“Nice hotel close to the Cathedral”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Cologne

Hilton Cologne
Ranked #27 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Brussels, Belgium
“Nice hotel close to the Cathedral”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I visited this hotel twice for short stays. Both time I booked the cheapest room and was upgraded to deluxe as a Gold member. Those rooms were large enough and quite comfortable.

Very bright bathroom with all needed amenities.

Water bottles and sweets were offered as welcome gift.

Nice breakfast, includign on-demand eggs.

Front desk was friendly and quite helpful with advise for places to see and visit during the xmas market.

A few steps from the station and the Cathedral.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view on Cathedral
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hilton_Cologne, GUest Relations Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Hilton Cologne a few times.

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stays with us especially during the Christmas Markets in town.
We are pleased that you were always glad about the complimentary upgrade as well as the welcome gifts you found in your room as HHonors Gold member.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Augsburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Arriving late with the train in Cologne the hotel is very convenient located close to the train station. That day I lost my passport (which is annoying by itself). I spend at least 50 nights during the year in German hotels, not often i get asked for my passport, but here it was a major problem. I am registered gold member, so i assume all details where on my file, but I had a strong request to make sure that i provided my passport number by tomorrow, no driver license was not ok. As an favor they checked me in, and provided me with an upgraded room as offered as a gold member. The upgraded room was large, empty and more like an apple store with nothing inside, no personal touch. It felt like the Ibis hotel but just a bigger floor space.It was also on the first floor so the morning street noise waked me up.

The breakfast was very good, friendly service, good choice and made up some of my disappointment from my arrival.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the higher floors, if they offer an upgrade look if it is not the room at the far...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Hilton Cologne and for let us have your feedback through Tripadvisor.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced during check in. Unfortunately there is a German Law which obliges us as German Hotel to get the passport number, issue date and nationality of our guests from foreign countries. This is the reason why our team members at the Front Desk are asking for this information.

We regret that you did not feel comfortable in the room provided. We would be more than happy to offer you a room on a high floor on the other side of the hotel for the next time you will be staying with us. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before your arrival to verify this location of room. We would be more than happy to assist you.

It would be a pleasure to always welcoming you back at our property.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Where do I begin...? Walked into the font door and approached the checkin staff, greeted wih sarcasm and no assistance. I have been to many hotels, and many Hiltons, including this one. I recall the staff being very friendly on previous visits. This was not that staff. We had a group booking and staff were very confused. Checkin was legthy and painful after an 18 hour travel day getting here. (only stayed here again because Dorint was full).

When checking in, I wasn't even allowed to put my room on my Hilton Honors card. Not sure why, other than staff not geared towards customer service in any way.

Gentleman checking me in was short, and rude. Not sure how he got hired in the service industry.

On a brighter note, the room itself is great, as expected. The lobby bar staff was very friendly and helpful. I am axiously looking forward to breakfast in the morning. I remember it being the best full breakfast that I can think of having in a hotel. Hopefully the reception staff won't be doubling as kitchen staff in the morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Hilton Cologne as destination hotel again.

I am very sorry to read that you did not feel welcomed at your arrival. Furthermore I really regret that it took longer to check in all the rooms you have booked. If there are group booking made through our conference center we can always offer group check ins to guarantee a short waiting time.

Unfortunately it is not allowed to put the HHonors number in the system for a few rooms. I would like to bring to your attention that this demand has been made by HHonors itself. That is the reason we as Hilton Hotel have to comply with this requirement.

After reviewing your feedback I am happy to read that you were fully satisfied with the room provided and the friendly staff at the lobby bar.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcoming you back some day to show you we can make it better.

NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

As a Diamond Member and a weekly traveler, this is one of the worst Hilton in terms of service.

Positives: Good breakfast

Negatives: After a very long 9 months of work, we were finally looking forward to a 3 day weekend and a break. Upon check-in, we were told that there is no executive lounge but we get a room upgrade (due to status), free breakfast and wifi. This should have set off concerns that they had no clue what were normal benefits for Diamond members and it wasn't something unusual. There is no concierge desk and I asked for directions to the a "real" grocery store near the area and was sent on a 'wild-goose"chase to something that didn't exist and is a kiosk. The guy was trying to do his best to get through my remaining questions on restaurants and he wasn't willing to hear the remaining questions. The worst part was the Internet......it connected but a google website took 10-15 mins to load. On Fri night, at 10pm, I finally called the front desk, described the problem in detail to them and was told that I had to interact with the Internet provider directly. I kindly informed them that it was their problem, and they need to resolve the issue. In the meantime, I used my international 3G card to try to do travel research to organize things for the next day at significant cost to me. Instead of helping, all Hilton did was connect to internet provider and transferred the call to me and I had to explain the problem to the Internet provider. The provider proceeds to tell me that the password provided by Hilton expired and I told them it wasn't possible as I checked-in today and it was connecting but extremely slow. The provider wanted to debug the problem on my computer and I had enough. The last thing I wanted on a Fri of a 3 day vacation at 10:30pm was to resolve their incompetent Internet issues. I called the hotel manager and directly pointed out my frustration that I had to describe the problem again to the provider, it wasn't my computer and the provider told me it was their password. After all this discussion, the manager tells me the provider is not correct on the password. Exactly my point from the start to have Hilton resolve this issue directly with the provider. The manager promised to get back to me the next morning and nobody did and no Internet for the entire trip. If they treat a Diamond member this way, I can't imagine their service for people without status. No paper or pen either in the room. The rooms have very small windows and no view, it feels like being surrounded by 4 walls. Very disappointed!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SabinaJ
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for let us have your impressions about your stay.

First of all it is really nice to read, that you have enjoyed our Breakfast buffet.

Furthermore we would like to take the opportunity to comment on your statement:

The Benefits you received while your stay is for special Diamond VIP members. We are happy to let our Diamond members know what the actual Benefits are.

In our property the Guest Relation as well the Front Desk team take the tasks of a concierge.

We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with our Internet service provided by “Swisscom”. Generally we are not able to solve connecting problems at the Front Desk. This is why you were connected to “Swisscom”. In order to solve the issue the Front Desk proceeds to connect the guest to the provider, that way they are able to solve the issue directly.
We deeply regret that in this case “Swisscom” was not able to solve the issue directly.

In this case we thank you for getting back to us after “Swisscom” was not able to help you. We always intend to resolve the problem in the best possible way. As in your case the Manager on Duty was not able to solve the problem without special details about your electrical devices as “Swisscom” needed special Information why the Internet Voucher was not working.
It is our procedure to get back to every guest personally or in written Massage after resolving the issue.

We like to give all our guests same type of good service. I apologize if you felt treated badly by our customer service.

You also wrote that there was no pen and paper in the room. This is of course not acceptable; we deeply regret any inconvenience this might cause to you.

Please rest assure that it is not our intent that you felt surrounded in the room due to the small windows. We always try to offer to our special VIP Members the bests and nicest rooms in the Hotel as we appreciate the Loyalty to the Hilton Hotels. In this case we would be more than happy if you have again the time to send us a personal email to my hands,
wibke.francovich@hilton.com, that we have the possibility to save this information in your Hilton Honors Profile for your future visits.

We would be more than happy welcoming you again in our Hilton Cologne!

Best Regards
Wibke Francovich
hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of August/beginning of September as my other half was visiting Koln Messe for an exhibition. We booked the hotel quite late and paid in full in advance. On our eventual arrival (after our German Wings flight had been cancelled) the last thing we were expecting was to have to pay 50 euros per night in case we used the in room mini bar (have you seen the extortionate prices?) or the wi-fi (why are they not offering free wi-fi?). We didnt bring a credit card with us, I had my debit card & a small amount of euros. We had to hand over our euros which we got back on our check-out, but it meant that we lost out financially as we had to withdraw more cash from a cashpoint and then at the end of our stay we had 150 euros which I lost out on when changing back to sterling!! Nowhere on our terms and conditions did it state that we would have to pay 50 euros per night or that they would take a capture on a credit card. It just said they may take a payment for incidentals, but it didnt state how much or that they would only take a credit card or cash.
We were given a room overlooking the cathedral, nice view but an incredibly noisy room, I think the street in front of the hotel must be one of the noisiest streets in Cologne. We couldnt get the air conditioning to blow out cold air, so had to have the windows open. The church directly in front of the hotel rang its bells every hour on the hour from 6am until 7pm and twice a day they were rung continuously for 10 minutes.
We didnt have breakfast in the hotel - not for 27 euros each!!
The walls in our room were badly marked, there was a strange stain on one lampshade over the bed, I would suggest someone knocked their head on it, just as we did, owing to the strange angles of the lamps positioned over the bed, you could move them but you will probably bang your head before you realise.
There was also a bottle top & 2 used cotton buds in the bin in our room & a hair (not from a head) in the sink in the bathroom.
One afternoon I went to get ice from the machine by the lift but couldnt get to it as the cleaners trolley was left directly in front of it, the trolley was full of used linen.
On the Sunday afternoon we were sat relaxing in our room when there was a knock on the door and before we could even say hello or get up to see who was at the door, a lady opened the door & as soon as she saw my other half sat on the chair she shut the door again, no apology.

Positives about the Hilton - the location is great, within walking distance of the main train station & very close to the cathedral, we also walked to Messe for the exhibition and walked along the Rhine, all very close by.

If we go to an exhibition again in Cologne, we will not stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Val J
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you very much for taking your time to let us have your detailed feedback through Tripavisor.

I am very sorry to read that you were not totally satisfied during your stay.

Please accept my sincerest apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the not properly cleanliness of room.
That one of my colleagues at Room Service knocked only one time at your door before entering your room is unacceptable and is not according to our guest service standards we are providing every day.
Please rest assured that we will review this constructive critic with the responsible head of departments as well as our senior management in order to avoid any re-occurrence in future.

Since we are an international hotel my colleagues at the Front Desk have to make sure that there is a kind of guarantee for incidentals which may occur. This guarantee could be made in terms of a credit card, Maestro card or a Cash Deposit. We regret any inconvenience this might caused to you.

It is nice to read that you appreciated the beautiful view from your room. Since the cathedral, which is located only two blocks away from our property, is the biggest in Cologne the bells ring regularly. I am very sorry that these bells disturbed you while staying in your room. Of course we do have rooms which will be located to another side of the building so that you neither see nor hear the bells ringing.

In regards of the loudness of the street in front of our building I have to tell you that this street is a one-way-street and will be used only by taxis in most of the cases.

If there is something I may not covered already please feel free to contact me anytime directly under Michele.Doehring@hilton.com.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here at the Cologne Hilton several times in the past several months. It is a great location near the Dom and the hotel staff are always polite and accommodating. Breakfast selection in the restaurant is also good. Will stay here next time I am in Cologne.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sunnyda1
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you very much for choosing the Hilton Cologne several times during your last trips to Cologne.

It is nice to read that you always were totally satisfied with these stays and felt most welcome and cared for.

Alberta Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very nice hotel- if you've stayed at a Hilton before you will recognize the quality. We had breakfast included and we were very pleased with the selection. Excellent location- literally steps away from train station and the Cathedral and Rhine River were just a short walk away. Would stay here again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lynniepAC
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our property for your last trip to Cologne.

We really appreciate that you enjoyed staying with us and were totally satisfied with the breakfast choice as well as the location in the middle of the city centre.