“Koelner Dom view”

Ranked #30 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Koelner Dom view”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night. It was extremely convenient for us since we arrived by train and leaved by train also. The hotel located in Haupbahnhof (the central station) building. The central station building itself is located at Koelner Dom square. When you step out the hotel you are in the most central location in the city. Moreover some rooms have a magnificent view over the Cathedral and the square.

The hotel offers simple and clean accommodation. Very basic rooms are functional, have everything a traveller need for a stopover. Breakfast was of normal quality, nothing special. Very decent hotel right by Cologne Cathedral.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
WA
Reviewed May 13, 2010

My wife and I spent a night there at the end of January 2010, as we had a very early train to London the next morning.

Good things:
* Friendly guy at counter. Gave us a choice of room on 4th or 3rd floor (had asked for view)
* Hotel is right in the main trainstation building. Any closer and you'd be sleeping on the platform :-)
* Very Clean
* Our room was facing the plaza (3rd floor) and had great view over Dom and plaza
* Room was very well noise insulated. Heard NO trainstation noise, and very little of the Dom bells.
* Lots of food places in trainstation within quick walking distance.
* Easy walking distance to Dom, old city and main shopping district.
* Car rental offices (3) right next door, and also a Starbucks.
* Massive Taxi-rank just outside, and it seems to have cabs in attendance from ~6am to well after midnight. We saw cabs in waiting queue till about 2am!
* Reasonably well priced, especially for the prime location.

Slightly less good:
* If having an elevator is a must for you, be aware that it won't go to the last (4th) floor.
* Rooms are very small, but good storage & bench space. No climbing over luggage.

Would definitely recommend it for any train traveller wanting a quick stopover. Also good for sightseers or business travelers who are out and about all day. A bit too small if you want to stay in for quite some time and aren't planning to sleep.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Great location if you arrive by train as the hotel is right at the train station. The rooms are really overpriced for what you get though, as it's just a standard 2 star Ibis.

I wouldn't stay here again, as I'm sure there are better options in the price range, although the location does make it worth considering.

Was really annoyed that they wouldn't let me use the hotel toilet once I had checked out as that was just for staff, so I had to pay at the train station.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
North of England
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Our flight got in after midnight, so after a fifteen minute train journey the last thing we wanted was a search for the hotel. it was a pleasant surprise to find an entrance actaully on the station.

All the reception staff throughout our five days were most helpfull. It would have been impossible to find a more convenient hotel to see Cologne and the surrounding area.

The hotel makes no claims to be a luxuary hotel, but the rooms are adequate and were kept spotlessly clean. There wasn't any noise from the station, it must be heaven for "train buffs" from the fourth floor corridor you can actually watch the trains come and go.

The small lounge'bar/snack area also has high speed internet and laser printer available free of charge.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone who is using it as a base to discover the area. Book through the Ibis website and large savings can be made of Rack Price. Breakfast was nothing to rave about and at 10 Euro was quite expensive. Within a short walk there are dozens of places to eat.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
croydon london
Reviewed June 18, 2009

stayed at this hotel for three nights the hotel is part of the railway station so it is so easy to get to from airport there is no train noise as all rooms face the square but you will get street noise as the squre is busy all day and night with a very busy cab rank outside so it can be a problem if you like to leave windows open at night but having said that it is in a top spot for visiting cologne with staff ok and breakfast ok i would stay here again

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank wave60
Tynemouth, UK
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We dismounted from our motorbike outside what looked like a bar in the Hauptbahnhof at Cologne. Oh dear, we thought. Booking in was OK but we were clearly part of the railway station still. From then on it just got better and better. Our room was spacious, a bit spartan but spotlessly clean (typical German standards). The view from our window was across to the Dom - beautiful. The view from our corridor was onto the platforms of the Hauptbahnhof - interesting. Our room was surprisingly quiet and comfortable. The shower/WC was more than adequate and the breakfast was excellent.
It rather goes to highlight the old "don't judge a book by its cover" saying. This was a really pleasant experience.
For bikers, the public parking across the square beneath the Dom is fine. Safe, dry and (if you ride around the barriers) quite a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed June 1, 2008

The location of this hotel is its good point. It is within the Cologne main train station and has an excellent view of the cathedral. There are tons of shops and restaurants right there. There is a Starbucks next door to their external entrance and just about anything else you'd want. As mentioned by other travelers, even though it is in the same building as the train station, I did not hear any of the noise from the trains at all.

The rooms are basic and the decor is too and that's all fine. The size of the room is probably a little above average for Europe.

The bad thing was that when I checked in to my room, I was greeted with a room that had not been cleaned and in fact the bed was FULL of long hair. Lots of it, as one would find in a hair salon. I called to the desk and the clerk there immediately came to my room to see its condition and promptly put me in another room. That room appeared to be fine but I was rather creeped out after that. I was already going to be moving to another city in two nights so I was ok to continue to stay there. However, other than promptly moving me to another room, there was no mention of their "15 minute guarantee" they offer on customer satisfaction and I was not offered any free breakfast, wifi or anything to make up for the disgusting condition of the bed. I didn't press for any compensation myself because I was exhausted from travel and wasn't really looking for a fight.

Ibis is kind of the Motel 6 of Europe anyway so it's not like I was expecting the Ritz, but this hotel was not cheap and one is clearly paying for the location which IS excellent. Still, it doesn't take a lot to make sure the room is clean.

I'm not to hip to the idea of booking there again. This was my second stay at an Ibis hotel

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank User09876