Hilton Cologne
Star am Dom(Cologne)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
2,276 results
All reviewsgreat locationtrain stationcologne cathedrallobby bardeluxe roomfree wifibreakfast buffetcentral locationmain stationshopping districtold townchristmas marketfew minutes walkvisiting cologneyogurtdomkonrad
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2013

really great location. good service but bit expensive. room condition is good and room was large. room has a great view. breakfast is good but would be better. reception staff is helpfull but no more smiling face around you. However, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We spent one night here. The rooms are really nice--a good size, modern, and comfortable. The receptionist was really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent. Cologne was so interesting that I would have liked to spend three nights here. The cathedral is stunning and the Roman-Germanic museum next to it is fascinating. The location of the Hilton is perfect, less than a five minute walk to those places. Overall, an excellent European five star hotel for a reasonable advance purchase price.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Hilton_Cologne, Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear jmcneill81,

Thank you very much for staying at the Hilton Cologne and taking so much time to write this nice review.

We are pleased to see that you had a great time in Cologne and liked our "Kölner Dom".

I am more than happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team was attentive to your needs.

It will be a pleasure for us welcoming you back to Cologne and our hotel for hopefully more than one night.

Yours sincerely,

Katharina Scherff
Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I'm a Hilton rewards member and I can't recommend this place, other than that I got a great rate on an off-day by paying in advance. Otherwise the price is ridiculous. You get nothing but the room, which is big and spacious: wifi, breakfast or anything else is extra. The wifi is pricey (20/day), but you get a sluggish free version in the lobby (no advertisement for the paid kind).
The location is just 5 minutes from the station, but that means you're downtown with the drunks and rowdy teens. Better one of the small hotels on the east side of the station like Hotel am Domstern. And stay out of the restaurant. Go to Zum Dominikaner on the corner, Schreckenskammer or Päffgen (both 10 minutes away on foot).

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed in the Hilton for a week while on a business trip. The hotel itself is fine, it has all the facilities that you would expect of a hotel like this. What I found to be dissapointing was the quality of housekeeping service. Again it was in the detail ... but as a business traveller you spend very little time in your room and so when you are there you have a higer expectation. For example, on the day I arrived I unpacked and sent all my shirts for pressing only, I completed the form indicating pressing only and I handed in at reception and gave the verbal instruction. The next day when I queried the delay I was told that they were sent away for laundry. Fortunately they managed to get them back otherwise I would have nothing to wear to the office.
The other thing ... when I leave any clothes lying on the bed in the morning my expectation is that when I get back they will be folded away neatly, not dumped in a pile on the chair, empty water bottles left on the bed side should be removed not left lying there, empty shampoo and body wash containers should be removed from the shower....
The room was nice to look at but not functional. For example sitting on the couch you would think that you would be able to watch the TV. No ... to be comfortable you need to turn the couch but there is very little space to turn it. There is no place to put your luggage so you end up putting it on your bed ... not ideal if you think of where those bags have been.
All in all ... the stay was not bad but these little things irritated me.
On the plus side the location is fantastic. I did not spend oodles of money on the breakfast ... just walk around the corner and there are a number of delis to buy something at a fraction of the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed one night in Room 518 after our very early arrival in Europe at Duesseldorf airport. We took the short train ride and were there by 9 am. We could have had a smaller room then but decided to wait for an upgraded room due to our Hilton Honors Gold status. This place deserves a rating of 5 and is one of the best Hilton properties where I have stayed. My concerns are minor since the restaurant can be avoided for dinner as we did and the water pressure is an inconvenience only if you need to take a quick bath but should be improved, if possible, for a better overall bathing and shower experience.

Positives

• Great location, less than 100 m from train station and Dom. We arrived and departed by train so this was very convenient.
• Got a great rate of 119 euro plus tax which included breakfast for 2 adults-this was a best available package rate and was cancellable and not an advanced purchase one (rebooked after several initial bookings-first was AARP rate of 152, then saw one a couple of weeks before our departure for about 136 and then 122 about 4 days prior so out of curiosity, I clicked the package line and found the best available rate with breakfast 3 euro less than the AARP without breakfast and about 10 euro lower than the Best Available without breakfast?? (persistence pays off)-secret is to check several times a week-click change rate on Hilton web site once in your reservation detail and then find something in same price group since it won’t display your exact type of booking-if the price has gone down and your reservation is still cancellable, book a new reservation at the lower rate and then cancel original one once your new reservation appears in 20-45 minutes or so. (Hit cancel changes if the rate has not changed or gone up, of course!) I usually start our booking with the AARP rate since it has a cancel date the same day of arrival or only a day a two before so much flexibility. If you aren’t an AARP member, start with Best Available rate-just verify cancellation rules.
• Very friendly, multilingual, and helpful staff-provided map and directions (I wanted to buy 30 postcard stamps, but they only keep about 10 (slight negative but understandable) so they showed me how to go out the back door, across the rental car lot, and access the post office. It was still an adventure as I ended up walking all the way around the post building, bumped into a security guy in another wing who then helped me get to the desk where I bought stamps and was the only person-the worker was sitting in the back so I guess it’s not too busy just after it reopens at 2 (closes noon until 2pm), and then walked out to loading area and then back to hotel where very helpful valet happened to be and let me in the back door (he was the one who knew the hours and told me at 1 pm to come back down at 2 pm-it was our first day so we were in need of naps). Note: To send a postcard to the US from Germany, it costs 75 euro cents so this is the place to do it. It’s 1 euro in the Netherlands, was 87 euro cents in France 6 months ago, and 2 euro in Italy where you can’t buy stamps at the post office-only tobacco stands!
• Checked in about 1 pm after wandering around for 4 hours (including our lunch stop) while they held our luggage safely and then the valet brought them to our room-he was a great!
• Room had king sized bed with very comfortable sheets and pillows, good blackout curtains since it’s light from before 5 am until almost 11 pm, great Hilton amenities, and quiet
• Separate tub and shower
• Large safe
• Free (for Gold and Diamond) Internet and good connection
• Great view of Dom and another church from room-this was really nice and I will post a picture later if I took a good one

Neutrals

• Television with average selection of stations
• Received plate of chocolates and two bottles of water (positive) but took two reminders so didn’t get until late evening

Concerns:

• Low water pressure-took 15 minutes to fill the tub up 2/3 of the way-even shower had low pressure as well
• Overpriced seafood buffet on Friday night (46 euro per person). It includes one glass of champagne (should include unlimited) and based on what I read only has shrimp and fish. At that price, it should have lobster, crab, etc. We didn’t partake and found great place on TripAdvisor called Omas Kuche, which is about 200m from hotel just past Dom and which I highly recommend for good German meal, beer, service, and price (less than 41 euro for 2 meals, desserts, 2 wines (for one person), and 2 beers (for the other person)
• Read that bar prices were high so we bought some beer and wine in the next block-unlike IHG Group, Hilton does not give its status members a free drink or two

Room Tip: Ask for view of Dom from room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple