“Great for a short break”

Novum Hotel Leonet Cologne Altstadt
Ranked #198 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 3 day visit to the Christmas markets. The hotel was affordable for our modest budget and we were not disappointed with either service or room. We were on the first floor and overlooked a minor street in the city. Views not great but we didn't expect anything else. I was certainly pleased that the window would open properly to allow fresh air and that the room was not ridiculously warm in fact it was just right. The bathroom was compact but very clean and perfectly serviceable. Now the breakfast, this was extremely good and far exceeded my expectations. Excellent bread rolls (why can continental nations do such brilliant mass produced bread and England produce such an inferior version) tremendous coffee, fruit, eggs, wursts various. This food was as good as you would get in much more expensive places indeed quite a highlight of the trip.Staff were helpful and efficient but we saw little of them except at check in and out. Breakfast service staff were good.
Conclusion, no whistles and bells but we didn't pay for them. If you want clean, comfortable warm shower, belting breakfast then you can do much worse than here,

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rory H
There are newer reviews for Novum Hotel Leonet Cologne Altstadt

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This time I did not make the mistake of booking a single room for the sake of saving 10 euros, the double room was perfectly fine (nothing special, but fits the purpose). For some reason it is still considered a good idea to leave all windows open after cleaning (it was 3C outside...) so the room is ice cold as one enters but the heating is good, it was OK within five minutes. Locaton is excellent, 5' from the Rudolfplatz underground station, and there is a big Lidl supermarket just a corner away on the Hansaring if one wishes to economise on food/drinks. Breakfast is decent, but forget the coffee... Overall if one catches a good deal it is well worth it, but I would never pay the list price for it.

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms on the ground floor, they are substandard on all counts. The couple of extra...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Despite some of the reviews I have seen regarding this hotel, we actually found it very welcoming, warm, clean and quiet (despite its location near to some major thoroughfares).

The approach to the hotel did give us a couple of worries, but these were unfounded once we arrived and checked in. The room was clean and tidy, the bathroom impeccably so. Despite being beside the lift, there was no noise from it. The only bother I had with the room was the pillows - WAY too soft and perhaps old? My neck is still bad three days later.

There is no restaurant / evening meal, so we had to walk around to find somewhere (which we did thanks to the kind advice of the reception staff). This however wasn't helped by two tired children.

Breakfast was really nice, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only other niggle - and this is not the hotel's fault by any means - is that if you arrive by car there are only seven parking spaces. On street parking outside is for permit holders only on weekdays, and so you have to park in an underground carpark two streets away for 18 Euros per night. A bit of a shock, but when you see that the carpark is literally two minutes' walk away, it's not THAT bad.

Oh and one other thing - I was a bit uncomfortable with the number of people smoking directly outside the hotel's front doors (reception staff included). Walking past a cloud of cigarette smoke with a 2- and a 5-year-old is not ideal ...

I would recommend this hotel to families if their stay was for one or maybe two nights only.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, good deal from hotel.com.
Room was neat and tidy, bathroom a little small, but the shower was fine.
A major plus point was the outstanding breakfast, even for a veggie like me there was plenty of choice, the efficient staff were always refilling the food. Scrambled egg was the best I'd ever tasted.
Now the minus points, first of all there were two in the room however they only allow you one key, I found this a little strange and I'd not known this before, there seems to be no good reason for it.
Secondly although it was end of October the room was far too hot even without the heating on and the windows open, I wouldn't care to stay here in mid summer. A kettle in the room would be nice too.
I'd stay there again (not in warm weather) as the location and breakfast are worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there during dmexco as it was the only option (had to book a year in advance to have something better).

Cold room, looks like never renovated, all in one bootle with hand/body/hair wash which smells not so good.

I do not recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 30, 2013

With all the usual business hotels being uncomfortably pricey, I went for something more affordable on orbitz and this one came up as a reasonable offer for a single night stay. For an affordable price I received a ground floor hole with a window facing the license plate of a parked car at eye level within hand's reach. Apparently it was decided that in may there is no need for heating anymore, despite outside temperatures of 14C. With windows left wide open after cleaning, that was exactly the inside temperature too when I received my room. Reception said that so sorry, but no they cannot change my room except if I upgrade and pay more (the more was in the range twice what I paid on orbitz). I guess another lesson learned - if it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason...

Room Tip: Forget the single rooms, not worth the apparent savings
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank andrasz
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I booked this hotel during the 2013 gamescom conference in Koln, so this could help explain the high price but overall my stay there was disappointing when compared to the paid price. Specifically the problems with the hotel were:
* I arrived at the hotel 30 minutes prior to the official check-in time of 2pm. The staff refused to let me check-in early despite my heavy bag and despite me being jetlagged from the trip from the States.
* The room was small, the bed was uncomfortable and without a cover. (picture attached)
* The room wasn't serviced fully when i checked in - the bottle of water was used (picture attached). I was asked to pay 4 euro at checkout for the water i didn't use.
* The bathroom was small (picture attached).
* The TV was a computer monitor.
* Snoring of other patrons was audible through the walls.
* I booked via Expedia and paid in full at the time of booking. The hotel refused to issue an itemized folio at checkout stating that i should collect my invoice from Expedia.

On a positive note - the breakfast was ok and the location was central to Koln.
Overall, my experience was tainted by the overpriced room which i could party explain the city's rooms being sold out during gamescom. Stay away from this place unless the price is much lower than what i paid.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business