“Good location, nice ambient, tiny rooms, expensive breakfast”

Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #21 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights, for second time. Near to the dom and train station is very nice when you need to go diary to koln-messe. The rooms, very tiny. The breakfast is great but expensive. You can go to starbucks at train station and pay less than a third of you can spent for a breakfast at this hotel. Gym: only three aerobics machines, no more. Great and complete spa!
The bar is nice to spend some time before go to dinner.
I will recomend this hotel, but I knoe that maybe there are anothers similara or better in price-benefits.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mondial am Dom Cologne MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Staff were freindly and helpfull upon arrival and we were offered a cathedral view or a quieter couryard room which we selected.The rooms are a bit small but comfortable and complimentary bottled water s provided. Conveniently located to explore all of Cologne and most of the best bars and restaurants in town are within a few hundred metres. Breakfast was the best have ever had in any hotel including full English, continental, pancakes and hot cherries and much more + the waitress was discreet but always on hand to assist or clear dirty plates.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Teddygrabber
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Visited Cologne or the weekend. Arrived wthout a hotel reservation. Hotel desk offered rate which I then went online and reduced the price by 55 EUR. Room was fine, but the beds are very small for someone 6'3" tall. The bathroom was modern and clean. The slightly higher price than other hotels in the area is worth the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a viewof the Dom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good location. TV in room is still Small Tube TV, not LCD.

Very close to the train station and lots of restaurant by the river, just 2-3 minutes walk from the hotel. The Dom is also only 2-3 minutes walk. Hohe Strase is just beside the Dom.

Almost all retail stores closes on Sunday.

Concierge is not that helpful.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotels location while central and near the Dom does not offer the best view of the Catherdral. The common areas of the hotel are nicely decorated and the staff were efficient and helpful, however I was disappointed by the size of my room. While my booking said I would get a city or cathedral view my view was of an internal light well. I would have asked to change rooms but I needed to get on with some work and was only there for a night so did not bother. My final gripe is that the wifi was chargeable and slow. I did not eat in the hotel, although my colleagues who had breakfast said there was a good selection.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I first stayed at this hotel when it was known as the Sofitel Am Dom Hotel a few years ago and very much enjoyed my stay there. Despite the rather smallish size of the rooms, it was a truly 5 star hotel experience.
Recently, I had to go to Cologne gain and decided to revisit the hotel. The welcoming was as pleasant as I remembered. The staff were courteous and polite. I had required a non smoking and quiet room and they happily obliged. So far, so good.
Whether it's the fact that management has changed or just the passing of time, I was rather disappointed with the state of the room and bathroom. The walls in the bedroom were stained and the bathroom's white walls are in need of a fresh coat of paint. No complimentary slippers and just one bathrobe for two guests. The toiletries are not of the best quality, but acceptable. The linen for the bed was ok (still the same as before), but the towels were a bit cheap albeit white. The air conditioning worked well and the TV service offers you ample choice for news and programmes in all languages. Complimentary mineral water was a nice gesture which was replenished every day. No turning of bed of bed and no chocolates as in the past. If you are a light sleeper staying close to the Cathedral will mean that you will hear the bells toll frequently, starting very early in the morning and finishing at midnight. I decided not to have breakfast at the hotel as I found the cost of 25 Euros quite expensive vis a vis the current state of the hotel. Equally did not stay for dinner as my initial experience of a few years back was of fish drowned in butter so I decided to give it a miss and explore other options in the city. Wi Fi is at 9 Euros a day, which I find unacceptable as a matter of principle so did without that. All in all it's an acceptable place to stay, being the location one of its greatest assets particularly if on business and very tired at the end of the day. Unlikely to revisit soon as I it has lost some of its stars.

1  Thank MAFAL
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and two children stayed here for 3 nights in early August. We had adjoining rooms with spectacular views of the cathedral. As other have said, the rooms are not fancy, but nice. The storage situation was a little lacking and some of the furnishings (tv/safe/minibar cabinet!) a bit dated. Not horrible, but could be improved. In-room coffee consisted of a hot pot and packets of instant. The internet situation is awful; the worst we experienced in Europe. Don’t waste the 9 euros for 24 hours of frustratingly intermittent and painfully slow wifi. Instead, get a kolsch from the nearby store for 2 euros, head down to the Rhine, sit on the grass and celebrate the brilliant way you just saved 7 euros. One more negative: 20 euros a day for parking! We needed a car for this portion of our trip, but the train station is a short walk.

Now on to the positives! The breakfast was the best we had in Europe. We could load up early in the day and then not have to deal with an afternoon meal. It also saved the time and hassle of finding a restaurant for the four of us; we could have an afternoon snack and be fine until dinner. It worked great for our family.

The location is excellent, as others have mentioned. Easy walk to the shopping and all the restaurants along the Rhine. We took a nice 15-20 minute stroll down the river to the chocolate museum. Also, when we needed to drive, the main roads were easy to access.

If you can, get a room with a cathedral view. On the night we arrived, we threw open the windows, watched the sunset beyond the cathedral and ordered room service. The meal was good, but I’ll always remember that spectacular view and as if it couldn’t get any better, a brass ensemble somewhere outside started playing Bach as we ate.

Front desk, concierge, and staff were all very efficient and courteous. We would stay here again, but would take the train and use the business center computer to check email, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family