“Horrible staff”

Central Hotel am Dom
Ranked #214 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have turned up at 1230 and the guy at reception told me my room wasn't ready because I was "too early". Since when you blame a customer who turned up well after the check in time? The young lady at reception in the afternoon was extremely unfriendly when I have asked how to use their wifi. The icing on the cake was the night shift guy though - I think his name was Anderle. When I returned to the hotel I have asked for the key of room 223 (I was actually in room 233 but I have mismatched the numbers) Because of this he treated me like a retard - he said there wasn't such a room and instead of looking on their system for my name he insisted my key wasn't there. When he finally found it he threw it at me like I was the worst criminal ever. Guys if you don't have any soft skills you should change career. I will have to travel to Cologne regularly for at least the next 12 months but I will NOT stay there ever again. Shame on you!

Room Tip: Just DON't stay at this property
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Daniel74_28

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very good location. Within walking distance from Hauptbahnhof and the cathedral. If you're on low budget, I probably would recommend this because of the location but if you have some extra to spend I would go somewhere else. Rooms are about the size of a regular closet. Although the sheets were clean the room itself needed... well, bleaching or something. However: we slept well, there was warm water in the shower and as I said the sheets were clean so I guess it was worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2013

i thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. i would recommend anyone to come stay in this hotel, especially if they want convenient access to the cathedral or the hauptbahnhof. things are well furnished and it was a pleasure to spend the night.

Room Tip: the rooms in the top stories are quieter... but sometimes it takes effort to get to them
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

as long as we were walking around, somebody of hotels staff touched and ruined our personal stuff. Reception staff could not explain, what happened. Room were tiny, only one good thing is location, but its still not enought for good vacation.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This place is terrible. My first time in Germany and I arrived alone. After a l. g flight, train ride, and walk in freezing temps I was greeted by a grumpy man. As I was checking in, a man came over to help with my bags and was shewed away by a woman saying No American! I took it to mean that helping Americans was not a practice they employed. After walking a long path through a Chinese kitchen, climbing over a dozen steep stairs hauling my heavy bags, I discovered my key didn't work. After returning to reception via the same irritating path through the restaurant, I was told my door slides not pushes open. The room was awful and TINY. More stairs inside. No where to lay a suitcase and the decor was awful. The view was the backside of apartments. I wasn't allowed to dial an outside line from the room. At night we were scolded by an old man as we came in because we didnt leave our key at the desk when we left which would have had us walking through the Chinese restaurant again and waiting for someone to return to the desk. The walls were paper thin and our beds kept separating and rolling apart. ( we booked a king room but ended up with a double single) My hair and clothes smelled like chinese food the entire time.

The worst hotel experience I have ever had. Motel 6 would be luxe in comparison

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank MsMandieMae
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Rooms were tiny and so hot. Couldn't adjust Heater. because they were under the table and you couldn't get to them unless you crawled on floor We ended up opening the windows or suffocate.
The Hallway STANK to high Heaven. Nauseating!!!!!
Receptionist(s) were not friendly at check-in and Check-out.Told us we had to leave key at reception at all times if we were leaving Hotel . I don't think so!
Told us Rooms would be ready at 2pm and when we got there at 3 they were still cleaning them
Parking was around the corner about a 5 minute walk from Hotel. Not very convenient
Elevator has to be from the 20's Its beyond small.
Exterior and Lobby need desperate Make-over.
Pros- close to Dom and Breakfast was OK
Would not recommend

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pocn48
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is placed in the old city, 50 m from the Dom and the Main Train Station, which is a very good location.
The room was clean, everything working and no frills. Cons are, the room is small, old fashioned (if there`s any fashion to consider), and the bed, small and as every budget hotel I`ve stayed in Europe, smells cigarette, but just a couple of hours of open window solves the problem.
There`s heating but no refrigeration in the room, but considering the local weather, seems that you`ll not need it.
The front desk staff is very efficient and speaks English, which is a must for me.
Breakfast is good considering the price (EUR 6.00) but the internet price (EUR 9.90 each 24 hour) is expensive for me but, since it`s hard to find a hotel with free internet, to pay is the only way to get wi-fi connection. What you can try is to walk few steps in the curb and buy a SIM card of a local operator and use it to avoid roaming fees.
If you like, there is a McDonald`s 30 m away but you can eat in the Main station (Hauptbanhof) with a dozen of economy restaurants (50 m), including Burger King.
I consider as a fair hotel, no, absolutely no frills, clean and works as it should be. Do not expect a 5 stars, it`s a fair price place in a great location to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business