“Nice place for Vegans too”
Review of Bulgogi-Haus

Bulgogi-Haus
Ranked #7 of 2,566 Restaurants in Cologne
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nippes
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I am a vegan and I had a nice experience at this place. The dumplings were awesome, we also had some drinks which were really cool.

Another thing I liked about this place is that the waiters are real friendly here.
Do try the Aloe-vera juice in here ;)

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Korean restaurants are still rare in Germany. The Bulgogi Haus specializes in one thing and one thing only, but in a terrific way: Korean Barbecue. Every table has a grill in the middle where the food is grilled. The evening starts with Mandu (Korean dumplings) as appetizers. For the first main course a plate of thinly sliced beef and pork belly pieces are offered to be grilled. This is followed by Bulgogi: Lightly marinated thinly sliced beef and duck. Bulgogi is traditionally eaten by wrapping it in salad leaves or sesame leaves together with rice and some hot sauce. This was one of the best Bulgogi I ever had. The third part of the main course is sea food: Squid and shrimp. For garlic lovers the staff is happy to bring some sliced garlic that can be roasted with the food. At the end of the meal either Aloe Vera juice or Korean plum wine is served.

For drinks Früh Kölsch, one of the better beers of Cologne is on tap, as well as bottled Korean beers. A small but well selected variety of wines is also available. Furthermore Soju can be ordered.

When it comes to side dishes, however, improvements could be made: It seems to be hard to find good Kimchi outside of Korea. The Kimchi of the Bulgogi Haus is fairly mediocre. The same holds for their Kimbap.

The staff is outstanding and very attentive.
All in all it was a very entertaining evening. The ideal place to bring (non-vegetarian) family and friends.

2  Thank LAkasten
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Until yesterday, I was a Korean BBQ virgin. Now I am asking myself: What was I waiting for?

We didn't have a reservation and we were a group of 4 so we prepared to wait for the long haul. But we only had to wait about 30 minutes, totally reasonable. The staff was so helpful in explaining everything they put on the table, which was an immense spread of tasty goodness.

Portions within the set meals are generous, so even though we were 4 people, we had some leftovers.

All in all, we had a pleasant experience. The restaurant from the outsided doesn't look that impressive, but once you go in, you feel like being in a different world. The wait-staff was impeccable and the food was delicious. Good value for money. I'll be back and will bring friends!

1  Thank Sammy L
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We´ve been there a couple of times, the service is very friendly and helpful. The dishes are really big and everything is fresh. You can have a soup with a bit of rice, you can also taste some korean dishes like kimchi and chapchae but they give you a lot of meat with the special korean sauce and it´s really great. You must come, you will love it

1  Thank ceciliay8383
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The service is friendly and so good with very efficient explain about the food, a lot of different BBQ meats, shrimps, salads, noddles, special soups, rice and other side dishes. The BBQ's flavour is excellent and my family like also soups, which are nice harmony of ingredients. I love this restaurant and I will go again.

1  Thank Peter0516