“Good value for money, but very basic”

Ibis Cologne Centrum Hotel
Ranked #63 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Despite being called "Köln Centrum", this hotel is a long walk or short U-Bahn journey from the actual centre of Cologne. We found that the U-Bahn tickets really ate into our budget, so if you're trying to save money, you may prefer to stay in the Ibis which is next to the train station. The room was basic but fine. We were slightly disappointed to find that there was only free wifi in the lobby, in the room you had to pay for it. We were glad that we hadn't paid extra for breakfast, as there were a good selection of cares nearby selling pastries and coffee for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ibis Cologne Centrum Hotel

Reviewed August 12, 2013

You got what you paid for, and that is also 'ganz okay', have stayed at Ibis in other countries as well. The room is small, and the shower is only for midgets. Well, we still survived. With regards to the service, I was not so impressed. The lobby is under renovation, and fair enough. The workers have to do their work inside, but at times it seemed that they owned the place rather than the customers. Also, there was not really provided seats in the lobby in order to check emails on the free wifi - this was also the case in the evening where there were no workers. The true quality is seen when things are not in a normal situation, and here Ibis stayed in its normal average level.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ibis-Koeln-Centrum, Geschäftsführer at Ibis Cologne Centrum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear guests,

I would very much like to thank you for your stay in our hotel and for taking the time to tell us about your impressions and experience. We do everything we can to offer you optimum quality of service every time you stay here. Your opinion is therefore of great interest to us.

Unfortunately, I learned that you were not totally satisfied with the service you received. You
criticised the service we offered; you found it astonishing that you were only made aware of the
renovation work when checking in and that due to this work we were only able to offer breakfast
boxes instead of the usual breakfast buffet. Your stay was right in the middle of the renovation work at our hotel. We closed the entire public area of the hotel and were only able to provide a makeshift reception. We were also not able to offer the usual service at breakfast time and at the bar. Unfortunately, we did not inform all of our customers in advance about the renovation work. I wish to formally apologise to you for the inconvenience caused.

I wish to assure you that this is not the usual state of affairs at my hotel and that this also does not meet my standards as a host. We naturally would like to keep you as a satisfied guest of ibis Hotel Köln Centrum.

I wish to thank you once again for your comments. I hope that you can accept my apology and I hope to regain your trust during one of your next stays. After the renovation works have been complete in mid August, we will once again be able to offer you the usual high standard of service.

Yours sincerely; ibis Hotel Köln Centrum

i.V. Gordon Kleebaum; General Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have stayed in a few Ibis hotels before, and this one is further down the list of good places to stay. Whilst the name suggests that it is very central, it is a good 20+ minute walk from the main centre. The hotel is currently under a refurbishment so I appreciate that I probably did not see it at it's full potential. However, there was no air conditioning, and there was some building noise when you opened the window. Having said that, the staff were friendly and helpful and the value for money was good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
ibis-Koeln-Centrum, Geschäftsführer at Ibis Cologne Centrum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Hotel Guest, Thank you for your review, which helps us to constantly improve ourselves. My stay was in the middle of our renovation of the public areas. My impression gained by no means corresponds to the standard of Ibis Cologne Centrum Hotel. Complained about the points I will discuss with the concerned departments.

From 15 August shine our restaurant, bar, lobby, reception and the new launch in a stylish design.

We would appreciate if you use our service at your next visit to Cologne again in the future.

With kind regards

i.V. Gordon Kleebaum, Director

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We did a road trip from one end of Germany to the other using ibis hotel's and found them all to be very good but this one ( although was up to the usual standard) the rooms are a bit small but the location was excellent very good for seeing cologne.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to those who are going to Cologne for business only.

The hotel is not bad at all - clear, tidy and the price relatively good. It is 3 minutes walk from the nearest train station (Barbarossaplatz) and walking distance to Neu Market and to the Dom Hbf area (15-20 minutes walk). The best part is, it is close to Zulpicher Strasse, which has a lot of restaurants and bars for locals! I during my stay I tried to stay away from the Dom area, where there are a lot of tourist traps.

What the hotel is missing is the joy feeling towards it. The room is so practical that I don't find myself enjoying my room. There is a tv, and a desk, and that's about it. No extra decoration that makes you feels a bit pampering.

First night there was a thursday night so before 8am the next morning there were people walking around/showering/getting ready for work from the floor above. It's laminated flooring so you do hear every steps your neighbour above made. For someone who doesn't speak/read German, the Do not disturb sign was not very intuitive - we ended up having someone knocking on our door 3 times in the morning thinking we need the room made (oops).

There is no free wifi in the room (cost extra) but free wifi in the lobby. Breakfast was extra 10 euro/ person so we didn't go for it.

It's a good and clean budget hotel so please don't have too much expectation!

Room Tip: It is right next to a major road but they have sound proof window...so it doesn't really matter...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple