“Simple, comfortable hotel”

Park Inn by Radisson Koeln City West
Ranked #43 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I have stayed one night in Park Inn Cologne City-West in July 2009.
Hotel is located quite close to the city centre (approx. 8-10 EUR by taxi from main railway station), in quiet area of Cologne.
Outside original glass-like design catches your eye. I liked that.
Coloured and modern design you could see inside as well. Front desk is again simple, but usefull. Staff was friendly, professional and efficient.
I had booked standard double room. I have to admit that that was great value for money. New, comfortable room with double bed was fresh and good looking. I could feel there really good. New furniture, plasma TV with selection of programms, internet access (overpriced like everywhere in hotels in Germany).
I didn't take breakfast because of early departure (staff helped me with holding my baggage until afternoon).
Next time visiting Cologne I'll definitely consider Park Inn Koln City-West as a place to stay. It was nice experience and really great value for money for modern, clean and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank marqoos_pl

Reviewed February 15, 2011

I've stayed 3 nights at this hotel and enjoyed every moment. Perfect staff, smiling all the time and very friendly. Food quality was good. Rooms have to be upgraded a little. I dislike the room quality. Overall everything was good for a business trip.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank pudra
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Really good personnal who tales care of you but poor and noise tools with noisy heating system. A lot of choice for thé breakfast but with cheap things...
This hôtel us a little bit far away from down town

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The Park Inn in Koln West is a big, modern hotel with all the amenities and facilities that you would expect from a big chain hotel.

Very clean and comfortable, the rooms were of a good size and the bathroom was excellent with a great shower and bath.

The staff were very friendly, spoke good English and were very helpful in goving directions and advice for getting to where we wanted to go.

Whilst it is not directly in the city centre, the hotel is near a tram stop and you are only two stops from the city centre.

Overall, a highly recommended hotel at a very good price.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisandCristina
Reviewed December 23, 2010

We stayed at the Park Inn Köln City West for a couple of nights when we recently went to Cologne to visit the German Markets and have a city break before Christmas. I booked the hotel back in August for £35 a night per room. For a four star hotel, I thought this was superb value, and it was. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable - a typical business hotel chain room. The staff could have been a little more pleasant on the front desk, but the other staff around the hotel were excellent.

The location was good - it was about a 5 minute tram ride to central Cologne or a 30 minute walk to the Dom / Hbf. It was a little further out than some hotels, but I suppose this is why advance breaks are cheaper here. Don't be put off though. The walk is nice, and you can cut through the parks.

I would agree with others and say the hotel generally was fairly pricey for all extras. €18 for breakfast was very steep, drinks and food were expensive in the mini-bar, internet access was at a ludicrous cost - but if you are like me and did not want any of this particularly, then this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank mellowlellow
Reviewed December 3, 2010

The Park Inn in Cologne is an excellent hotel and was perfect as a base to explore the city. About ten minutes walk from the main station (Hbf), the Cathedral and the old town and about the same from the lively and trendy areas around Brussels Square to the west of the centre.

The room was not huge, but more than adequate, with a very comfortable bed and modern bathroom. The room was spotless as were the corridors, lobby and fitness centre.

Pool is a good size and was always quiet. Gym is more a case of a few machines, but again no one was ever in there. Nice sauna as well.

On arrival we were greeted by one of the most friendly and helpful receptionists I have come across. The guy couldn't be more helpful - suggesting restaurants (touristy and off the beaten track), places to visit, shopping etc.

Highly reccommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I booked the Park Inn Cologne West through a special deal on LastMinute.com. I stayed three nights and I felt satisfied with the room: it was clean and comfortable. The only complaints I could make about the room was that the tap in the bathtub had the strangest construction I’ve ever seen: it took me several minutes to figure out how to turn on the hot water. Also, there were no price lists for the minibar items and the hotel information list was skimpy both in German and in English. There was very little information given about room service and other services that were available.

Overall I was disappointed by Park Inn City West. One of the reasons why I chose the Park West was because it had a sauna. I also wasn’t informed in advance that the Wellness area was closed: I also learned about it from a sign in the lift which gave no indication how long it would be shut. I realised it was going to be for more than a day or two when I looked through its window and saw the floor under construction.

The food in the bar came in large portions. I ordered a cheese sandwich which came as a three layer club sandwich with salad. The service was fine. I was surprised by how pricey everything was in the hotel: the sandwich, a cup of coffee and a bottle of water cost €8. A half hour on the internet cost €5 (I don’t know why the other reviewer was charged €8 Euros; a day’s access to the Internet cost €12, according to the hotel website). My package didn’t include breakfast, and so I asked how much it was: €18! When I told my German friends the cost, they were flabbergasted; they were used to paying €10 for breakfast in five star hotels in Germany.

The staff at the desk were not very helpful. On my first morning I asked if they sold the Cologne Welcome Card. The gentleman working at the desk said they didn’t and showed me on a map how to get to the Tourist Information office in the centre of town. I bought a single ticket at the tram station and went to the main train station, then found the Tourist Information office. When I checked out two days later I mentioned to the woman at the desk that it would be helpful if they sold the card. She told me that they did, and her colleague must have got mixed up, as they sold one kind of Welcome card, which provided public transport, but not the other – I wanted the one with the transport. I had spent an extra €2.50 for the single ticket to the train station. It was just as well that I wanted to go into the center of town anyway on my first day.

The location isn’t too bad if you are familiar with the Cologne public travel system. The hotel is just outside the centre of town and the tram station is a three minute walk. The trams that leave from the station connect with trams and tube trains, so you can make connections to the main attractions of Cologne in a few minutes. I felt comfortable walking back to the hotel from the tram station at 9:30 at night, but the next night, when I came back from a concert at 11:30, I felt nervous about walking in the dark on my own so I took a taxi from the main train station. There are restaurants and pubs within walking distance of the hotel, around the corner. The district that the hotel is located in is more of a residential and business district. It’s green and pretty, but during the day there isn’t much nearby. A cemetary near the hotel takes up a large area, the university takes up another large area in the other direction and there aren’t many nearby shops. After finding out how much breakfast was I walked on Sunday morning to find some rolls and drinks. After a half hour walk I finally found a convenience store. If you don’t have breakfast included in your stay bring back snacks and drinks to your room.

On my last morning I arranged to check out an hour later than the usual check out time at 12 PM. I had come back late the night before from the concert and I didn’t appreciate being woken up by a hammer banging on walls early in the morning. I was on the third floor and the banging was coming from the spa repairs on the sixth floor. I could understand the workmen starting at 9 on a Monday morning, but they started at 8:30.

Overall, the Park West is good for a business stay, especially if you have an expenses account. I would not reccomend it for people who want to see Cologne on holiday: other hotels are closer to the centre and offer better value for money when it comes to service.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo