“Good location near to U-Bahn, excellent parking and nice facilities, though no working aircon.”
Review of Hotel Santo

Hotel Santo
Ranked #20 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel was a bit awkward to find, if only because we don't know Cologne well at all and we weren't sure where the hotel's garage was. First impressions of the hotel were very good. Modern look, pleasant and helpful staff and a very secure garage once we got checked in. The corridors were compact, and the rooms weren't massive but they were more than enough for a couple of nights and were entirely comfortable. There was a Nespresso machine that had a couple of pods with it (additional pods were available for a charge...) The bathroom was really nice and modern with good facilities. It's close to an U-Bahn Station, and a large Rewe supermarket, as well as local restaurants, bars and shops. On returning to the hotel after dinner we had a drink in the bar which was OK - nice and quiet. As others have mentioned, the air conditioning wasn't working, and it did make for quite a warm night, particularly as there was a lot of building work going on across the road from the hotel so we didn't really want to open the window as we would be woken by the noise in the morning. Also, the bed was a little hard for my tastes, so as a result, the sleep quality wasn't quite what it could have been.
Breakfast was excellent, and the pancakes were a nice touch. There was free wifi throughout the hotel which worked excellently. All in all, despite the aircon, I would recommend this hotel and we would stay there again when in Cologne.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Foxyroadie

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hotel definitely was up to today's standards. I particularly liked the late weekend breakfast (until noon). I didn't like the bed (too hard), but otherwise good value for money. The location was perfect for us, as we drove and the hotel is not right in the tourist area and therefore easy to reach, but there is really nothing much to see within 15 minutes walk.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed in this quiet hotel on business for three nights. It is within a ten minute stroll of the central railway station but otherwise feels a bit isolated.

The hotel is clean and comfortable for a business trip. The reception staff are very helpful and friendly. The wifi works everywhere and is free. My room had a shower only [I like a bath!] - but I did not ask if rooms with bath are available.

I had lost my luggage and was glad that I had bought toothpaste and toothbrush and a hairbrush a the airport since none of these was provided.

But the hotel is fit for purpose and I would stay there again.

The only incongruity is in the large photographs set by the lifts. On the ground floor is a topless lady who seems to be wearing a surgical collar and lead - very off-putting. On my floor, you emerged from the lift to a naked, rather bony, lady holding her hands strategically but her pubic hair still on view. Also very off-putting.

So if you want modest business comfort at a good price with friendly and helpful staff, and don't mind naked women on the walls, this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

What started out as a semi-hip hotel not too far from Köln Dom and the train station turned into one of the worst overall experiences in many years. I am a 35-50 night/year guy so I have seen a lot to then rank it so low.
Issues on my two-night stay
- no air conditioning (not working). Hot days and warm nights meant I had to keep the window open to get any air. Still very hot. Cold showers kept me cool but at night the open window kept me awake many many times due to road noise etc below. They told me it was a long-term problem and it "can't be fixed on the weekend." Sorry, I checked in Weds and out Fri and it was broken before I got there. Weekend??
- no water (at all) for several hours. Not their fault as there was a break far away but no water to use to cool down was injury to insult.
- towels like sandpaper. Seriously, the roughest towels I can ever remember using.
- 2nd smallest room I have ever stayed in. A room in Korea is my personal winner for smallest. This was close. Yes, I had a "single" room but all furniture (bed, desk, TV) was touching. Hey, at least I didn't have to go far to open the window!

Positive:
- included breakfast was pretty good the first day. The second day the server gave me serious attitude for asking if they had more pancakes since the ones there had been sitting for hours = rubber.
- nice lobby/dining room
- they let me check in early after an overseas flight

I asked for a discount since I had no A/C for three days and two nights (and for nearly no sleep the first night). €20 off each night on my rate of €179. Wow, thanks for helping me feel great about this hotel.

I highly recommend you get a good deal or don't go here. Or at least confirm there is AC and bring your small suitcase.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank El_Jefe_de_viaje
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Some aspects of this hotel warrant a higher rating than average. Location is good, breakfast is good, reception are efficient and the price is fair. Unfortunately two things are really bad. The rooms are very small. I am not talking as an American tourist expecting huge rooms but as a man used to London and Paris hotels with their compact rooms. The room I had was minute ! I was on my way to reception to ask for another ( surely bigger ) room when I bumped into my business associate and he said his room was exactly the same. We were rushing to a meeting so decided to put up with the rooms. When I got in that evening I found there was no air conditioning in my room and so it was stifling in there. My work colleague had air conditioning in his room so I managed to find space on his floor to squeeze in and dossed down for the night.
I should think the air conditioning is being added room by room so check for it and room size before you accept what you are allocated

Room Tip: Make sure you have one of the rooms with air conditioning
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

First time we stayed at the Santos for a short stop in Cologne. Its only 5min walk from the train station. Rooms we're great, with enough space for a short stay. The breakfast was lovely and is served late until 12am.

Clean, modern & friendly! Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The hotel is really 4 stars. I spent 3 nights here, during summer and vacation period sadly, to work…
Front desk very helpful, details like shinning your shoes if you ask and considering the breakfast including things like fresh fruits flavored yogurt, champagne, scrambled and poached eggs, sausage, fruits, salmon, cakes, breads… Be prepared an high standard stay and to have delightful meals.
It’s 5 to 10 minutes walking from the Köln Hauptbanhof (Dome), in old side of the town, not exactly near to the crowd, but if you need silence to sleep and do not complain to walk a little, or even got a car, it works.
It’s not the cheapest, especially during the events at the Kölnmesse, but I would stay again, even paying EUR 100/night for a single room.
I got a single’s room, it means a smaller than the average, nevertheless, there was enough space to sleep and work in a decent manner. Besides, unlike other hotels where the room and the bathroom are small, the room has a good size bathroom, including room heater (which I did not use) and automatic water temperature control.
Refrigerator, vault, good hangers, LCD TV and a desk, nice and clean sheet and pillows, everything you need, no flaws but one little consideration, there is no air conditioning in cooling mode!
Yes, that’s a surprise to me, there’s heater but no way to cool my room. Anyway considering that we are talking about a place where it’s unusual more than 22 Celsius (72 Fahrenheit) and I live in a tropical country, 27 (the way it was during my stay), even 30 Celsius to me is “piece of cake”, but be aware to the weather forecast if you are from a “normal” country, you may not like it.
Summarizing my stay: really nice, great breakfast, helpful staff, almost perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioning (cooling mode) during the summer time.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business