“Extremely forgetful service...”

Ranked #221 of 2,510 Restaurants in Cologne
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Being two travelling veggies we were happy to find a veggie restaurant quite close to the centre of Cologne. On arrival the place smelt lovely of various veggie aromas and we ordered feeling confident that our meals would be delicious. We watched as food was served to all the other tables around us...we then noticed that those other tables (including many that had arrived after us) had received starters, mains and were settling the bill and were yet to receive a starter. When we asked where our food was we were told "5 minutes". Ten later our starter arrived (which maybe took five mins to cook). Nice enough. One main course then arrived whilst still eaTing the starter...the other never arrived as it was obvious that the waiter had forgotten to send our order to the kitchen and we decided to leave. Nice place if you have plenty of time and keep tracks on the waiter! We ended up going to a FAB italian in the Altmarkt where the servicewas typically Italian - super Friendly, fast and great food in a lovely setting (and veggie friendly!)

Reviewed July 9, 2012

So I was craving something beyond the meats of Germany. Having been Vegetarian and Vegan at different times in my life, I was curious what a Vegan/Veggie restaurant was like in Cologne. I believe this is the ONLY true Vegan/Vegetarian haven in Cologne outside of Bio grocery stores and food marts.

What a FIND! Food is excellent. No, it isn't the Millenium of San Francisco or other high tone Vegan places. Still, it is outstanding for the inventive menu of Asian inspired dishes. Highly suggest you try the Vegan 'Duck'. How they make it taste so amazing and meat like is beyond me. No nonsese seating and atmosphere lends a minimalist approach. The drinks are primarily bio, non alcoholic and match well with the food. Keep in mind it is Asian by nature so expect lots of stir-fry and sauces.

Like other reviewers, if you didn't know where you were looking, you would miss the inconspicuous door and slight step down. It's worth the find. We walked around the block twice and called the restaurant to confirm location. Once found, you'll wonder how you could have missed it!

Well worth the venture. Enjoy the food.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Intro

I am a carnivore. My girlfriend is vegetarian. She's very uncomplicated and we're no arguing about our preferences for food. However, living in Paris, usually we are ending up in a "normal" restaurant, where 80-90% of all dishes on the menu are for us meat-lovers. Being in Cologne I wanted to use the opportunity to put myself into her shoes and give her the chance to get food from someone who's specialized into vegetarian food: Well Being.

The Restaurant

Well Being is located in a trendy and lively area of Cologne close to the subway station at Zulpicher Platz. When we went there for lunch the place was nearly empty, only one other table was in use. Rooms filled with light, a clean and tranquil (sober?) atmosphere. Simple wooden tables, chairs with (fake) leather, some cute details like anti-fur flyers.

Since the place was so empty some music would have helped to improve the atmosphere a bit.

Our waitress was super friendly and fast. She didn't have a lot of work with us, but what she did, she did well and with a smile. She switched between German (for me) and English (for my girlfriend).

Food and Drinks

I ordered deep fried tofu with sweet-sour pineapple sauce. My girlfriend ordered a curry. Both dishes arrived with rice as a side, the vegetables used in both were fresh, al dente and very tasty. I was very happy with my deep fried tofu, an idea I will definitely pick up when we are back at home. This being said, the sauce of my dish was pretty generic, it didn't have a sweet-sour taste and there was not a lot of pineapple which is a shame. My girlfriend was really happy with her curry (with fake meat).

Summary

Solid food, friendly service, very good value for money. If you are vegetarian and you're sick of having to select between 2-3 dishes at a restaurant, give Well Being a try - especially if you like Chinese/Thai cuisine.

I would go back - if only for my girlfriend and for the very low price point.

1  Thank Fronkenst3in
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I reached a nearby Metro station to reach this restaurant. I got confused by the directions, and I called up the restaurant. They explained to me very clearly the direction, and even after I reached the restaurant, and ordered my food, the lady called me back, asking whether I had reached the place or not, knowing little that I was the one who had entered the restaurant a few minutes ago. This just shows the extreme care the staff has for not just a customer, but only a potential customer. The food was good and tasty, with fresh ingredients. The menu too is pretty unique, and their veggie chicken tastes very good. They use organic ingredients in their food, and yes, the place itself has homely feel to it, although the service in all ways was extremely professional. The location too is very close to the Rudolfplatz Metro/Bus station, so very easy to reach. All in all, an unforgettable vegetarian experience indeed !! A must go !!

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Trying to stop eating meat isn't easy for someone who used to be a carnivore. I have my ups and downs.
Well being really gave me hope. Very nice staff, friendly and smiling. Food was good all the way. Saigon curry with vegeterian chicken was a great positive surprize.