“Best Steak in Germany”
Review of El Chango

El Chango
Ranked #38 of 2,385 Restaurants in Cologne
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
“Best Steak in Germany”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling to Germany for a few years now and I have eaten beef here on a number of occasions. I have always been disapointed in the quality of the beef here. Coming from the USA I have pretty high standards when it comes to a good steak. I will tell you if you like filet steak you will not be disappointed. The stake had a nice char on it and was very tender and juicy in the middle (and I ordered it medium). The cost was 25 euro which I though was resonable. The atmosphere is relaxed with nice Argentinian decorand the service was very good. I hope you try this place and have a great experience too. -yroder

Visited September 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Family vote that it was the best meal of our travels in Germany!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On our one night stop in Cologne during our driving trip through southern Germany, we decided to try something a little different for dinner and chose El Chango based on TripAdvisor reviews. The restaurant is located down a quiet street and might be easy to miss. Make reservations, it is a very small restaurant. The margarita I ordered was very small but very delicious. My husband had the sangria, which was really good, and I don't usually like sangria. My oldest teen is a filet connoisseur and said his filet with a side of green pepper sauce was one of the best he has ever had (and he has eaten a lot of filets!). My youngest teen choose the Natalia salad and enjoyed it, but I think he wished he would have ordered a filet, as well! I had a filet with gorgonzola sauce which was to die for! I don't remember my husband's main meal, but he also ordered the corn on the cob and loved it. We were quite full when we were done, but we had to order the flambéed banana with vanilla ice cream and cinnamon. It was amazing! I don't give out 5 stars often, but El Chango absolutely earned 5 stars, and my family will completely back me up on this one!

• Visited July 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Very nice restaurant”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Teh food and service were amazing... it was my first time at this place. They had "Bife de Chorizo" (at least very close to the real one!!) chorizos were nice.. they need to have more side dishes such a "papas fritas", "spinach and cream" "Garlic Mushroom" and REAL CHIMICHURRI... they only had the hot sauce. Steaks, Chorizo and stekas were amazing!!

Visited May 2013
“Bife de lomo - Ottimo”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was a few days in Cologne, but a place like this is so exceptional that I went back more than once.
The meat is good, so good and tender.
The prices are mediumo-high, but definitely worth it. I experienced the kitchen is open until 23.
In addition to the quality of the courses, the friendliness of the people we found make a difference compared to other places in which I have been hosted.

• Visited April 2013
Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
“Best meal of my 3 day Cologne-Karneval 2013 trip!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The place was suggested by a colleague who lives near Cologne and we decided to try it ..n it turned out to be the best thing we did to ourselves on a cold n windy Sunday noon! It's a nice cozy place with wooden decor, was specially decorated for the carnival week which made it appear even livelier and colourful...not exactly an inexpensive place...but my friend and me enjoyed the Lamb chops and Beef steak we ordered while sipping on Cologne special kölsh beer and Red wine.. it also turned out to be a perfect place to watch from our window seats, the groups of people in costumes walking past the restaurant while parading through the city - while we stayed warm inside! :) Not a surprise then that we ordered some more wine and were informed it was closing time already (at 2pm)..the lady serving us thankfully still let us have a glass each though it meant that she had to stay back 15-20 minutes past her break time..truly appreciated! :) Great experience and totally recommended!

• Visited February 2013