“Nicely located, cool and cozy”

CityClass Hotel Europa am Dom
Ranked #43 of 260 Hotels in Cologne
Brno, Czech Republic
“Nicely located, cool and cozy”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, just repaired with attentive staff, delicious and big breakfast (only 8 Euro), cozy small rooms. Suits for business travel and sightseeing. Located very close to the main railway station, right next to the old Church.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

A superb location and superb price! Lovely and clean and comfortable with an excellent breakfast buffet and the opportunity to order food (Italian) if you wished, but why anyone would I do not know, when it is located about 4 doors from the Frueh Brewery and with many other eateries around. Close to the railway (not so close that you can hear the trains) and in a very safe feeling area. Lovely to find gummi sheep on the pillow!!!
Parking is an issue; no response to an email sent asking about parking, we were advised on arrival to park at the Heumarkt which, although geographically close took 45 minutes to reach when taking the car there and was eventually only 3 euros a day cheaper than the car-park literally around the corner! Staff were generally very friendly and helpful - particularly those who were on the afternoon/evening shift when we were there, they were very lovely and very helpful.
My only concern, was that one day when I went to breakfast, I arrived back at my room to find my room unlocked (it was an electronic key system) which I had assumed was an electronic error, when I discovered later in the day that my purse was missing 30 euros the afternoon/evening staff were extremely helpful but advised me to speak to the manager in the morning when I checked out - not such a helpful response from them the following morning (your purse should've been in the safe - yes, but the room should have locked automatically?) and I am still waiting for the email to let me know their findings from 'watching the cctv in the corridor' (which I didn't see was there) - disappointing that there has been no response thus far and I suspect that any response would say 'the cctv did not show anything unusual'.
However, that aside (I have pretty much forgotten about it), I will most certainly stay in the hotel again as everything else about it was brilliant :-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S H
Essex
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Our 3rd visit to the CityClass Europa an our 3rd really enjoyable experience. Our email request for a room preference was met, enabling a superb view of the Dom. Arrived early and had luggage cases were stored promptly and securely. Reception staff are friendly, professional and speak impeccable English. Location is spot-on for the Dom, the Old Town, the river, bars/restaurants and the main shopping areas. Can’t really fault the place (or Cologne and it’s friendly people).

We were there over New Year and thoroughly enjoyed the way it was celebrated. So different to home and if you keep your wits about you it's fine. Much better than watching an organised event where you ared herded around like sheep.

Room Tip: A view of the Dom at night is spectacular.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clifftours_7
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel is very nicely located just the back of Cologne Dom.
Easy reachable to Cologne central station and main shopping street too.
Because of the exhibition, almost all hotels in Cologne increase the room rate sky high.
And this hotel is the same.
I can not fairly judge if this hotel charge the normal rate but because of the very high rate, I have to be very critical this time.
I paid more than 400 euro and stayed 6 nights this time...... but the single room was exreamly small and you can not open big suit case.
The hotel entrance has 7 to 10 steps up and it make us very unconfortable to bring big lugguages and this is not at all friendly for handicapped person.

If there is no exhibition, the room rate may be drop down by 1/5, then you have diffrent score but if they charge 5 times more and it nothong worth for this level of service and hotel facility.
Only the location was fantastic.

Room Tip: Is there any good room there ?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I had a single room, and I loved it; for a traveler that will spend minimum time in the hotel, it's perfect. The service is at the level, and the hotel looks new. Breakfast is only 8 euro, but various and delicious. Free Wi-Fi is only for 20 minutes a day, but u can ask for more. Location is right close to the Church, shopping street and dining area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for a total of 3 nights.

When checking in my wife went to the entrance with the luggages and no one helped her with her bags as I went to park the car. We called and asking about parking month in advance and they said yes that they have parking. When getting there they failed to mention that the parking is more than a 10 min walk back to the hostel. When I would not find the parking the first time and went back to reception the only thing they could say was it was very easy and did not know why I would not find it and "lots of other guest found it fine today." When going back to to find it I stoped at another hotel and the guys explained where it was. There was only one PC in reception for WIFI. Every day when leaving or coming home reception would just look and say nothing. This was with everyone that worked there. If it was not for the location we would have changed hotels after the first rude treatment but after driving there more than 4 hrs we could not be bothered to look for something else. The room was clean and modern but this did not make up for mad customer service.

Room Tip: As for a room aways from the elevator as there are room right next to the stairs and elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rhend0618
Garden Grove, CA
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel was very nice and clean and the wifi worked perfect. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The only issue I had was carrying my bags up the stairs to the hotel as they don’t provide a ramp for luggage. Other than that, we were in view of the Dom, nice restaurants and shopping. We also walked down the Rhine to the Chocolate Factory. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Any room would be nice at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends