“Great Convenient Location and Great Prices for Rooms”

CityClass Hotel Europa am Dom
Ranked #39 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Great Convenient Location and Great Prices for Rooms”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed in this hotel in March 2014 and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is located close to the Dom (Cathedral), close to the River Rhein (5 minutes walk), near the Cologne main train station, and hotel is surrounded by many shops, restaurants, pubs and cafes. The location is very convenient for us as we don't want to waste time.

Our double room and bathroom was spacious and clean. The room came with large flat screen TV (mostly German channels, unfortunately!), small fridge, couch, writing table and chair, coffee table, and off course, 2-twin beds made into a double bed (this is common here!). The staffs were friendly and helpful. The price for 3 nights were very reasonable. We didn't take the breakfast as we wanted to eat outside, but they have a nice eating area overlooking the Dom. They also have a bar with alcoholic drinks (in case someone wants a night cap). Security-wise, you will get an electronic key that activates the elevator to your floor and your room. The only complain we had was the soft pillows on the beds. But we used the throw pillows from the couch for extra comfort.

We really enjoyed this hotel and we will definitely stay here again when we visit Cologne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helenz M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ireland
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in January, it was a very enjoyable experience. The hotel is reasonably priced, it has friendly helpful staff. Rooms are lovely, beds very comfortable. There is an excellent breakfast buffet with a huge variety on offer.

I am really looking forward to paying a return visit, I can't recommend it highly enough

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank magpie033
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, just repaired with attentive staff, delicious and big breakfast (only 8 Euro), cozy small rooms. Suits for business travel and sightseeing. Located very close to the main railway station, right next to the old Church.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

A superb location and superb price! Lovely and clean and comfortable with an excellent breakfast buffet and the opportunity to order food (Italian) if you wished, but why anyone would I do not know, when it is located about 4 doors from the Frueh Brewery and with many other eateries around. Close to the railway (not so close that you can hear the trains) and in a very safe feeling area. Lovely to find gummi sheep on the pillow!!!
Parking is an issue; no response to an email sent asking about parking, we were advised on arrival to park at the Heumarkt which, although geographically close took 45 minutes to reach when taking the car there and was eventually only 3 euros a day cheaper than the car-park literally around the corner! Staff were generally very friendly and helpful - particularly those who were on the afternoon/evening shift when we were there, they were very lovely and very helpful.
My only concern, was that one day when I went to breakfast, I arrived back at my room to find my room unlocked (it was an electronic key system) which I had assumed was an electronic error, when I discovered later in the day that my purse was missing 30 euros the afternoon/evening staff were extremely helpful but advised me to speak to the manager in the morning when I checked out - not such a helpful response from them the following morning (your purse should've been in the safe - yes, but the room should have locked automatically?) and I am still waiting for the email to let me know their findings from 'watching the cctv in the corridor' (which I didn't see was there) - disappointing that there has been no response thus far and I suspect that any response would say 'the cctv did not show anything unusual'.
However, that aside (I have pretty much forgotten about it), I will most certainly stay in the hotel again as everything else about it was brilliant :-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S H
Essex
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Our 3rd visit to the CityClass Europa an our 3rd really enjoyable experience. Our email request for a room preference was met, enabling a superb view of the Dom. Arrived early and had luggage cases were stored promptly and securely. Reception staff are friendly, professional and speak impeccable English. Location is spot-on for the Dom, the Old Town, the river, bars/restaurants and the main shopping areas. Can’t really fault the place (or Cologne and it’s friendly people).

We were there over New Year and thoroughly enjoyed the way it was celebrated. So different to home and if you keep your wits about you it's fine. Much better than watching an organised event where you ared herded around like sheep.

Room Tip: A view of the Dom at night is spectacular.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clifftours_7
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel is very nicely located just the back of Cologne Dom.
Easy reachable to Cologne central station and main shopping street too.
Because of the exhibition, almost all hotels in Cologne increase the room rate sky high.
And this hotel is the same.
I can not fairly judge if this hotel charge the normal rate but because of the very high rate, I have to be very critical this time.
I paid more than 400 euro and stayed 6 nights this time...... but the single room was exreamly small and you can not open big suit case.
The hotel entrance has 7 to 10 steps up and it make us very unconfortable to bring big lugguages and this is not at all friendly for handicapped person.

If there is no exhibition, the room rate may be drop down by 1/5, then you have diffrent score but if they charge 5 times more and it nothong worth for this level of service and hotel facility.
Only the location was fantastic.

Room Tip: Is there any good room there ?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I had a single room, and I loved it; for a traveler that will spend minimum time in the hotel, it's perfect. The service is at the level, and the hotel looks new. Breakfast is only 8 euro, but various and delicious. Free Wi-Fi is only for 20 minutes a day, but u can ask for more. Location is right close to the Church, shopping street and dining area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business