“Good location.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #151 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Singapore
“Good location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

As other reviewers had pointed out, this hotel has a great location - just a few minutes' walk from the HBF. The breakfast was decent, and the room I stayed in was clean. The hotel is in a safe area and the best part is that it is on a parallel street to the main shopping belt, so you have easy access to shops while retaining the opportunity to return to a quiet hotel. However, I stayed in a room that overlooked the air-conditioning unit of the building next door, which was really noisy if I left the window open. So if you are going to stay here, ask for a room facing the main street - it'll probably be quiet at night.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Portugal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was looking for a very central place in Cologne/Köln for a two night stay. This means that I was not expecting the best in comfort from the hotel that I would be choosing but I did want it to be very central. Well, the hotel is very central and at least that was right in the reviews and map! it is a short 5 minute walk to central station and 2 minutes from the Dom (amazing cathedral!). However, even if it is just a 3 star hotel, I would expect it to be MUCH better. I stayed in room 417 and it was small, worn out, stuffy warm, and I always awoke to the strong smell of fried bacon (it was definitely from the kitchen but I do not know if it came from the outside chimneys or if the smell just traveled up the staircase). Breakfast is not bad but the attending staff should just find another type of job!

Before deciding to rate this as "terrible" I still contemplated just giving it a rate of "poor" because I think one or two of the reception personnel were quite polite and had a good sense of humor. However, after looking at other 3 star hotels that are just as central as this one (ex. Eden Hotel that seems to be a lot better but do note that I cannot confirm this since I have never stayed there but I did see it from the outside) I would not be providing any type of guidance to other Tripadvisor users if I did rate it any better. So, the plain truth is that I have stayed in other bad hotels in the past and Koeninshof Top Hotel is another one of those hotels I will most likely never stay at again. Pitty because the location is in fact... excellent!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms ending in "17" since they are probably the worst in the hotel. Have a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Biscas

Travelers are raving about these Cologne hotels

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in this hotel during a weekend city break. This is a 3 star hotel, so bear this in mind.

Positives:
1. One minutes walk to the Dom, or Cafe Reichard, or Brauhaus Frueh. Three minutes on foot from the main station. It can't get more central.
2. Clean tidy rooms with comfortable beds.
3. Friendly helpful staff.
4. Good German hotel breakfast, available for several hours. (6.30-11am I think).

Negatives:
1. Not much in the way of services available (hey, it's 3 star, remember).
2. A bit noisy at night if you have the windows open. Especially as Cologne seems be be having a lot of infrastructure work done at present. The workmen work from stupid o'clock, including weekends.

The positives outweigh the negatives. Great value for money, fantastic location, especially if you just needed a B&B. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael N
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great location for the Cologne Messe and old town. Seconds from the central square and therefore also reasonable value. Pretty basic in terms of decor and service but adequate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lankaisi
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed in a single room for one night for a conference nearby. Hotel room was clean and adequate, 5 minutes walk from rail station link to airport. Only drawback was no tea or coffee facilities in room or airconditioning which meant I was a bit hot in the night. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had to double check when reading the previous reviews that I had stayed at the same hotel and my experience of this gastly place was nothing like other reviewers. But yes, on seeing the awfull picture of the single room posted by one reviewer I confirm it is definitely the same place that I stayed.
Where to start, we firstly the room, the photographs do not show just how tiny these rooms are, the bed is not even a full size single bed and the bathroom tiny too. what you do not get a sense of in the pictures either is the smell. Foisty, dirty, musty smell that lingered on my clothes and suitacase for the remaining 3 days until I could get home to wash them.
The hotel reports that it has air conditioning, however, this is a floor standing plug in unit which basically blows out warm air. So I decided to open my window but then the room was filled with flying ants.
I asked the reception staff to move me rooms so he did show me another room, double, which was in the back part of the hotel and although bigger was just as grim as the single room.
I managed to stay one night, after waking up every hour was glad for the morning to arrive and to check out early. I was due to stay at the hotel for 2 nights but after 1 night could not contemplate being their any longer.
The hotel wanted an 80% charge for late cancellation, ok I can accept that they have policies, but when I tried to explain to them the reason for checking out early they were not in the least bit interested and instread just demanded that I pay my bill.
I paid and ran.
There are other hotels in Cologne centre which are not much more expensive and will give you a much more comfortable, cleaner and happier experience of the city.
I moved to the Best Western, right opposite the train station, for EUR17 more (inc breakfast) and was then able to relax and feel clean.
If you dont care about where you stay and dont mind the smell then this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hotel is in a fantastic location, next to the Cathedral and close to the train station.

We had a double/twin room which was clean and adequate size. The bathroom was very small - I can't think that a person much above average size would be able to cope with it. We were given a room at the back of the hotel so no view (except the back of the adjacent buildings), but it was quiet.

The courtesy breakfasts were very good, buffet style and the dining staff were fantastic and always topping things up.

The rest of the staff were a little hit and miss - the person on duty when we arrived just gave us the key with no explanation of breakfast, lifts, offer of maps/assistance or any of the usual reception courtesy you would expect, albeit we did check-in much too early, so we were pleased to be allowed in to our room.

The bar was meant to be open until 2am but one evening my OH fancied a night-cap at 10.30 and the receptionist told him that as they had few guests the bar-tender had gone home and he wasn't qualified to pour drinks! After some discussion, he agreed to pour a beer, but he said he couldn't do spirits as hadn't been taught how to serve them, OH was not sure if this chap was being deliberately awkward or not.

The rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful and to be fair neither of the above gentlemen were rude or unpleasant.

I would recommend this hotel as it was reasonably priced, good breakfast and in particular for the location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple