“Very disappointing”
Review of Hilton Cologne

Hilton Cologne
Ranked #23 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Got off to a bad start at 2:30pm as my room wasn't ready, they estimated 3 or 3:30 so left my luggage and came back at 3pm (the check-in time).
Room was not ready until after 4pm, this was annoying as it messed up my evening plans.
The corridor and room smelt somewhat stale, with noticeable dirt and fluff around.
The decor and furnishings in the room had a cheap look and feel, certainly not high-end, in fact I've stayed in several UK Premier Inns that were nicer.
The room was smaller than expected and the layout was poorly designed, there was nowhere to place an open suitcase without tripping over it or blocking a door.
There was also a poor finish to my stay as they tried to sting me with a minibar charge, although this was quickly dismissed it left a bad taste.
This was the least impressive hotel of the 8 I stayed in on this trip.
Only good point I can think of is the location - only 5 mins from the main train station.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JimmyG572
Hilton_Cologne, Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear JimmyG572,
Thank you very much for choosing the Hilton Cologne and for your honest feedback.
I sincerely apologize that you were not able to enjoy your stay at the Hilton Cologne.
As you reported, our regular check in time is 3:00 pm, that you received your room key around 4:00 pm is definitely not our standard.
Our Housekeeping Team is always giving their utmost to guarantee a clean and ready room around 3:00 pm.
Due to special booking situations, it is sometimes not possible to have every room ready at this time
but as mentioned this would be an exception and not our standard procedure.
I am very sorry to hear that the room type you booked did not meet your expectations.
Dear JimmyG572, we apologize again that your stay with us was not as expected.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in Cologne and our house to show that your impressions have been an exception.
We wish you all the best,

There are newer reviews for Hilton Cologne

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Location of this Hilton is great, a 5 minute walk to the train station.

The hotel itself lacks a bit of atmoshpere, everything seems very practical and "cold".
Rooms very rather small, equipped in normal Hilton standard, again nothing special but okay.

My aircon was broken and upon reporting this to the front desk, it was swiftly taken care of by technicians.

The breakfast buffet offers plenty of options, ranging from warm meals to a wide range of yogurt and muesli. It does come at a cost of 20/25 Euros (depending if you book a day in advance or not).

Internet is 20 Euro for 24 hours, a bottle of water (5dl) something around 5 Euros...

All in all, okay, but nothing fancy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

The Cologne Hilton has nice rooms, clean, big and well equiped. The hotel is close to the railway station and also near many traditional tourist attractions. If this hotel is booked for the right rate it is a great pick. Internet works fine, the staff is very friendly and frequent travellers are recognized by the team. Cannot judge about the parking and dinner because I came by train and I choose to find nice places to eat near the hotel

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The only good thing about the hotel is the location and maybe the staff, they were helpful in someway. The rooms are extremely small. There is no free internet not even at the lobby. I dropped a chocolate bar on the bed and sheet was covered with chocolate all over around. They did NOT change the sheet the following day. On the other hand the cleaning staff starts knocking the door and getting in the room at 8 in the morning. PLUS, the amount they blocked at the credit card during check-in is still blocked. It is has been 10 days now they did not release the amount yet. Never happened before, don't know what to do. The worst experience ever in all aspects.

Room Tip: The best room is any room except this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank buraks71
Hilton_Cologne, Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear buraks 71,

Thank you very much for staying at the Hilton Cologne and taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I am concerned to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.
Regarding the internet, I would like to inform you that we do offer free WIFI in the Lobby area.
Furthermore we have a business centre where you can use 2 computers( with internet access) and printer without any charges.(open 24hrs)
I apologize that we did not inform you about these facilities upon check in.
This and the cleaning issues you experienced are surely not our Hilton Standard.
Please be assured that we will discuss your experiences with the responsible department heads to avoid such inconveniences in the future.
Concerning the blocked amount on your credit card, please contact me personally to make sure this will be released as soon as possible.
The procedure is normally that we release the authorized amount directly after check out, sometimes it takes up to 10 working days, this depends on the bank.

Dear buraks 71, I deeply apologize that your stay was not as expected.
We hope you give us a second chance to show that the issues you experienced are not our standard and we have the opportunity to deliver our regular first class service.
Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime if I can be of any further assistance.
Best regards,

katharina.scherff@hilton.com

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Front office and check in staff were extremely helpful. They acknowledged I was a Diamond member. Check out was just as pleasant and very professional. Only complaint was breakfast, NOT the food as it was pretty good, plentiful and a wide variety. The staff for breakfast is good but NO interaction with guests. I had to ask for coffee and juice. They did not know any names of any guests. Granted this is a large hotel, but I have stayed at other hotels in the area...
ie: Marriott and the Dorint, at least they (breakfast staff) will ask how and if the food is good.
otherwise, my stay at the Hilton was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Helps if you are a Gold member or higher as the rooms are bigger and more quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Took a chance on this hotel for the last few days of our holiday which happened to include my birthday. Room was clean and a good size. Breakfast offered many choices all very nice. Stephan and Aric in the restaurant were brilliant, not just in their service but with their helpful local knowledge. Both evening meals in the restaurant were excellent. The steak was perfect.

On my birthday I was greeted at beakfast with a smile and birthday wishes. Glass of fizzy wine with breakfast. Great way to start the day. A lovely card with fresh fruit and chocolates in our room that afternoon from the hotel.

All the staff we had contact with were helpful friendly and always had a smile for us. Will recommend to friends.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton_Cologne, Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Carol N,

Thank you so much for your nice comment.
It was such a pleasure for our whole team to have you and your husband as our guests.
I am pleased to pass your feedback on to Stefan and Aric.
We had a great time with you both and hope you are coming back soon.
I hope you will bring enough time for your next visit to try the delicious chocolate cake at the museum.
Very best wishes,

Katharina

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hotel is located close to the Dom and the main train station. Has lots of great places to eat nearby as well. Rooms are well furnished with wood floors. I try and stay here every time iI am in Cologne.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Aura99

I am more than pleased to hear that the Hilton Cologne is your favourite hotel in Cologne.
We much appreciate this and are happy that our rooms and our whole location fits your needs.
It is always a pleasure for us to have you with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
Best Regards,