Excelsior Hotel Ernst
$88
  • Restaurant
Ibis Koeln Messe(Cologne)(Great Value!)
$78
  • Pool
$126
$94
  • Restaurant
Premiere Classe Hotel Koeln-West(Cologne)(Great Value!)
$61
$70
Hotels.com
  • Pool
1,321 results
All reviewshanse stubeleading hotels of the worldpiano bartrain stationthe free mini barbeautiful hotelturn down servicecologne cathedraljunior suitefive star hotelan upgradecathedral viewrooms are spaciousthe location is perfectin decemberchristmas marketbreakfast buffet is
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The hotel is an easy walk from the railway station. Staff were friendly and professional throughout our entire three day stay. The room was large and attractively furnished with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was large with an excellent shower and a separate bath. The free mini-bar was restocked each day. Television choices were excellent and included English language channels beyond the usual News channels. Internet was good but there was a charge.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
EHEKoeln, Geschäftsführer at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Eric and Dora,

Thank you very much for taking time to evaluate the Excelsior Hotel Ernst on this portal.

We are very proud to read that you appreciated our service quality and enjoyed your stay at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. We put great emphasis on the opinion of our guests to guarantee a consistently high level of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

This is an outstanding hotel. It is ideally situated beside the cathedral and main station, the rooms are spotlessly clean and well-provided, the service is faultless, and food excellent although the dinner menu was really beyond our purse,

Most visitors to Cologne are probably passing through rather than staying for any length of time, and for an overnight stay, treat yourself to this peaceful and welcoming oasis. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
EHEKoeln, Geschäftsführer at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Charles,

Thank you very much for your comment on the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

It is great to read that we could convince you of the hotel by itscentral location, next to the cathedral and the main station, as well as our service philosophy. We aim for making the stay of our guests as comforting and memorable as possible. It makes us proud to read that you felt this exactly that way.

We hope to welcome you again at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

With best regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2012

I picked the Excelsior Hotel Ernst (EHE) for my recent weekend visit to Cologne for two reasons: its #1 TA ranking and reviews, and its location. I'm glad I did; EHE is an outstanding hotel. (I also got a very good rate on Expedia -- $170/night, including all taxes and service charges.)

The EHE is lovely; the hotel property is beautiful, with marble, rubbed brass, and crystal chandeliers and other attractive lighting fixtures throughout the hotel. As others have mentioned, service was excellent: efficient, solicitous, and helpful. The doormen were particularly courteous and friendly. The only drawback I found during my EHE stay was the very expensive in-room internet charge, which I passed on (and used my own USB internet connection for 4 euros per day -- as opposed to the 22 euros/day the hotel would have charged). To be fair, the hotel staff did tell me that the business center (and presumably internet use therein) was free of charge.

I had a room on the 4th floor (of 5 in the hotel), and I was very pleased with it: spacious and luxurious, especially the large, white-and-gray marble-lined bathroom. All fixtures and linens were of the highest quality. The bed, while comfortable (a double, maybe queen, in my room), had a rather low-off-the-ground mattress for my taste, but I slept very soundly both nights, so no real complaint. The room had a (typically German) A/C unit, i.e. a rather odd but functional stand-up fan unit with a remote (just outside the window) A/C compressor. It was actually quite warm in Cologne for an April weekend, and I used the A/C a couple of times to cool the room before sleeping. It was a bit noisy but worked well.

What else? Yeah; the location is ideal: steps from the main train station and Dom (Cathedral). The U-Bahn entrance -- and thus connections to everywhere in the city -- is pretty much next to the hotel. Despite the very central and busy location, my room (with modern double-paned windows) was perfectly quiet. Again, the 19th-century bones of the hotel provided nice visuals and a sense of spaciousness -- even my bathroom had a very high ceiling.

Well done, EHE; I'll be back.

p.s. Cologne is wonderful, lively, very tourist-friendly city -- rivals Berlin as the best big-visit destination for visitors (novice or experienced) to Germany.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your positive and detailed comment on the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

We are delighted to read that you have been pleased with our services and facilities. Your feedback is most encouraging in our quest for quality and highest standards of service.

We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I chose the hotel for its proximity to the Cathedral and that it was an old 19th century building. I was not disappointed. Its perfectly positioned and very luxurious. The service was impeccable, probably some of the best I have ever experienced.
The restaurant is expensive - but its a gourmet treat.
I have nothing but positive things to say about this charming (though not small) hotel that seems to be run with a great deal of attention to detail and old school guest services.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Helen,

Thank you very much for your positive comment on the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

It makes us proud to read, that you had such a pleasant stay at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.
Thank you as well for your compliments to the service philosophy and the restaurant outlet. Reading comments like these are not only an affirmation for all colleagues but also a motivation.

We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

In line with the recent reviews, this is a nice hotel with good service from the staff.

On check in I was upgraded to a larger room. The room was large, but perhaps a bit bland with regards to decour. Mind, how much time do you spend in your room. A nice touch on check in was being shown to your room, where you were taken through the use of the recently installed multi channel TV system (which included BBC News etc) and an added benefit (surprise) that the mini-bar was included in the room price (couple of beers-water, sparkling drinks and fruit juice). The room was clean, as was the bathroom. There was also a mini-safe (no charge).

The hotel is very pleasant inside, and the staff were very welcoming and helpful.

The only slight downside was that I prefer for my room to be cool when sleeping. The room has a basic temperature and two speed fan selection control. Unfortunately when the fan was running, you could hear a low level hum and it was a bit annoying until you got used to it. And the other comment was that the double bed consisted of two singles pushed together, with two seperate duvet's - why ? I struggled with this format, but guess for some it would not bother them. I also had breakfast one morning, but be prepared to have slighty deep pockets (~30 euro for buffet).

Location wise, it is excellent, with a short walk from the train station and local bars, restaurants etc. Would I stay again ? Yes.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Fordy105

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

We are delighted to read that you have been pleased with our services and facilities. We regret that we could not reach all your expectations and sincerely hope you accept our apologies for the inconveniences caused. Your feedback is most important in our quest for quality and highest standards of service.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel in the not too distant future we remain

for the Excelsior Hotel Ernst team,