“Fantastic Location great breakfast”

Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #22 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Had a one night stop in Koln, we wanted to stay in the centre, this hotel is perfect. Simple, clean lines, great breakfast huge choice. All the rooms look inward so it was quiet. Seconds from the DOM and so close to the few Kolsch brauhaus.

Room Tip: For a room with a DOM view the wanted 60 Euro !!! forget it ... but I had to ask
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank another_JohnDoe
Vera_Mueller, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear another_JohnDoe,

thank you so much for your feedback.
We are more than happy to receive such clear and simple details on a "night over in Cologne" spent with us.

Hope to welcome you back.

All the best,

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This hotel exceeded all our expectations. Great room, free wi fi, toiletries, bathrobes and a lovely comfy bed. Breakfast was excellent, with fresh fruit, choice of yogurt and fresh croissants and bread. Ideally located for exploring the town.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam D

Dear Pam D,

thank you very much for your feebdack on your stay with us.
We hope you enjoyed your stay with us as much as the town Köln itself.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

The hotel is well located, it has a parking garage at the back (but quite expensive), and the lobby etc is very grand. Somehow I got a free 'upgrade' because I was an Accor member. This entitled me to free use of the mini-bar, and apparently a better room.

The hotel and room was clean and tidy, but as others have said, the rooms are so small, you have no space to move, and this was the case for me. Free wifi was included, however the password is very cryptic, and needs daily validation. A colleague who didn't receive this free upgrade commented that she had a more spacious room in comparison.

Breakfast was surprisingly good, and the reception staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try not to get an upgrade. Apparently you get a bigger room!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Vera_Mueller, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear pr1te5h,

thanks for your feedback on your stay with us.
Indeed, all rooms are furnished a little different so some of them "feel" bigger. We would be more than happy to show you one of those rooms to see whether you "feel" it more spacious or not.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed here for work having tried several different hotels in Cologne and will definitely make this my hotel of choice from now on. Location is great obviously and made going out for dinner after a late flight easy. Breakfast was as good a buffet as I have seen at this class of hotel and the communal areas all nicely decorated. Room was small but perfectly formed. Service was efficient but unexceptional. Recommend.

1  Thank Matt70380

Dear Matt70380,

thanks for your feedback.
We are happy you decided to stay with us on a regular basis. You are more then welcome to let us know wheter you prefer a specific room or if there is anything we can do better.

Greetings from Cologne

Reviewed March 28, 2014

but it isn't anymore, because of the lack of friendly service. It was one of the best **** hotels in Cologne, if not the best, but it is a ***** by claim now and not really by delivery. The normal rooms ("classic"), and that of course is the litmus test, are indeed nicely decorated but, as has been pointed out, simply *** size and also laid out in such a way that there is literally no place for a big back, let alone a suitcase. This makes using the rooms inconvenient as a single; as a double, it would be pretty much a disaster.

Location is of course good - like many Cologne hotels such as Ernst, Dom, Früh and so on - but that also means that things get insanely loud on the weekend unless you take a room to the courtyard (from which you often can see the cathedral's spires) which I find nice. There is heavy construction just around the hotel since, oh, years, which means noise and dirt and tricky walking, but the integrated parking deck is good and one can walk pretty much everywhere. Breakfast is very good if included in the daily rate; if not, as has been universally remarked here, it is a ripoff, but there are great café places in the vicinity.

My biggest problem with the Mondial is that the staff I encountered provided really lousy service, paired with bad attitude and a marked lack of friendliness and even courtesy. I have relatively low standards of what I expect (I do not need staff to "walk that extra mile"), but in ***** hotels, I expect, on the phone, another reply than "Hä?" to something I say. I used to have a corporate rate at this hotel; reservation was quite bothered to be asked whether this was still valid and checked, but then said it wasn't.

When I showed up at the hotel, the check-in (Friday early evening) was surely one of the most unfriendly I ever experienced. My last booking was a while ago, so the woman at the desk said I needed to fill out all forms and pay in advance (!) as she did not know whether I was still solvent (!). I was there with a corporate address and with two major credit cards, and with a private car on their parking desk, and it really hasn't happened to me in a long time that I checked in at a hotel where I stayed maybe 10 times before and that submitting the credit card was not enough. Certainly not in Cologne (or Germany) or anywhere with Accor - this is not customary but decidedly unfriendly.

Altogether, from the staff perspective, the clear impression given was that guests are a bother and disturb the peace (I was the only person in the lobby, except another staffer who stayed markedly uninvolved), and this is surely a hotel that, in spite of its several advantages, I was glad to leave and that I will be happy not to return to.

Dear Athelred,

first of all we would like to thank you very much for providing us with your feedback concerning your stay in our hotel. I am sorry that your experiences did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. At MGallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrence.
Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences during your stay with us and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to convince you of our services during a possible next stay in the Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Hotel Mondial has a great location -right next to the Cologne cathedral and within walking distance of the train station. Sharp, well decorated lobby and lovely room. Top notch service at the desk and by the concierge. The room had all the bells-and-whistles -- plush robe, spa toiletries, and great bath. Lobby is particularly nice with a library area set aside for reading and conversation. Close to the Rhine for people watching, pubs and just strolling.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Vera_Mueller, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear leslie212,

thanks for your feedback.
It´s so true it´s all about location. That´s what our slogan is "walking Cologne".

Hope to welcome you again.
All the best

Reviewed March 16, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Vera_Mueller, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014