“Lovely Koln”

Novum Hotel Leonet Cologne Altstadt
Ranked #208 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice atmosphere and quite place where to spend some days in relax. I will advise my friends to go there anytime, booking on Internet. The weather was very nice and I COULD ENJOY IT completely. Also breakfast in the morning is very good and sutisfying.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Tiziana D

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed for around 2 weeks in this hotel on a business trip. I would rate it a "Good" instead of "Average" but it's not yet a "Very Good". Here are my findings:

1. This hotel is located in an excellent area - it's close to several important locations such as Neumarkt (great for shopping) & Rudolfplatz (great food)
2. I found it really convenient to get a Lebara mobile card & topping it up as there is a kiosk (small cafe selling essentials) quite close to the hotel
3. There is a great Asian-style diner called My Indigo which is walking distance from the hotel - pay 5 Euros and enjoy rice+chicken curry...excellent, hot, fresh food which i enjoyed in the cold weather!
4. Even if you are a single traveller, make sure you get the room with double occupancy. The first room i had was a single occupancy and it was just too small - you had to walk around the bed gingerly as there was no space around it. The double occupancy rooms are fine - wifi is excellent, and overall comfortable for working.
5. I dont think this hotel has larged size bath tubs - which is a useful thing to have! Otherwise the bathrooms are functional - plenty of hot water and the usual accessories.
6. Read up on the facilities the hotel offers - for example, you don't get the iron in your own room unless you pay a deposit; usually you'd have to go to the little room on the ground floor opposite the reception to iron your clothes...that was a bit of a bummer for me. There is no electric kettle provided in the room either. These are small touches but they make a difference during a person's stay, especially if on business. For example, at times you may be working late and want to have some tea - it's not convenient to get dressed & go to the reception for hot water although they will help you gladly.
7. I would recommend that the hotel offer a bit more variety at breakfast - the menu during my entire stay was exactly the same: scrambled eggs, occassionally boiled eggs; with a small selection of cold-cuts and cheese. Maybe some sausages or wurst would be nice!
8. Besides breakfast, meals are not provided and most restaurants don't provide delivery to the hotel neither do they stay open beyond 10 pm. So arrange your meals accordingly.

Overall the hotel is worthwhile for it's location & excellent staff who are friendly and try their best to make your stay pleasant. If it could upgrade its facilities a little bit, it would definitely be a more comfortable stay.

3  Thank Sumita C
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Nice clean room, decor slightly dated but that didn't bother us! Nice warm shower and fantastic heating system! It was cold when we went and the room heated up in minutes! A godsend after many cold evenings out!

The breakfast buffet was sufficient, rolls, bread, cereals, cold meats and cheese, fruit salad and yoghurts with the addition of hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs (which had a strange sweet flavour). The coffee and orange juice were in plentiful supply which was great!
One downside to the breakfast room - flies - flies everywhere!!! And this was winter, heaven only knows how bad this gets in the summer! This really does need to be looked at!!!!

There is a wellness centre in the hotel which basically consisted of a couple of exercise machines and bikes, a whirlpool bath (disappointingly out of action when we were there, and we were not informed of this when we paid our 5euros each to use it!) A steam room big enough for 2 people and a sauna (which never really got that hot to be honest despite the lady saying she turned it on 30mins before we went down there, so it should have been hot! The only real positive was that nobody was using this at the same time so my partner and I were able to enjoy in privacy!

The location of this hotel is fab, just a short walk to Rudolfplatz Tram stop and from there you can get to Neumarkt and then the world is your oyster! They also seem not to ever have a guard checking tram tickets, just saying ;)

Room Tip: We turned up and they offered us a twin room, we said no thank you and they quickly found us a doubl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelbuggalug
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I was very impressed with this hotel.
Prior got an upgrade when I checked it, room was a good size, great wifi, clean room, bright room with big window, comfortable bed, extensive breakfast, lots of storage space, helpful reception, free use of computer and printer in lobby, quiet location and value for money.
The only issue I had was 2 staff members entering the room without knocking on 2 separate occasions.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Tyro2
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here for a week as I was moving to Germany and needed a central place to stay on a budget - this was what I got. The room I had was tiny, so I spent hardly any time there. The bed was ok... I can't comment on the breakfast as I was getting up to go to work so didn't really have the time. It's just quite a dated place... but the staff were really helpful and friendly and you can't really fault the location, close to Friesenplatz, Rudolfplatz and the shopping. You can get to Barbarossaplatz/Koln Sud for trains and trams to Bonn really easily too (10min walk).

Room Tip: Don't book a single! It has no floor space!
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Terribly expensive due to fair in Cologne, I had to pay 300 Eur per night, for that poor hotel.
Staff not so friendly.
Old hotel, interior also old. When I enter my room - cold - heating system on minimum. Room not so big. Bathroom also small, bed OK.
Breakfast just normal, restaurant looks fine (just one positive element)
We were asking to organize a taxi for morning, when I came morning to verify that, shock, not possible because of fair. Reception said I will call a taxi but you have to be ready to go. Finally we did it, but such a system is not normal for me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Checked into this hotel on the recommendation of a friend and got a deal with the German Train (Bundebahn). it is not luxury, but the WIFI was good, breakfast was adequate, and the bed was comfortable. The hotel has seen better days but for the price in the middle of the city it is fine.
Do not expect much from the Staff, they seem overwhelmed by simple questions. All in all it is fine, it was clean and comfortable, not much to look at.