustrating beginning I have no qualms recommending this hotel for families or couples.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Sarah-in-the-world
Reviewed November 30, 2012

At checking-in I had to realize that I made a mistake and that I made a reservation for the night before, so that I got a no-show-payment on my credit card with my booking agency. After calling the owner the receptionist gave me their last room, which was a very nice room and I had a good night rest. When I went for breakfast the next morning I asked at the reception for the lady owner and she informed that a mistake can happen to everybody and that beside the no-show-payment they already received I do not have to pay anything more.
So I was very happy that everything worked out so well and without any trouble. She made my day!
Thank you to the Brandenburger Hof a very friendly family run business conveniently located in a quiet (and totally safe) street next to Cologne`s Central Station.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We found this hotel a little difficult to find but if you walk out the back of the station and head towards the Marriott you will find the street.
I was a bit disappointed when we walked down the street as it didn't look like a very nice area, however there was no problem with noise at night and we never felt unsafe. The hotel was lovely and although we arrived early we were allowed to check in. We chose a room on the first floor even though it was difficult to carry our suitcases up the stairs, as it was a bit bigger than the one on the ground floor.
The room was not large but was adequate and very comfortable. Breakfast was wonderful. The room was attractive and food plentiful. There was no hot food except a boiled egg but with everything else on offer we didn't miss it at all.
We are an older couple who have stayed in a lot of hotels and look for cleanliness and fair value.
This was a lovely small hotel and I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank funtimes0652
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Brandenburger Hof is ideally placed within a few minutes walk the main railway station. It is also among the cheapest in the area on Trip Advisor. A very friendly welcome greeted us and although we arrived about 10am, they arranged for a room to be ready for us in about 5 minutes. We were on the 1st floor. There’s no lift and lugging the 2 heavy bags up the narrow staircase was a battle. Room 7 was okay with 2 single beds foot-to-foot. The bathroom was large and modern. The room was very clean and the window overlooked a small back garden and patio.
The beds were comfortable and I chose a small, firm pillow to sleep with.
The place is quiet except when other guests arrive and leave. The banging of doors can go on from 0615 and then in the evening. The doors have to be pulled shut and this causes a bang. With a smear of Vaseline on the bolt and striker plate this noise can be almost eliminated. Felt pads on the door frame would also cut down the noise. Room 7 is next to a communal shower so there was some additional noise from that. Apart from those the place is totally silent at nite.
WiFi – this was my biggest problem. The signal strength is fine, but it kept dropping out then re-connecting. This was infuriating when trying to book trains and hotels. I would get halfway through and the signal would fail and I would have to re-enter all the data. When it happens the fifth time the patience has worn very thin. I told reception who seemed as mystified as I was. The dropouts recurred throughout the day – early morning through to the evening. Very frustrating!
Breakfast is first rate with a huge spread. The normal choices are offered with an excellent variety.
Positives: location, price ad service.
Negatives: Very poor WiFi.
Would I stay again? Yes, but in a ground floor room and only if they improve the WiFi reception.

Room Tip: No lift - so ask for a ground floor room if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BL1947
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This little hotel, besides being in an excellent location in Cologne, close to the Col Dom and the train station, has a very nice price, a delicious breakfast included in the room rate and free parking place for your car.
The family who runs the hotel is very nice and speaks english fluently, giving tips of what to do and where to go.
I hope be able to come back soon to Cologne, and I would stay there again without any doubt!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eduardo R
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was nice and clean. There was no phone in the room which was a little disappointing but we made do. Staff was friendly. Great breakfast in the morning. Was a little loud from outside traffic with the windows open.

• Stayed: September 2012