“Lots of regrets !”

Ranked #34 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Western Ireland, Ireland
“Lots of regrets !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I would have grave reservations about recommending this hotel. Whilst we stayed there one part of the hotel went on fire. 4 hours spent in a car park ensued. What happened next was total chaos. As Clients we were treated with contempt for even daring to ask for updates. We left this property after a 4 night stay none the wiser as to what had happened. Save for a rather pleasant bar person who seemed think the sauna had caught fire during the night . I should highlight at this stage that he was the ONLY employee who actually spoke with clients. Did management write us even a simple note to thank us for our patience?? NO. Such a pity as the hotel itself is quite splendid(when not on fire) and the location is good.

Room Tip: Best Tip - - DO not stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Caroline658662
16patrice, Guest Relations Manager at Dorint An der Messe Koln, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear guest,

we did have a hotel fire/Emergency situation on Friday September 27th at 9 a.m. and were told by the fire department to evacuate the hotel.

The entire hotel staff, the fire department, and the police department were outside with the guests that chose not to go into the neighbor hotel, and were constantly informing the quests about the situation with new information that we may have.

No one was told that they had to wait outside, but for the guests that chose to wait were given food and beverages by our service team, and if you had any concrete questions or concerns, you could have also used this opportunity as well to ask any questions or tell us your concerns.

Early afternoon everyone who chose to wait, were let back into the hotel, and the reception desk was functioning as normal, and that 24 hours a day. If you had at any other point and time any concerns or questions, they had all of the information for you as well.

Of course for both sides this was not the most comfortable situation. On this day the top priority was the safety of our guests and hotel staff. Because of the evacuation we were able to assure that no one would get harmed because of this matter.

For the guests that chose to stand and wait outside, the general manager of the hotel made a speech in German as well as English with a megaphone also informing the guests of the current situation and thanking them for their patience and cooperation.

If you still have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact the hotel at any time.
Best regards Yours Dorint Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We decided to stay here as it was directly across the road from Gamescom and seemed to have good reviews from other patrons.

We had never been to Germany before, we don't speak German and hoped that because the convention across the road was an international event that the staff would speak good English.

We arrived at 11am and although check in was officially 3pm, they managed to get us a lovely non-smoking quiet room which we were grateful for after a day's travelling. The room was decent, but we were unable to figure out how to use the coffee machine to make hot chocolate. I'm assuming that the coffee machine could do this as there was no kettle.

There were a lot of brochures on services the hotel offered and things to do in Cologne but again, these were all in German so we could have been missing out on a lot. The TV channels were mostly in Germany, some in Russian and one TV channel (BBC News 24) in English which was a bit of a let down as we wanted to chill out and watch some TV but couldn't understand it.

The wifi was also 7 Euro for 24 hours use per device. I had been in cheaper hotels before that had free wifi.

The breakfast buffet was good & varied, the bar had a nice selection of reasonably priced snacks but the Dux restaurant had very unattentive staff. We walked in and weren't sure if we had to be seated or if we had to just find a seat. After a few minutes, we were given a menu. The couple next to us who were German seemed to be served quicker and were given much better service than us as we weren't even asked if we needed anything further. They kept forgetting to give my boyfriend vodka in his coke and kept giving him bottles of coke instead. I didn't know if this was just a strange drink in this country as when he asked them to put vodka in it, he was met with blank stares. Also, a ninety odd euro bill at the end of it made us feel as if we had been fleeced.

All in all, it was a nice place to rest my head (in our single beds pushed together) but not really where I'd like to stay again. I felt quite ashamed of myself that I had gone to a country where I didn't speak the language, especially when us Brits are so quick to judge others who come here and can't speak the native tongue.

The hotel had ordered us a taxi (it was a black merc, windows were blacked out and didn't look like a taxi at all) that raced us to the airport on the way home and charged almost ten euro more than the airport taxi. I would maybe advise not to ask them to order you one in case they rip you off.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

There are two positive points in this hotel: 1- it is exactly in front of the entrance of the Köln Messe 2 - the buffet breakfast is pretty good with a nice selection of food. To be honest, I chose it only because I needed a place to stay, as nearest as possible to the Messe.
The rooms are OK, furnitures and walls are a wee bit tired (in my room there was a stained chair, some signs on the walls and on the door), but the bathroom was clean. If you need to wash your hair, bring your own shampoo/balsam ect...as you will only find a "do it all" shower gel :-)
The employees were very nice and professional however, overall I wouldn't rate this hotel as a 4 stars and it definitely doesn't justify the high room rate (over 100€ per night for a double including breakfast). By the way, if you want to use wi-fi yes, you have to pay extra.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kyukkien
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have stayed at the Dorint many times in the past for business reasons.
It is a good hotel with relatively small but clean and quite rooms.
The breakfast buffet is great, the bar at the reception lounge is a smoking one (good surprise!) and the restaurant has nice foods selection and good beer.
Little bit out of downtown but you can easily walk to the nearest train station (10 minutes).
Good and not an expensive choice for business trips.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

One might generally only stay here to attend an event at the Messe Trade area across the road, for which supply an demand might justify a high price; but there was no such event during my recent stay but the room rates were still high at Eur 140 (incl breakfast). Hotel is clean and modern; breakfast buffet has was good. Hotel restaurant Dux had broad choice of dishes and was reasonably priced - Eur 15-25 for main courses. .

Room Tip: Hotel layout is like a polo mint - circular with a hole in the middle. Outer rooms near to the elev...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel has one draw card - it is across the road from the Koln Messe Trade area - I was working at Interzum this year and my company booked me into this hotel.
The best that I can summarise is that it is perfect for non budget conscious business travellers - I would not book here if I was travelling for pleasure.

I don't think it was worth the EUR200 per night (including breakfast) that I paid.
There is nothing wrong with the facilities - but there is nothing special or unique about this hotel. The central aircon system was not working in my room (I did not complain about it - I merely opened the window) and the fact that at this rate per night you still have to pay for your WIFI (EUR3.50/1hr).I stayed at Dom Spitzen hotel in Cologne the night before at a third of the price and got free WIFI.

If you do not eat at the hotel, which was very pricey, you have to walk a reasonable distance to find some alternatives.

My suggestion - take the train from Koln Messe to Koln HBF and stay in one of the city hotels - more options and makes you feel like you are actually in Cologne.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Another two night business stay, but from arrival to departure, the hotel and staff were spot on. The staff were always helpful and not over powering. The hotel was clean and I did ask for a quiet room but it seamed all were quiet. We didn't eat at the hotel but the breakfast Buffett was the best I have ever seen.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business